You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading the comments section on Stereogum reacting to this tune, and I came across two comments that particularly summed up how I feel:

"The best thing that ever happened. A boy"?

"To a boy"? or "Oh Boy"?

This sounds like "The Real Thing" if "The Real Thing" was edited for being too "European". I understand late period U2 has embraced stadium sized earnestness, which is strange because they've always had in interest in dancier sounds and the pop landscape is all over this trend right now. I feel like U2 thinks that their Popmart (the original Everything Now) period was a total disaster, and, in order to maintain their grip on the biggest band in the world classification, they have to produce toothless, mash potato sandwich tracks. But they're forgetting that they did Actung Baby before that period and the reason they declined was nor because they experimented with different sounds, but because they let concept get in the way of songwriting (sound familiar?). U2 should head back into the studio an attempt to record an album that excites them because I can't imagine they listen to this song and think "this is what we've been working towards our whole career."

But, who knows, maybe they feel like their more daring material was them caving to the world's expectations and all they ever wanted to do was soundtrack society's ride home after a day of work where he scored a minor victory, and Julie stopped at his desk to as him what he was up to this weekend. This is, of course, discounting the fact that Julie was passively aggressively trying to get someone to cover her shift but, still, maybe doing so will demonstrate what a good guy Society is, and cause her to reconsider her destructive demeaning relationship with Logan in sales, who fulfills her sexually, sure, but cannot possibly give her the life that her parents want for her, something that, right now, seems antithetical to every her soul cries out for, but, over time, will be seen prescient; evidence that the status quo only gets a bad rap because guys like Logan (I mean, are people named Logan really old enough to hold down lucrative jobs already?) know it's their only defense, considering they have not one dollar put away in anything resembling a 401k, don't want children, and are definitely sleeping with Tami in HR.

And

Agree with Cokeparty - they seemed to continue to react in an overly sensitive manner to the confused (but not hateful as Arcade Fire has received of late) reaction the band received during their Popmart era. Which is a shame given that record's ambition with techno, dance and dark lyrical themes which makes it sound so much more fresher and relevant today than anything they produced from 2000 onwards.

Along with an obsession to appeal to beige middle American tastes who were so put off by their 90s European infused music and only ever wanted Joshua Tree mk II, these post 2000 years they seem to be concerned with producing music for big arenas as opposed to making the music and then figuring out how they will play it in the big arenas. Don't get me wrong, as shown by their recent Innocence and Experience Tour they can still put together a show with great themes, emotion and depth but it is striking that such facets of their show are qualified by their older output and not so much their newer stuff.

And yet despite their relative shortcomings in recent years, I'm still far more interested in hearing and seeing what they perform as opposed to other big arena selling acts like shameless U2 ripoff Coldplay who have become one of the most shameless disposable pop acts what with their cheap sounding Stargate and Chainsmokers produced efforts.

I think it's the chord progressions which remind you and others about it being something pop or radio-friendly. California uses a D-A-E-F#m progression in its verses and D-A-F#m-E in its choruses, which matches songs like Bastille's Pompeii or Let's Go by Matt and Kim. Upbeat tunes that seem to fit on the radio.

You're the Best Thing has G-A-D-Bm in its chorus, which matches the choruses of Lady Gaga's Paparazzi and Pink's Try, off-hand that I can think of. The band's used those chords for songs like The Miracle and In a Little While's choruses too.

For me it's just the sound of it, the feel of it -- it feels synthetic to me (if that makes any sense). It feels like it's trying to be something else. It doesn't resonate with me at this time (much like California doesn't even after several listens).

One of the things I find extremely frustrating about these two songs (and once again, this is just me) is that there are great ideas in there (whether it's a melody or chorus or sound) but it's crammed against this pop radio sensibility.

And that's fine and people will love the song and that's a beautiful thing.

For me it's just the sound of it, the feel of it -- it feels synthetic to me (if that makes any sense). It feels like it's trying to be something else. It doesn't resonate with me at this time (much like California doesn't even after several listens).

One of the things I find extremely frustrating about these two songs (and once again, this is just me) is that there are great ideas in there (whether it's a melody or chorus or sound) but it's crammed against this pop radio sensibility.

And that's fine and people will love the song and that's a beautiful thing.

Would need a few more listens to The Best Thing to give the opinion there. But people have said similar things about SOI (and California) having a modern "sheen" of some sort or whatever, which might be what you're referring to there... along with the light synths or whatever going on with it. I guess that combined with how it's structured might have something to do with why people feel like that (maybe?).

Well...i really like it..a lot
Didn't expect it. Didn't like kygo mix very much, it was OK.
And now I listened it two times on YouTube, and then 5 times loud in the car, and I like it a lot!

It's pure pop tune. It sounds effortless and, for better words, honest. It's not trying to be anything that it's not - it's pure catchy pop tune.
I thought it will not be better than Blackout, but in the end It is. After this the Blackout is Mish mash of sharper rock tune and pop chorus. It is not rock like zoo station or btbs, and it's not pure pop.
I like this better and that's unexpected for me personally.

I like the lyrics and like the way he sings it - it has space, bono doesn't overcrowd it with too many words.
Drums are great...they keep the song going

I don't prefere anything after POP, and listen to newer albums rarely. This is in a way the similar style but I like it.

Also - somehow it's like they decided light fun tune like hey did with Crystal ballroom, but in different style. Ballroom is cooler, but this is cool as well. I'm even glad they didn't go with that guitar as it just reminds me of jumping on the bandwagon after the daft punk success.

All in all - like it much more than I expected.

Would need a few more listens to The Best Thing to give the opinion there. But people have said similar things about SOI (and California) having a modern "sheen" of some sort or whatever, which might be what you're referring to there... along with the light synths or whatever going on with it. I guess that combined with how it's structured might have something to do with why people feel like that (maybe?).

Possibly.

I found most of SOI to be very complete in its idea and sounds. Some of it may have been a bit over produced, but the songs (snd once again, most of the album)actually took me to a place and created visual pictures to such a clear extent that I haven't personally had since POP.

But that's just me.

California is a track I usually skip (although the acoustic version is better in my opinion, although the synth horns, eh...) but the rest of the album, man some really great stuff on there.

I love it. It's a new direction for U2. They really don't disappoint. Looking forward to SOE.

The glass is not half empty...it IS full!

Funny thing that there are so many complaints about how this song was tinkered with, yet no one can actually say they heard the original, and beach clips don't count.

Also, maybe it was tinkered with, but I don't think it sounds overcooked.

I does sound tinkered with...but all songs these days are tinkered with. The trick is to make it sound like they're not done by committee and tinkered with. And...did I mention this song sounds tinkered with?

That said, you're right, it doesn't sound overcooked. Maybe over thought.

You're absolutely right - the only problem is that you have to search for the good song inside of this track, as opposed to it just presenting itself.

My initial thoughts were somewhat similar to this but now I find that those changes in direction are adding depth and texture to it.....for me at least.

You're absolutely right - the only problem is that you have to search for the good song inside of this track, as opposed to it just presenting itself.

Just what you want in a lead single! Something you have to think about and look "inside" of to realise that it really good song, no matter what your ears may be telling you.

I think you guys are over complicating things. The song is not that dense where it's impossible to find a pop song. I think it's pretty damn straightforward.

Well would you look at that...

TBT sandwiched between the two new Taylor Swift songs on the iTunes Hot Tracks list. Not bad.

Ugh....I'll say it and if I'm wrong who cares but this song is going to be a top 40 hit.

It will get sales from U2 fans initially and then rise again. It will also get a lot of radio play....most since Vertigo (Hot AC, Triple A, Mainstream Rock, Alternative Rock and maybe....maybe some top 40!

I think you guys are over complicating things. The song is not that dense where it's impossible to find a pop song. I think it's pretty damn straightforward.

yeah I don't really understand this complaint.

if you don't like the song, that's fine. if you love the song, that's fine. but it's not really a difficult song to find.

I really really really hope this is the biggest song of their career. I hope it wins every song award this year. I hope it gets its own postage stamp, holiday and statue. Don't get me wrong, I don't like it that much, but I really want U2 to get this pop-sensation-heard-around-the-globe fantasy out of their system. So please, world. Give it to them so we can get back to the inspired U2 we all know and love for their next daring effort, 2036's album of the year and of human existence, Songs of Interference.

It's at 43 in the Australian iTunes chart.
Important to remember two things:
1 - it came out at 10:00pm here, and its only 6:45am now, and
2 - Australia ran away from this band in the last 8 years more than most markets.

This song is starting to impress me. After the first I thought: what a mess, but after some more listens I am starting to appreciate the craftsmanship in this song.

It consists of a multitude of parts that do come together once you have heard the song more than once.

Part 1. Edge guitar and Bono
Part 2. Bass and drums join
Part 3.a chorus simple
Part 3.b chorus with guitar and drums
Part 4. Switch, song seems to start again
Part 5. = part 3a
Part 6. = part 3b
Part 7. Walking away
Part 8. Solo
Part 9. I can see
Part 10. = part 3b
Part 11. Walking away + end

The weird thing is I don't dislike the song, per se. I actually quite like each part of the song. I just don't think they come together as well as they easily could have.

Real World - U2 just released a catchy song. Nice!

Interference - U2 just released a catchy song. Fuck!

Real World - U2 just released a catchy song. Nice!

Interference - U2 just released a catchy song. Fuck!

Pretty much it seems.

My initial disappointment was mostly because of what the beach clip sounded like. I am still dumbfounded about removing Edge's riff from the first half of the chorus.

That said, I woke up half an hour ago wanting to hear it again. Theres something there, and I need to get over my expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom