You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found yet another positive review... this one from USA Today. Haven't seen a single negative review from a critic yet. Has anyone else?

Here's USA Today's:

Despite 2017's tumultuous political climate, it's not all doomsday and darkness for U2 these days.

On Wednesday, the group shared You're the Best Thing About Me, their lead single from their forthcoming album Songs of Experience, the follow-up to 2014's release Songs of Innocence.

You're the Best Thing About Me is a glittering arena-rock anthem with a touch of wistfulness, seeing Bono and co. celebrating love while grappling whether to walk away. Despite its undertones of heartbreak, the song is still more upbeat than The Blackout, another new song U2 shared last week, which features deliberately-political lyrics including, "A dinosaur, wonders why it's still on the earth / A meteor, promises it's not gonna hurt" and "Statues fall, democracy is flat on its back / We had it all, and what we had is not coming back."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...thing-about-me-songs-of-experience/637748001/

Well would you look at that...

TBT sandwiched between the two new Taylor Swift songs on the iTunes Hot Tracks list. Not bad.

Where you see those?

I posted one I found on the last page.

Amazon Music has this one:
DJD_eSxXYAEPRdW.jpg

And iHeart stations have been using this one:
DJD_eSuXgAA_p91.jpg

Both appear to be from the Corbin photoshoot 2 years ago.

Getting multiple plays on Spectrum and Alt Nation on SiriusXM.

I did enjoy it more in the car then here on my 'puter.

A little surprising because I wouldn't consider an Alt Rock song. Would feel more at home on The Pulse.

The Best Thing single is what happens when a band becomes obsessed with Top 40 glory....just give it up already! The kiddies don't care. The Blackout and Little Things are really good though and excited for the studio versions.

At least there are other cool releases this week to remind me of bands that don't give up an ounce of artistic integrity for the sake of being popular - LCD Soundsystem and The National. The LCD album is awesome.

Found yet another positive review... this one from USA Today. Haven't seen a single negative review from a critic yet. Has anyone else?

Here's USA Today's:

Despite 2017's tumultuous political climate, it's not all doomsday and darkness for U2 these days.

On Wednesday, the group shared You're the Best Thing About Me, their lead single from their forthcoming album Songs of Experience, the follow-up to 2014's release Songs of Innocence.

You're the Best Thing About Me is a glittering arena-rock anthem with a touch of wistfulness, seeing Bono and co. celebrating love while grappling whether to walk away. Despite its undertones of heartbreak, the song is still more upbeat than The Blackout, another new song U2 shared last week, which features deliberately-political lyrics including, "A dinosaur, wonders why it's still on the earth / A meteor, promises it's not gonna hurt" and "Statues fall, democracy is flat on its back / We had it all, and what we had is not coming back."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...thing-about-me-songs-of-experience/637748001/

Isn't every U2 lead single described as an "arena rock anthem"?

A little disappointed to hear how much they tinkered with this. This is a *great* song ruined by awful production. And I'm not talking about sound quality, but rather song arrangement and direction.

First and foremost, let me throw my name in with the lot that says that "the best thing that ever happen a boy" is possibly the worst lyric Bono's ever written. That's Bongolese that never got rewritten and, for some reason, the band decided to keep it. I can't believe they didn't change this line. Also - why force the rhyme? Why keep either couplet? It's not like "I'm the kind of trouble that you enjoy" is a good line, either. It's incredibly clunky.

Speaking of which, these lyrics just aren't good.

Lastly, the band really ignored the dynamics that the Kygo version really thrived on. The song never really takes off because it never really changes. It only slightly builds. The drums and bass should drop out during the first "You're the best thing about me...." and then come crashing back in during the second half of the chorus to give the song true liftoff. Again - during the "why am I walking away?" bridge, a dropoff would have worked as well, a la "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses."

Also - what's with the transition to the second verse? So jarring and clunky. "Why am I walking away" would have worked as a transition into the second verse as well.

I hate to say this, but this sounds like a Train song. This is U2's "Hey Soul Sister." And that's not a compliment, though unfortunately if I said that to Bono and The Edge, they'd probably light up and pat themselves on the back for it. That's the band's attitude towards its music these days - they're grasping for radio relevancy.

The good news is that there *is* a good song in here. Every piece of this song is very catchy. Also, whereas I thought The Blackout turned into a mess around the bridge, this song remains consistent throughout. It's a bunch of good ingredients that somehow don't make a great meal.

I never thought I'd say this, but perhaps an album delay would be a *good* thing.

Listening to your favorite band's song over and over is what fans do. It's a good line above-- but it's bogus.

I can' listen to Get On Your Boots for 100 years and never say it's a grower.

But I think the point was more the group think syndrome when I you know some shitty music and shitty tv shows and Oscar nominated movies are bad -- but 1 big time reviewer says it's "great" and the sheep follow afraid to admit they didn't like a movie, a song or a TV show.

So far I loved the D J mix more -- but this song has 3 or 4 amazing parts. I just don't know if they flow together and shouldn't be in 3 separate songs.

NEW FUN GAME TIME:

The Best Thing About Me -- My small penis
Listening to your favorite band's song over is one thing...

Listening to it 30 times in a row on repeat is another.

And yes, some or you did that this morning. You know who you are..

re those pictures

Someone please tell Bono to go back to the aviators. They are eons better than those stupid little things he's got planted on his face now.

Are my eyes deceiving me or is it actually the Number 2 song on the iTunes Hot Tracks chart right now? Damn.

This and California sound like songs written for other artists.

Like, I can't wait to hear the Chris Martin/Katy Perry duet of California at some U2 tribute show.

You're The Best Thing sounds like it could be sung by (insert name of male pop star of the moment).

You're The Best Thing sounds like it could be sung by (insert name of male pop star of the moment).

Except it doesn't. Current pop stars - the Biebers, Weeknds, etc. - are pushing a more hip-hop-centric, darker sound.

This is more like something Train would put out.

Are my eyes deceiving me or is it actually the Number 2 song on the iTunes Hot Tracks chart right now? Damn.

It is, but I think that particular list is curated like a playlist. Top Songs are top sales of the day and The Best Thing is #25.

Also of note: The Joshua Tree is the #39 album download & U218 is #193.

Six hours in, sorry for me, this just isn't the '3 years later' come back, I feel it's in Always, Are You Gonna Live Forever B Side-ish company at best and those are decent B Sides so that is not some super 'this sucks' diss. :shifty:

As a U2 oldy, I've absorbed and listened to in real time every new pre-album single since NYD around Dec 1982 but the last decade's worth? Saints/Window, Boots, Ramone and now this, the choices have been rather disappointing.

This and California sound like songs written for other artists.

Like, I can't wait to hear the Chris Martin/Katy Perry duet of California at some U2 tribute show.

I think it's the chord progressions which remind you and others about it being something pop or radio-friendly. California uses a D-A-E-F#m progression in its verses and D-A-F#m-E in its choruses, which matches songs like Bastille's Pompeii or Let's Go by Matt and Kim. Upbeat tunes that seem to fit on the radio.

You're the Best Thing has G-A-D-Bm in its chorus, which matches the choruses of Lady Gaga's Paparazzi and Pink's Try, off-hand that I can think of. The band's used those chords for songs like The Miracle and In a Little While's choruses too.

Funny thing that there are so many complaints about how this song was tinkered with, yet no one can actually say they heard the original, and beach clips don't count.

Also, maybe it was tinkered with, but I don't think it sounds overcooked.

As a general rule, always side with me. :wink:

Well, I guess that definitely helps for future reference then. :D

Funny thing that there are so many complaints about how this song was tinkered with, yet no one can actually say they heard the original, and beach clips don't count.

Also, maybe it was tinkered with, but I don't think it sounds overcooked.

Pretty much. All musicians are going to "tinker" with songs they write... some longer than others. We just pay attention when this band says they do it in interviews.

Listening to your favorite band's song over is one thing...

Listening to it 30 times in a row on repeat is another.

And yes, some or you did that this morning. You know who you are..

I stopped at 10 or so cause I didn't want to get caught in that loop of not listening objectively.
I figured 10 listens on my crappy phone speakers. Give it a day and then listen to good quality on headphones. then reassess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom