You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bummer coz the hook didn’t need any of the crap. It sounds like a medley

Exactly - all they had to do was that hook 5 times. Instead it's like 4 songs meshed together. Trying a few more listens

2:35 min to 3:00 min into the song it totally loses the thread. Kills it for me

The groovy melody has been killed. Tried a second listen and na..... Worse than the Miracle.

I think when it was a basic pop song that highlighted the hooks there was a simple magic to it. I can't find that magic on first listen. Hoping it grows.

Do not think you can hear some of those hooks near the end of the song - as snippets before it wraps up? They get buried by other stuff though.

Holy fuck this is terrible.

It's a total mess. The chorus, verses, and solo don't go together. They're from three different songs. The "why am I walking away?" bit is possibly from a fourth. The processed horns or whatever the hell they are in the second verse sound cheap and dated and make me cringe. The opening lyric about "you look so good the pain on your face doesn't show" is awful and creepy.

I thought the chorus was a bit generic 2010s radio pop, but it's well ahead of the dreadful verses. I expected to be lukewarm about this, but I didn't expect to consider this a Boots-level mess. How the fuck did they choose this ahead of Blackout? Are they insane?

Just to rub it in, Spotify put In a Little While on straight after Best Thing. Yeah, fuck you, too.

According to tidal it was produced by Ryan Tedder, Steve Lillywhite and Jacknife Lee. No wonder for the mess. They had a great pop melody in their hands and they lost their chance once again.

On first couple of listens, I prefer this to The Blackout by quite some distance. after hearing and not really liking the kygo mix this is a really pleasant surprise!

The only minor thing is I hate the line "the best thing that happened a boy", but that is pretty minor.

Really like this! (still not crazy about blackout).

Really?

It's a shit load catchier than Miracle. Bear in mind this is a song for the masses, not the fans

For the masses? This isn't going to do well on the charts, mark my words.

Yup. This is really bad. The end of each chorus just peters out.
After 3 minutes, it's a different song entirely.

A copy and pasted mess of a song(s).

Oh god the usual suspects are out in force I see just had a quick listen, not as good as the blackout but no where nearly as bad as people are going on about

This song embodies all of the indecision they've been displaying since at least 2009, their desire to be everything to everyone. Ugh.

The production is saccharine garbage. At least the Kygo cut was straight up techno/dance. I also missed the groove/Nile Rogers guitar during the chorus on this one. I need to listen more but didn't love it at first glance. Also agree with Ax- sounds like 3 songs in one, similar to Boots.

Upon second listen I love it. It sounds great through headphones and not shitty computer speakers.
Some notes....

Adam's overdriven bass in the verses sounds awesome
The transition from first chorus back to verse is jarring and bizarre.
Love how the second half of the chorus explodes
Is that really Bono singing the "I can see you love her" bridge part? Sounds a bit like Edge.
So far Adam is killing it on this record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom