You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL. Was at work when the song appeared on Spotify, but didn't want to listen to it there (since I hate my job ;) ). But I read all the posts on forums appearing as it was released and was really disappointed before I even heard the song. I thought it was crap from all comments here and atu2. Came home and put it on loudly on my headphones, and hated it by default. It took two minutes before I was sitting there and smiling. I love the song. Some of those who are saying it is U2 trying to make a simple pop song are contradicting themselves, because they are at the same time saying there are layers here that do not fit in. It is in fact a bit more complex, and the more I listen the more I understand the song. Takes time.

LOL. Was at work when the song appeared on Spotify, but didn't want to listen to it there (since I hate my job ;) ). But I read all the posts on forums appearing as it was released and was really disappointed before I even heard the song. I thought it was crap from all comments here and atu2. Came home and put it on loudly on my headphones, and hated it by default. It took two minutes before I was sitting there and smiling. I love the song. Some of those who are saying it is U2 trying to make a simple pop song are contradicting themselves, because they are at the same time saying there are layers here that do not fit in. It is in fact a bit more complex, and the more I listen the more I understand the song. Takes time.

:up:

I like the single. Very catchy and Larry owns it. It was the first thing that I noticed on my first listen. Larry's on board. The last time Larry showed his worth like this above the rest of the band on a first single was probably Desire (for me).
I'm not a big U2 singles guy. Personally, the heart of the band is in the deeper cuts. Also, I'm way more interested in what SOE could be, based on these 3 songs, than what SOI offered.

The part at 2:47 I find really interesting and surprising, and it gets more interesting with Edges vocals, and then back to the chorus. Because the part at 2:47 and Edges vocals seems at the first listen a little off, but then it makes sense when the chorus hits in again. Then on the second listen I already know, and it is great.

Well BLACKOUT is a lot better! I've been a fan since the mid 80s and this tune isn't bad but it WON'T last the test of time! 3/5 for me, Blackout 5/5

is the sci-fi soul mix official? great to hear two versions of the song, really tend to like it, certainly not better than the blackout, but it's new U2, i'm grateful!

This may be a grower, guys....but that transition (or lack thereof) at 1:23 cannot be glossed over as a brave arrangement. It's a clumsy smash up no matter how you paint it. For me, at least, it's getting better with repeat listens.

Sci-Fi Soul Mix (from Venus) is OK.... album version quite a mess production-wise. I can hear different mixes in one song.... from verses to chorus there is quite a difference in "sound-colour" and volume in bonos vocals.

They should just pull a Weezer/Kanye and put a different mix on the album in December

Home from work, put headphones on and still don't get the hate if received from people earlier, as good as blackout? Nope, but a good first single and miles better than boots and miracle IMO

i agree that it does sound a bit "cobbled together"in that the verses and chorus are completely different and sounds like they took the ideas from 2 different songs.

That being said, it's pure pop. I like it a lot. It's pretty amazing how diverse this band can be. SoE already has 3 totally different and distinct songs that we've heard so far. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

I can hear different mixes in one song.... from verses to chorus there is quite a difference in "sound-colour" and volume in bonos vocals.

Yeah. Do they not have a single "truth teller" on staff that can speak up about this kind of thing? I guess I can sort of imagine the band listening to 1,000 different mixes and losing the thread... but someone with fresh ears should have stepped in.

Sci-Fi Soul Mix (from Venus) is OK.... album version quite a mess production-wise. I can hear different mixes in one song.... from verses to chorus there is quite a difference in "sound-colour" and volume in bonos vocals.

How can this happen to a band with such resources and experience?

The dreaded overcook with too many chefs?

Danny? Brian? Where are you when we need you most?

As of now, I think I've listened to it more than I have Blackout. Not that I dislike the latter, but I think I prefer this one.

It is pop, but U2 has done better. And remixes pwn the band version.

Personally I think Blackout should have been the single, or at least they should have gone with a remix of TBT.

Now that it has sunk in, I like it more. Yes the production is a mess and maybe they'll clean it up for the album. It's a decent song that cooked too long, Which seems to be the general consensus. It won't be the huge hit they're hoping for, but it's not a Boots-like clunker either. I prefer Blackout and Little Things, but I'll wait until I hear it in the context of the album before passing final judgement.

Was a little meh on the first listen. Been listening to it all morning and I've really come around. TBT is a crazy grower and now I kind of love it. I'm really hopeful for the new album after these first two tracks. The raw feeling of the production is a welcome change after the saccharine gloss of SOI. The hook in TBT is a weapons grade earworm (no surprise there, we've known that for a year). As much as the bridge is a little wonky, the counter melody there really opens up the song and makes it feel like more than a one dimensional hook machine, and the broken back beat over the chorus, another thing I initially balked at, keeps the track from feeling rote.

I get why people here don't like this. At first blush it sounds anonymous and cloying, like a parody of all their "need for relevance" singles, and like the chorus falters just before it should be getting airborne. But the more I dig into this track, the more I feel like it has potential to be a great song in their cannon. It won't be a hit (they're too old) but it's good and will serve them well.

Of course, I literally have the worst track record here. Every post I've ever made was immediately proven wrong/dumb. So, knock on wood, this thing will bomb super hard. If my track record holds, get ready for TBT to be the biggest hit of their career. ;)

The positive of this song is that it is a lot better than than lead singles off the last two albums - Miracle and the awful Get On Your Boots

It's a hell of a lot better than Taylor Swift's new song.

I like it, more than I thought I would. Edge sounds generally great in particular. I don't see it as having much more staying power than, say, Crazy Tonight, but I enjoy it in the moment. Probably more than Blackout. I've listened to it a bunch today and it's made my workday better.

By far the worst first single for a U2 record ever. Not even close.

Just stunning how completely un-engaging and "unsingle" like this song is. Seriously, what are they thinking? Blackout, which isn't great, is a much better song, and certainly better choice for a single, than this. Wow. I almost want to say it's meant as a joke? This sounds like a b-side. Bonus track on the Japanese CD.

I haven't even read the comments in this thread...do people really like this song?

Last edited:
There are so many whiners on this board. This is a good song people!

The verse is incredibly catchy and has been replaying in my head all morning. I love the lyrics.

The chorus is a totally different key but the transition sounds like it belongs. I'm really intrigued by it! Very catchy and this will be a pop success.

By far the worst first single for a U2 record ever. Not even close.

Just stunning how completely un-engaging and "unsingle" like this song is. Seriously, what are they thinking? Blackout, which isn't great, is a much better song, and certainly better choice for a single, than this. Wow. I almost want to say it's meant as a joke? This sounds like a b-side. Bonus song on the Japanese release.

I haven't even read the comments in this thread...do people really like this song?

I love this song.

Just heard it. What a great song this is!!! It's great this is the first single. Although I like Blackout this one is better, especially as a single..

This song, together with the Blackout, have more energy and lifeness than the entire NOLTH.
I like post 2010 U2. They are well into their 50s, and they are still trying not to repeat themselves. As much they say they want a hit i think it keeps them out of their comfort zone. People just dont realise that if it wasnt for that we would have been given Joshua Tree version 10 by now.
They deserve a lot of respect for that.

I don't want to say it's a bad song. U2 really doesn't make many "bad" songs. But to me, for a single, it has pretty much no hook, the production is a mess, and the whole presentation is completely uninteresting.

No one here can seriously tell me that this isn't the kind of thing that, on previous U2 records, wouldn't end up as a bonus track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom