You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Careful, I hear booze is super pricey in Iceland!

OMG yes. We drank beer (which was good) the whole time. Except for when we went to (the awesomely named) Pablo Discobar. There we literally had a $28 cocktail each, because ... well, I can't answer for that.

But I'm home now, where the weather is humid and happy hour rail drinks are $5.

I wish I understood what they were doing marketing wise.

Why did they release 2 songs a week apart -- one were it appears to just be a video, unless the screaming crowd is going to be on the song as well.

Why not just lead with the single whichever song they picked? Blackout seems to be more straight forward Vertigo on iPod commercial hit.

Do both blackout and Best Thing cut out at end? I think Little Things just sort of ends too, so yes I guess maybe all the songs flow together on the album?

Currently this song feels like the ending of How I Met Your Mother -- I love the creators, but the ending on the DVD was much better than the ending of the show they picked. They tried too hard to fit into something they had an idea for 7 years before show ended. Right now I prefer the DJ Mix to their mix... but I still love the song, so it's so damn weird.

The only time I experienced this with a band was during concerts where I thought they didn't do justice to the song we loved on the album.

White People problems are the best!

Kinda reminds me of how Axl Rose threw a bunch of options of the same song together into one disjointed piece, but his intentions were far more crazy/artistic than commercial.

I'm tired of overanalyzing their every move. Just give me an album and a tour and I'll be thrilled if I like it.

I was just thinking about another recently produced Jacknife Lee song, The Man by the Killers. It also has some abrupt changes in direction throughout. And it was critically acclaimed for the most part. Will be interesting to see the reviews for this one.

From Billboard:

In a time of tumult and daily, almost hourly angst, U2 have done the truly unexpected. The band known for powerful message songs released a throwback, classic love song called "You're the Best Thing About Me." The track, which dropped on Wednesday morning (Sept. 6) is the first single from the band's long-promised Songs of Experience album, the follow-up to 2014's Songs of Innocence.

From Stereogum:

It’s the sort of big, hammy love song that’s built expressly to reach the people way in the stadium upper decks where the band will be playing, and there’s just a hint of disco in its bassline and its use of strings.

Starting to sound like Holy Joe meets Magnificent

Starting to sound something that could have been on POP :ohmy:

From Uproxx: They liked it too.

Just a week after giving the world a quick taste of their upcoming album in the form of the vintage rocker “The Blackout,” today, Irish rock supergroup U2 has decided officially unveil the first single from Songs Of Experience, which is set to drop later this year on December 1. Titled, “You’re The Best Thing About Me,” U2’s latest musical offering is a bundle of contradictions. The music itself is bubbly, effervescent; filled with big hooks and soaring vocals by lead singer Bono. However, the lyrics themselves are actually quite dark.

At its heart, “You’re The Best Thing About Me” is a song about acknowledging the goodness in your partner, the value they add to your life and then choosing to abandon them anyway. “I been crying out, ‘How bad can a good time be?’ Bono ponders aloud. “Shooting off my mouth, that’s another great thing about me / I have everything but I feel like nothing at all / There’s no risky thing for a man who’s determined to fall.”

Combined with “The Blackout,” their appearance on Kendrick Lamar’s album DAMN, and their ongoing Joshua Tree tour that’s garnered rave reviews in nearly every city it’s visited, it really seems that U2 are primed to rebound from the public relations debacle that was their last album Songs Of Innocence, that was uploaded onto everyone’s iPhones a couple of years back and gave the group one of their first major public backlashes in quite some time.

One of the more head scratching critiques I read this morning: "U2 have turned into a hipster band. The transition began with the horrendous Ordinary Love and went down hill from there."

From NME:

A guitar-heavy, open-road anthem, ‘You’re The Best Thing About Me’ comes with all the stadium-ready anthemics and hallmarks of latter day U2.

Wow. I love this song. Didn't expect to really dig it, after the Kygo leaks. But I love this.

Well done lads

I didn't listen to any of the remixes or leaked clips or whatever... Just heard the single. 'Twas alright. Sweet little song. My fav bit was the solo, that felt fresh. Chorus kind of sounds like something that would play in an ad for a gym or a granola bar. And the cadence still reminds me of Ordinary Love (I know people were saying EBTTRT before, but I stand by Ordinary Love):

Ordinary Love... Still their biggest hit since Vertigo, from what I understand. Too bad they didn't launch an album off it.

Where can I hear the Sci Fi mix of The Best Thing?

Really catchy tune, and in a world full of hate right now this one shines a beaming light upon it. 7/10 nothing incredible but a nice first single

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom