You're Most Memorable U2 Moment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2JudyM

Babyface
What is YOUR most U2 memorable moment?
I had always heard how "down to earth they were." So for me, meeting them, and seeing first hand that this is SO true was a lot of fun...the pics, autographs, etc.....But also, the first time I saw them walk out on stage in concert. The song they opened with STILL gives me chills as I'm reminded of that moment...and Bono's 2001 "speech" about AIDS in Africa and how "They were going to be making a lot of noise about IT".....and they have! What he had to say about the AIDS crisis in Africa was very powerful, a powerful speech that only Bono could say and have "stick" with you....(And I just know there's more.......)

Well, it was the first time I had watched Rattle and Hum. It was the first time I had ever listened to U2's music. After that, I was just addicted. :heart:

Also, when I was sick one day, I decided to see if my dad had any other U2 songs in our cabinet. So I found Achtung Baby. I just sat at the counter and layed on the couch all day, trying to memorize the lyrics, because I was so mesmorized with their music.

It's an obsession I'll never let go of. :love: :heart:

A combination of seeing them multiple times on the Vertigo tour. A few AMAZING experiences combined with only one "meh" experience = a lifetime of awesome memories.

(and getting a few moments of face time with Bono without a huge crowd around previous October ... that factors in there, too. :wink: )

my first concert Monday November 14th 2005, the first time i heard Wake Up, having the concert i wanted and the songs i wanted to hear...just me and my best friends...it was perfect.

My first concert. Nov. 22, 2005 at Madison Square Garden, NYC. I loved this band since 1987 when I was 14, so it took me a long time to finally see them. I stood in line in the rain and cold for more than 8 hours. There were maybe two or three people in front of me when they closed the window. We waited and waited to see if they would open the window if they had tickets available (people who never claimed advanced tickets). They finally opened the window. I got a ticket. Not only did I get a ticket, but I got a floor ticket. I was about 15 feet from the elipse. It was amazing. I will never forget my first U2 concert.
It was the same concert that Sarah (circa1992) danced with Bono.

joerags said:
My first concert. Nov. 22, 2005 at Madison Square Garden, NYC. I loved this band since 1987 when I was 14, so it took me a long time to finally see them. I stood in line in the rain and cold for more than 8 hours. There were maybe two or three people in front of me when they closed the window. We waited and waited to see if they would open the window if they had tickets available (people who never claimed advanced tickets). They finally opened the window. I got a ticket. Not only did I get a ticket, but I got a floor ticket. I was about 15 feet from the elipse. It was amazing. I will never forget my first U2 concert.

Hey great show! I was there too!

Being less than 10 feet from Bono at a show when he started singing "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses", my favorite song. Probably not as exciting as other moments people have, like those who have met them, but it was pretty awesome for me.

Bonochick said:
Being less than 10 feet from Bono at a show when he started singing "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses", my favorite song. Probably not as exciting as other moments people have, like those who have met them, but it was pretty awesome for me.

Pretty much same here. After about 16 years of being a fan I was finally that close to the band for the Elevation tour inside of the heart. I will never forget it!

in all honesty i have to say, when i went to the concert, it wasn't just about the band, the reality is that we'd been going through really tough times before, we'd just been hit by two hurricanes, we were recovering from alot, i had lost a good friend that summer, and things just didn't seem well. But it was that concert, the songs and the moments of being with four best friends who I cared about, arms around each other singing "still havn't found" was a magical moment for me. I've never really teared up listening to that song but it hits me remembering that moment. It was getting my heart racing with the opening of The Fly, which was the song I wanted to hear most, and the feeling that they were playing for us. So in the middle of all this trouble, everything that seemed wrong in my world, it was 3+ hours of complete escape, hope, and I left that arena with my renewed spirit. I don't thank U2 for bringing me closer to them, I thank them for bringing me closer to everyone around me.

24 and 25 November 2006: One Tree Hill, within sight of the real One Tree Hill, Auckland.

First and second time live in nearly 17 years. Fucking incredible.

These are the tour related ones...

Scanning into the ellipse on Vertigo tour & being on the front rail in front of Adam on 11/2/05 with Maddy & Amy :heart:

Going to Hawaii to see the final show. Meeting many interferencers, hanging out, being pretty close to the b-stage and Maddy getting pulled up for Sunday Bloody Sunday 12/9/06 :love:

Seeing them at the Sports Arena on the 'War' tour :up:

ZooTV at Dodger Stadium on 10/31/92

Popmart opening night, although it wasn't their best show (weren't ready yet) 1997

Elevation Tour 2001 - seeing them about 5 times that tour. Getting GA tix and not scanning, but still on the floor & being the closest I had ever been to the band at a show :drool: And seeing them after 9/11 - very moving!

Hearing Edge start playing COBL, then hearing the gigantic cheer when Bono stepped out onto the B-stage right in front of us... Then an unplanned playing of Bad after Kite to finish the show.

Hey Joerags, I was at the same concert! Good for you for getting so close for your first show!

I have two memorable moments:

1) Rushing out of work to get to the Brooklyn Bridge to see them perform, only to get shut out for several songs by the unkind security guards. But their manager let us in for the final song, and that was the first time I saw U2 play live.

2) At my first full concert, Oct. 11th 2005 at MSG, seeing Bono walk up to the ramp. The excitement and thrill I felt was electrifying.

Meeting the band in London September 20th - 23rd, 2006.
Then meeting Bono and having my pic with him in Dublin on September 20th, 2007.

Bono writing an personalized autograph for Babydoll.

:bono: :rockon:

Last edited:
MsMofoGone said:
Hearing 'New Year's Day' for the first time on the radio ... that song totally does it for me. :up:

That was all it took for me to become a fan. :D

:love: It's like you were in my head. :D :up:

I'll have to cheat and list two:

1. Hearing U2 for the first time (With or Without You on the rado on 1987) and getting a chill down my spine.

2. Finally going to my first U2 concert in September 2005 in Minneapolis after 18 years of fandom and getting in the first row outside the ellipse. Bono was standing right in front of me when he hit the money "siiiiing" note in Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.

I couldnt just pick one so I'd have to say all of these:::

-My first U2 show- 10.17.05
-Going to Hawaii 12.9.06 and being five feet away from Edge :love: and then having him wink and smile @ me
-Meeting Bono in philly and being called adorable :cute:

joerags said:

I can relate to how much time and effort a true fan will spend to obtain a ticket. So glad you got one. I think that every True U2 fan remembers their first U2 concert.....it's been 20 years since my first show, and I remember just about the whole thing!

europop2005 said:
in all honesty i have to say, when i went to the concert, it wasn't just about the band, the reality is that we'd been going through really tough times before, we'd just been hit by two hurricanes, we were recovering from alot, i had lost a good friend that summer, and things just didn't seem well. But it was that concert, the songs and the moments of being with four best friends who I cared about, arms around each other singing "still havn't found" was a magical moment for me. I've never really teared up listening to that song but it hits me remembering that moment. It was getting my heart racing with the opening of The Fly, which was the song I wanted to hear most, and the feeling that they were playing for us. So in the middle of all this trouble, everything that seemed wrong in my world, it was 3+ hours of complete escape, hope, and I left that arena with my renewed spirit. I don't thank U2 for bringing me closer to them, I thank them for bringing me closer to everyone around me.

I know and understand "exactly" what you're saying here.....They're music has gotten me through some rough times as well. And, sometimes, I watch the bootleg concerts I have on tape. They're shows CAN have an impact so powerful...and I think always only in a positive way. "You're" story is powerful as well. I'm glad that after going through such hard times, your spirit was able to be renewed. Hope all is going for you well now too. PS: I cried during Love is Blindness at the Zoo Tv Show. Not sure if it was because I knew the show was over or because of the impact of the lyrics. It was probably a little of both.

Last edited:
Being right outside of the Ellipse 4 the Tampa Vertigo show... after waiting outside all day, and passing out flyers 4 the African Well Fund w/my ex-wife, I was beat... but when the lights went down and the city started descending during COBL, and Bono came out right in front of us, hands xtended 2 the Heavens... it was all worth it.

My ex and I were going through a lot at the time, and broke up shortly thereafter, so it's a bittersweet memory, and our last true happy moment 2gether.... but the images, sounds and emotions of that night will stay w/ me 4ever and a day.

Nov 22, Madison Square Garden

my review from that night
http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139010&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Last night was great! Some how, some way, my wife, Jill and I got right at the tip of the walkway (right by Larry’s Love & Peace drum)

First off, I have to say, Patti Smith blew me away. She was amazing and better than what I thought she would be. It was like watching a dangerous, caged animal with a beauty about it, prowl the stage and sing these amazing songs. And what was great was the audience slowly coming around to her and they realizing that in fact, Patti Smith and NOT 10,000 Maniacs wrote ‘because The Night’. Fantastic. Good spitter too.

Lights come up and we’re waiting…

Before the show, one of the security guards held up the setlist but we couldn’t see it, so one of the guys next to us zoomed in with his camera took a pic and we got a pre-show look at what was coming. Not too many surprises (other than Miracle Drug gone and Original in – but I’ve read that’s what has been happening) But, if I’m not mistaken, First Time and Bad were in there (Bad was supposed to finish)

So my wife, my 8 months pregnant wife, is up against the railing, I’m right behind her, and the show starts. Bono comes out, the confetti falls, and we’re off. Great start, not too many people pushing and shoving (by this time we had made friends with the people around us and they were all protective of her which is way beyond cool)

Highlights of the show – Bono looking at Jill during one of the verses for Stuck In A Moment. Me yelling at the girls next to me for smoking “I respect your right to smoke and all but A. It’s illegal to smoke in here and B. This woman is pregnant – so put it out!”

Original sounded fantastic.
May be one of the best versions of Until the end of the world I’ve ever seen/ heard.
Seeing Bono’s face when he hits those notes in Sometimes You Can’t…right up close – and knowing how much that song means to Jill in regards to her mom who passed away...it goes to show how music can be cathartic and healing.
Instant Karma rocked. Larry’s face during Instant Karma was priceless – he was a kid again playing with one of his idols. And the look he shared with Adam during the ‘drum solo’ part of the song was hysterical. Kind of said ‘Wow…that was...not good.” And then he laughed.

But THE highlight for me (and I’m sorry for the rambling here) – but the number one thing was when Jill took my hand during “I Still Haven’t Found” and put it on her belly and my baby was kicking along to the song… I’m a big ol wussy cos I teared up (I’m even tearing up a little writing this right now) but it was amazing that my baby was enjoying the concert as well…

One of the best U2 experiences I’ve ever had.

OK –I have to get back to work and do all the stuff I didn’t do yesterday since I was “out sick”

Back
Top Bottom