your very First U2 Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonny

The Fly
it's interesting to know, what song make you U2 fan... all because of what that started...
mine was 'elevetion':wink:
*sorry if that thread was before*

Yeah, this thread has been up before...but what the fuck?

"Bad" and "Discotheque," in the strangest tandem of them all, worked their combined magic to lure me in. They still haven't let me go...

It was either New Year's Day or Sunday Bloody Sunday. Don't remember which now.

it was actually a a concert review of u2 [in New York Rocker mag} during the ??Battle of Britain Tour in mid-something 1980 that drew my atention...to U2.

"....ambitionious band, connects with audience, anthemic songs.." THEN I heard IWF/OOC, and I was reallly impressed !!

THEN an interview with them in the same mag done the next day {after that concert} but not printed up till May 81, that they further expanded on their performance & song/music philosphies/ themes as a band etc really, REALLY impressed me!!!

I kept following/buying the records [yeah, original vinyl] and hearing & seeing ever increasinng good/great stuff. Certainly JT was their full 'breakout' record {but thinking back...WAR also come close}.

So I've been there most of the time in these past 24 1/2 years{a live glimpse of them in soundcheck/rehearsal in '83, then seeing their full shows from '84 onward}

OK this was a long answer....:wink:- but my introduction to them was 'complex' with 'layers' of info adding into their attraction as a recording/performing band for me!

I'd already been a serious-super fan of serveral other bands previous to U2 that become as Super famous as U2 would eventually...so u2 had the "tough competition" of my previous R&R recorded and Live! experiences to measure up to.

Last edited:
In 1989 when I was around 12 years old my aunt left her Rattle and Hum cassette at our house and the version of Pride off that album got me into U2. Though I did kind of forget about the band until The Fly premiered on MTV one night in the fall of 1991. I remember seeing the premiere and saying to myself "oh, wow, it's that band!"

Wow, exactly the same as WinniethePoo, saw the Hold Me, Thrill Me video, went out and bought the Joshua Tree, rented Zoo TV video, the rest is history!!

Aardvark747 said:
Let go......Discotheque:dance:

Me, too! :D Although, to be fair, I had heard a few of the staple U2 songs on the radio beforehand. It's just that Discotheque forced me to investigate. ;)

More or less all of Rattle and Hum; my dad loves the live version of ISHFWILF and had the cassette (early 1990s) on heavy rotation in the car, needless to say I became addicted:)

acctually, that all started for me all because my boyfriend's father, who was great U2 fan, and first album I heard was POP (and especially Discoteque:rockon: ), but video on 'elevation' made me down for the count... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom