Your U2 Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful Day was my first song too. I remember exactly where I was and who I was with. The sad thing is that I heard the song about a month after U2 had come to play where I live. I wish I had known that then. Especially since 2001 was the last time they had come to play n 1987! I'll never see them in Lexington, I swear!

But Beautiful Day is just amazing. Sometimes I'll hear it when I'm walking through the airport and will just have to stop under a speaker to listen to it.

Hearing it live was amazing as well. I was just too excited about the entire experience and so caught up in the moment that I can't remember anything about that night!

I have a few.

My first born, girl, was 2 1/2 months premature. August 31st, 2000. The significance of this date? Beautiful Day officially airs on worldwide radio. I have been meaning to get a promo copy (mind you, I'm sure the regular cd single is fine too) framed for her room. No question, that was a beautiful day when we all got "out of the woods" so to speak.
Another fluke of sorts would happen 2 years later. My second born, named specifically with a U2 connection, would "pop" :wink: out on another significant U2 date. August 28th, 2002. Electrical Storm officially airs on worldwide radio this date. So, I need a framed promo cd for his room as well. :)
As for me, well family and friends know that Bad is the song and that U2 are the band. I have been listening to this song and many live versions of this song ever since early Winter '84. I can say it is the one u2 song in my music library that has had a play at least once in every single month ever since I first heard it. I don't know if that is something to be proud of or if I'm just bonkers. U2 + Bad = my ears on drugs.

By the way, she is my beautiful day and he is a bit of an electrical storm. :wink:

Last edited:
Great thread, dsmith! :up:

For me, my first "song" was probably Beautiful Day, though I never adored it until I got the album, which I bought after Hutdab. So my real "song" is probably City of BLinding Lights, which I was in love with for a very long time. It inspired my moniker, and was my avatar for a very long time (I miss it too).

Kite is the "song" though. After hearing the news of my grandfather's death, I bawled my eyes out for hours, and I put this on and played it on repeat as I sat, head in my knees, by the stereo. Hearing it live was one of my life's dreams, and I feel incredibly lucky to have heard it, especially such an amazing performance.

Stuck has also helped me out of many a troubles.

All That You Can't Leave Behind is probably my "album", and even though I prefer JT and AB, Attyclub holds a special place in this heart.

New Year's Day is special because it was my intro to U2 but ISHFWILF is what I have the most personal attachment to. It's the one song - if ever given the chance - that I would choose to sing with the guys.

Kite is also special to me - I had a similar reaction to COBL's after the death of my dad. It was very cathartic and helped me immensely because I did a lot of my grieving in private, away from the rest of my family. I remember sitting in my car with Kite playing, just blubbering uncontrollably, really making a mess of myself - I'm not a pretty crier :) - but feeling such a release when it was done and being so thankful for my 'support group'.

I think that's why we old timers :D (and some newer fans, too) are so faithful: we've had those moments where we were at our very rawest and U2 was there with just the right emotion or words to soothe us. It's a very intimate thing - I feel bad for those folks who'll never have that or, at the very least, understand it. :sad:

Last edited:
I Will Follow - The one that started it all. Never forget where I was when I heard it.

New Years Day - For some reason I like this song when I'm down and everytime I hear it, it brings me back to my old room in my parents house, I always felt secure in my room.

ATYCLB - I attach it to the birth of my younger son, I was going through a little depression after having him along with problems with parents and this album summed it up quite a few feelings and got me through. Especially Walk on and Stuck in a Moment.

Without the Joshua Tree I would never had made it through FIT back in the day. When I am feeling really down or upset this album seems to soothe me. Its like a drug.

SYCMIOYO-When I first heard this song, I thought it was written for my mother and I. Then I was almost glad, because someone else described the same type of relationship.

Jeannieco said:
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

I have loved it since I first heard it. I knew this was not an ordinary song or band after listening it and the entire JT album.
The music moved my heart...it's that mix of the mysterious and spiritual that still speaks to me to this day...
It's timeless.

In recent years Walk On inspires me ALOT! It fits so many scenerios.

I could go on and on and on....

:ohmy: That's just what I was about to post when I read your post!

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For was the first U2 song I fell in love with, and really what made me fall in love with the band. I got the cd thinking I was in for some good rock music, but I got a deeply spiritual and beautiful emotional experience. Every time I hear it I'm taken back to that moment when I first heard it. Their music means so much to me, so this song definitely has a great memory attached to it.

Since then so many of their songs have inspired and moved me, it would take hours...and would probably just look like the entire U2 catalog. :)

BluRmGrl said:
I think that's why we old timers :D (and some newer fans, too) are so faithful: we've had those moments where we were at our very rawest and U2 was there with just the right emotion or words to soothe us. It's a very intimate thing - I feel bad for those folks who'll never have that or, at the very least, understand it. :sad:

:up: That's exactly why I started this thread.

With or Without You - It was the very first U2 song I ever heard. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard it on the radio for the first time, even though it was almost 21 years ago. To this day it is still my favorite song of all time by anyone.

Acrobat - Achtung Baby came out at the time I was going through a really tough time. I pretty much hated the whole world back then. The entire album, but the song Acrobat in particular, helped get me through it. I think the darkness of it reflected what was going on in my own life, and I felt like Bono was talking directly to me.

Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me. The first U2 song I heard, still in my top ten.

Back
Top Bottom