Your top 5 best tunes (melodies)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
I don't mean 'tunes' as in 'song', but the actual instrumental part, the melody, not counting the words. What do you think are the 5 best, or prettiest, tunes they've ever written?

Mine are weird, so don't be afraid of whatever you choose!

1. Red Hill Mining Town- I love the way this tune reaches and covers so much range, yet stays good the whole time

2. Stay- Beautiful!

3. In God's Country- same as #1

4. Staring at the Sun- beautiful tune, one of the best they've ever written. If it had different lyrics that didn't mention going blind and bugs in your ear, I'd love it a lot more!

5. The Unforgettable Fire- spacey, trippy, passionate, dreamy. It takes you there and back again.

:eyebrow: Never thought that way

In God's Country, One, Stay, Walk On, Kite, The Playboy Mansion, If God Will send His angels, Babyface, Ultraviolet

from the melodic point of view i must recognize that the u2 from the 2000's are probably the best. therefore the songs that come to my mind that deserve to be mentioned here are all from this era. they are:

in a little while
electrical storm
sometimes you can't make it on your own
the ground beneath her feet
stuck in a moment you can't get out of

Can't think of Top 5 right now, but I have to mention Love is Blindness. It is extremely emotional and devastating even without the lyrics.

Stuck in a moment
In a little while
Wild honey
Original of the species
With or without you

edit also

Running to stand still
Angel of Harlem
All I want is you
One
So Cruel

Last edited:
Strictly talking about melodies

Yes, totally, best melodies are in the post 2000 albums:

- Beautiful Day
- Stuck in a moment
- In a little while
- Sometimes you cant' make it on your own
- City of Blinding lights
- Original of the Species.

From the pre-2000 era:

- Red Hill Mining Town
- I still haven't found what I'm looking for
- Pride
- Angel of Harlem
- Sweetest thing
- Trying to throw your arms around the world
- Staring at the sun

:wave: U2Kitten :hug:

Tomorrow
Exit - Love how that builds up
Love is blindness
All I Want is You
October
Love, Peace or Else wanted to mention that one too.

I guess melody wise that would be my choice allthough of course, this could change at any given time or day.

Msmofogone and youtwohearts I suspect that you guys are missing the point completely...

When we are talkin about melodies, we are talking about sequences of musical notes that carry the song, usually it's equal to the vocal melody, in popular music.

Therefore, arrengements, chords, hooks, intros, outros, buildings , bridges in songs , does not counts at all.

Just melody, usually directly proportional with the catchiness level of the song.

Mofo, great melody ?
Tomorrow ?
Exit ?

No, these songs, for example , not have a great melody, besides that, are great songs, with different strenghts, tension and dynamics in the case of Exit, or a great fast paced semi industrial arrangement in the case of Mofo.

By the way , Msmofogone, I agree with The Ground beneath her feet , posses a great melody, absolutely.

Well you are entitled to your opinion. I like the dark side of tomorrow the eerie sense of the melody and how it builds up. How a songs builds and gets more dramatic, to me, is the melody. When I am humming a song in my head it is the melody I am humming not the words. Some tunes just stick with people differently. I love the the muscial part of Exit. The words are just fillers it is the melody and music that make the song.

And even if I am mistaken what U2Kitten meant, I still stand by my choices.

Excellent point, youtwohearts !! :bow:
Although, my songs are somewhat on the darker mysterious side. I truly love the overall music in these songs as well. The melody builds and becomes even more dramatic with sadder songs or even love songs too ... definite plus here !! :up:
So, DarkAcrobat ... I don't believe we are missing the point here actually, we just have a different perspective to the melodies in the songs that were mentioned !! :applaud:

Hmm, these aren't in order, but they're ones that come to mind as of right now.

Indian Summer Sky. (Though, quite a few songs off this album's songs could fall into pretty melodies category)
With or Without You.
Grace *don't hit me!*
A Man & A woman
All I want is You

Last edited:
Over and above everything else, One Tree Hill. That one completely sucks me in.

Also, City Of Blinding Lights, Crumbs From Your Table, Gloria, and A Sort Of Homecoming.

- All I Want Is You
- City of Blinding Lights
- A Sort of Homecoming
- Electrical Storm
- The Ground Beneath Her Feet
- In God's Country
- Walk On

Back
Top Bottom