Your Thoughts on the U2 iPod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The U2 iPod:

• I think it's great! I am buying one ASAP!!

Votes: 69 20.7%
  • I think it's great! I'm saving my pennies!!

Votes: 56 16.8%
  • It looks interesting but I'm not sure if I'll buy one.

Votes: 71 21.3%
  • I already have an iPod but I'm excited about downloading the boxed set.

Votes: 11 3.3%
  • I see no point in paying again for songs I already own.

Votes: 64 19.2%
  • I think this shows that U2 is greedy and/or selling out and want no part of it.

Votes: 28 8.4%
  • I don't really care.

Votes: 34 10.2%

• Total voters

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
So now that the announcement has been made, people are starting to wonder what U2 fans think of this U2 iPod. What do you think of it? Answer the poll and share your comments here.

Just to let you know, these results aren't planned to be used for any Interference.com articles, but members of our staff have been approached by media outlets to provide the fan's perspective on this and we'd really like to get an accurate feel for what the U2 fan community thinks of all this

Thank you,
Ms. Devlin Smith
Contributing Editor
Interference.com

I think its great. I want to get one. I don't plan on getting the digital box set though.

Last edited:
dsmith2904 said:

I figured that since they weren't available until November, ASAP was close enough.

I just thought it would have been interesting to see how many people actually ordered it already.

I think it's great, but it's more than I want to spend right now. I'd rather save up so I could see multiple shows once the tour starts. But if I had the extra money, I'd most definitely get one. :)

It would be great if we could purchase the "unreleased" tracks seperately on itunes, but I'm not sure that will become an option :(

I really want one... have been hinting to Santa. I really think it's not a bad deal. If there is a fan of music out there that has been thinking about getting one, this may push them to get it. I think everything should have a splash of U2 on it.

I'd love to get one, but I probably won't because:

1. Very expensive
2. I'm planning on getting a Mac in the next year or so, therefore to buy a Windows iPod (which I would need now) would be stupid

I'm disappointed that it doesn't come preloaded with songs.

I don't want to pay for a ton of songs I already own. It will really suck if U2 releases some great rarities and unreleased stuff in this format only, with no chance for fans to purchase them seperately through iTunes or in a CD boxed set someday. Yes, I realize I will probably have to pay for a number of tunes I already own if I buy the hypothetical box set, but it probably won't be nearly this many - and besides, it will all be on CD and feel more permanent than a bunch of digital files.

Last edited:
madonna's child said:

2. I'm planning on getting a Mac in the next year or so, therefore to buy a Windows iPod (which I would need now) would be stupid

As far as I know you can convert (re-format) PC iPods to Mac iPods with the iPod software provided for both platforms. After all - it's just a harddisk, really.

ordered one already - been wanting to buy one for ages and now that i can get a U2 one... BRILLIANT
i, like some others, wont be buying the "digital box" thingymabobby though, its a hell of a lot of money for music i already own and in terms of melon and hasta la vista baby or the other "rare" stuff, i could probably buy them off ebay if i really REALLY wanted for a lot less than $150!
same goes for the "unreleased" songs mentioned - if they're available in the box which some people are bound to buy, then they'll pop up on the internet soon enough. Once again a far cheaper option than buying the box full of stuff i already have just to get 25 songs.
i dunno, i think it would be ac ool thing to have, but its a bit harsh price wise when you're already paying that amount of money for the equipment and honestly, those who are fans enough to buy a U2 iPod, probably have most of that music already.
pre-loaded would have been a better idea i think althoughi woudln't pay any more than i already have for it, pre-loaded or not

Bought the ipod - had been wanting to upgrade to a 4th generation anyway so this was the perfect combo for me - plus the black ipod is almost a mythical creature in mac nerd groups
I will be getting the digital box set as well since most of my u2 cds are old and scratched - plus with a 50 dollar off - why not?

love steve jobs - such a cool nerd/geek - find him attractive

I'll be all over this like a fly on shit... when ever apple gets around to opening an itunes for Canadians. Why are they taking so long!?!:rant:

Doesnt matter

madonna's child said:
I'd love to get one, but I probably won't because:

1. Very expensive

I'm disappointed that it doesn't come preloaded with songs.

The iPod is no longer platform-specific. A year or so ago they came as a Mac version or a PC-version. Then they made just one version, but Windows users had to buy a separate USB adapter unless they had Firewire. This year they started including both a Firewire and USB 2 adapter.

So any iPod you buy today will work with any Mac or Windoze computer in the future.

Last edited:
you made me go search for the link. :mad:

anyway, i think it sounds interesting. i bought a 2nd gen one a couple years ago. it's $349? that's not too bad...it definitely looks cool :hmm:

Roland of Gilead said:
I'll be all over this like a fly on shit... when ever apple gets around to opening an itunes for Canadians. Why are they taking so long!?!:rant:

From the news today:

Apple will launch the iTunes Music Store in Canada in November.

Quick question about the earphones for the ipod.

Can you use any earphones or do you have to use the "in the ear" ones that come with it? I wear hearing aids and like to use cushy ear phones over my hearing aids. I can use the other ones. It just means that I might have to crank it.

i was very tempted to buy one, mainly because it came with all of U2's albums and seeing as i dont have their early ones i was thinking that was a good investment

but now im not so sure, if its 400 songs how fucking long would that take on dialup?

I hope it gets good sales also but as much as I want one I probably won't buy it since I have a thrid generation ipod that I don't use all that much. I'll probably download some of "The Complete U2" though if you can download individual songs on to make up for the few I may have missing or are one vinyl as b-sides. As much as I want an U2 ipod I'd rather spend my money on concert tickets to see them again for a fourth time.

Now they are saying it's preloaded...

U2 iPod To Boast 400 Pre-Loaded Tracks

As expected, Apple has teamed with U2 to create a customized iPod pre-loaded with every one of the Irish rock act's studio albums. In all, the portable music player will contain more than 400 U2 tracks, including 25 rarities previously only available to subscribers to U2's official magazine, Propaganda. The device comes in black with a red click wheel and is engraved with band members' signatures.

In addition, Apple's iTunes Music Store will in late November make available "The Complete U2," allowing fans to download the tracks pre-loaded onto the customized iPod in one click. The bundle will sell for $149; the 20GB U2 iPod, which can hold 5,000 songs, will be available in mid-November for $349.

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000685050

Back
Top Bottom