Your Thoughts on the U2 iPod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The U2 iPod:

• I think it's great! I am buying one ASAP!!

Votes: 69 20.7%
  • I think it's great! I'm saving my pennies!!

Votes: 56 16.8%
  • It looks interesting but I'm not sure if I'll buy one.

Votes: 71 21.3%
  • I already have an iPod but I'm excited about downloading the boxed set.

Votes: 11 3.3%
  • I see no point in paying again for songs I already own.

Votes: 64 19.2%
  • I think this shows that U2 is greedy and/or selling out and want no part of it.

Votes: 28 8.4%
  • I don't really care.

Votes: 34 10.2%

• Total voters
Oh by the way.. i'm not sure if it was here but someone posted a picture of the exlusive poster you get with the IPod with text on it written by Bono. But on the apple site they say that you get this one..

indexposterse10262004.jpg

Wich one is it now? :huh:

Boontje said:
Oh by the way.. i'm not sure if it was here but someone posted a picture of the exlusive poster you get with the IPod with text on it written by Bono. But on the apple site they say that you get this one..

indexposterse10262004.jpg

Wich one is it now? :huh:

I think the poem is on the back side

im getting the iPod because i wanted one originally, the cool case without autographs on the side...cool

...$150 for songs I can put on it in an hour...I'm not that stupid

I dont know. Contrary to my name here I'm not all that techy. I guess I'm allright with my cd's and walkman. If I get an ipod I would probably get this one but I wouldn't buy the collection. I'm still undecided about getting one though. I'm fine without one now but it would be nice to have something small hold a ton of songs. That would be cool!

Yeah, I'm not getting the digital box set, either. But let's be honest - we diehard U2 fans probably aren't the target audience for that sale, since we've already got everything they've released ... and then some! :wink:

Am in the market for buying an Ipod, I think however the autographs on the back are really tacky.

Don't particualaly like the colour either, its similar to the colour sceme of the album colour apparently, but so what.

Nothing really justifys it as especially "U2" if you get me.

corianderstem said:
Yeah, I'm not getting the digital box set, either. But let's be honest - we diehard U2 fans probably aren't the target audience for that sale, since we've already got everything they've released ... and then some! :wink:

hopefull the songs will be released separate from the box set as .99 cents a piece - the 25 previously unreleased songs is what I'm excited about.
Still the box set is a great deal if you are looking for the entire u2 collection about .37 cents a song (math geek - sorry)

nurse chrissi said:

hopefull the songs will be released separate from the box set as .99 cents a piece - the 25 previously unreleased songs is what I'm excited about.
Still the box set is a great deal if you are looking for the entire u2 collection about .37 cents a song (math geek - sorry)

:up:
I agree with the 25 previously unreleased songs, nurse chrissi.

I will be getting the U2 iPod eventually and by that time I hope those tracks will be availabe at 99¢, so I can choose the one's I want. I have tracks on iTunes [both from the apple store and other's that I have downloaded to iTunes) now I will add (I hope) to the iPod when I get it.

I still feel I can get the majority of what I want on the iPod to make the music collection I want.

Otherwise I'll just keep the other tunes on the comp, or cd and listen to them as I do now.
I can't wait to be able to walk and exercise and go to the beach or sit out in the back yard and read, without having to lug around cd's and player, etc. :hyper:

Count me in. I'm buying... :dance: (Just as soon as I can)
(as long as I don't hear some negative reports about the iPod crashing and loosing all my music, or something):yikes:

Last edited:
I was considering buying it until I read on U2.com that it would not come pre-loaded with songs. I do not have the time or patience (dial-up connection!) to download all of the songs, nor do I have the extra money to spend on songs I already have on CDs.

(from U2.com)
It retails for $349 and comes with a $50 coupon redeemable against 'The U2 Digital Complete Works' of more than 400 U2 songs, which will go on sale in November at $150. (Note - the U2 iPod does not come with any pre-loaded songs).

So I'd be looking at about $449 to get the iPod and the songs....yeah that's $400 too much for me! :eek:

Last edited:
I don't really care.

There's so much going on my own life, not to mention the real world, I could care less if my favourite band wants to distribute their music this way. That's all I see it as, a new means of distributing music.

I-tunes, is not the only online music store that has U2 songs in their databases.

I've come across a few articles about this, bands make very little from CD's, it's touring, especially merchandise, that is the biggest money maker.

The U2 Ipod, to me, no different than a t-shirt with U2 on it. What's the difference? U2 do have a company that makes their own official shirts. Apple makes a device that plays music files, and have a way to sell the files.

Green Day were called sell-outs for being signed to a big label. Every band, at some point or another, is going to "sell out" in someone's opinion.

I have news for you, vinyls, are still made, my sister has a vinyl of Eminem's last album, even cassettes are still around, but you can make cassette versions off CD's, so there's no real market to make cassette's anymore. CD's aren't going anywhere, not everyone has an mp3 player, it's not like U2 are going to stop releasing physical copies of their recordings, they're just staying ahead of the game, as others have said. If they do stop making physical hard copies, then I'll be upset, but they're not foolish enough, nor their record company, to completely abandon CD's for mp3s.

I'm reminded of something Bill Flanagan wrote, about U2 in the early 90's, U2 managed to stay ahead of the pack, and be on the cutting edge of music, while their peers didn't.

It's all about the music, that's why I like U2, they haven't compromised their musical integrity. On most versions of HTDAAB, the last track is called "Yahweh." In a climate that can quite hostile towards such things, it takes guts to do that.

Bono could write songs about whatever he wants at this point, but look at what's on his mind, his late father, God, love...how do you dismantle an atomic bomb...with love.

I have no use for an I-pod at the moment, U2-themed or otherwise, I don't have the patience to wait to download songs, and I'd probably get burned out with the music I have. With CD's, I can pace listening to them, if I had access to all the songs I have on all my CD's, sheesh, I'd get burned out at some point, even if I did rotate.

Last edited:
I hope I don't come off as an elitist braggart...I'm just so excited cause my family chipped in & bought me a U2 iPod for my birthday this past weekend.
This is really my first ever U2 item, save for an odd concert T here or there.

I was already contemplating burning my U2 CD's (if I could find them all) into mp3's. & saved to get an iPod prior on my own...
But when U2's version came out in a a unique color scheme, I was ready to break my piggy bank for real.

Like the previous poster wrote, this is just another mean to an end: delivery of great U2 music.
& a possible way to introduce a new generation of fans their music.

We all can choose to add to our U2 collection whatever way to feel will make us happy.

So please don't flame (do flame for my lack of CD organization though LOL)

:wink:

I must say...I understand why u2 is joining ipod in this new commercial stuff.......
They're just looking into the future and realizing that mp3's ARE the future brougth them to apple!!!.......it's very simple!!!...

I don't see it as a "let's make money deal"....I certainly believe that they are really interested in this stuff.......

BUT!!!!......is this a thing you wanna be doing as a rock band???

That's my question............

Bye the way,

I'm not buying the u2-ipod...............to expensive.....and not really u2......ish.........

But I like it nevertheless..........

u2wolf, you won't have to buy new copies of songs you already own on CD. You just have to have a program to convert your CDs to MP3 files, which can then be put onto the iPod.

Someone told me that you must use iTunes with the iPod, but I think it's a free download, and I've not heard anyone complaining about the program. Yet.

itunes is a free download - it can be used without an ipod to manage your music files - you can burn CDs from itunes music library, buy music from itms - which works on PC and mac

Mmeh... call me conservative but I'm staying away from all this iPod stuff until I absolutely have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. I like my walkman and my CDs with pretty booklets, and I don't download songs either.

corianderstem said:
Do you have to use iTunes with an iPod? Or can I keep my regular CD-to-MP3 program?

I'm not too sure on this one - when I started to use the itunes library I switched everything over to itunes - you can store cds on itunes as well and transfer them to the ipod.
I've tried some other libraries and I have to say that itunes is probably the easiest to use

i just ordered my u2 ipod....and as i was reviewing my order on the screen, a commercial for the new u2 album was on tv...it's gotta be a sign :hyper: :applaud:

corianderstem said:
Do you have to use iTunes with an iPod? Or can I keep my regular CD-to-MP3 program?

the only way to load mp3's into iPod is thru iTunes.

However, iTunes can easily change all of your ripped CD on your HardDrive into AAC or Mp3 format for the iPod!

I'm never going to stop buying (and listening to) CDs. I love having the whole package, and they look so pretty on my shelves. However, I love the idea of being able to have 5,000 songs with me for my daily commute. Or a long walk.

Whoot!

Overall - Boring - The design does nothing for me. The engraving looks nice on the back but that's the only thing.

Just my thought.

corianderstem said:
I'm never going to stop buying (and listening to) CDs. I love having the whole package, and they look so pretty on my shelves. However, I love the idea of being able to have 5,000 songs with me for my daily commute. Or a long walk.

Whoot!

this is exactly how i feel too. im still going to buy cds. and well right now i don't even have the right system requirements to download from itunes, i'll have to borrow a friend's computer to download the complete u2. but i hate having to choose which cd to bring along to listen to or having to search through all my cds for one song. i don't care that the u2 ipod only has 20MB....5000 songs is plenty :yes:

I want an iPod, but I won't be getting the U2 one. I love U2, but:

I prefer the white iPod.

I can upload all my own U2 content anyway.

I'm waiting for some other changes hopefully to come with the next generation iPod.

:shrug:

I was thinking of getting one in the 1st place and i think this just sold the deal. What could be cooler than taking your entire music collection with you on vacation in a 4x5 inch player.

Back
Top Bottom