Your Thoughts on the U2 iPod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The U2 iPod:

• I think it's great! I am buying one ASAP!!

Votes: 69 20.7%
  • I think it's great! I'm saving my pennies!!

Votes: 56 16.8%
  • It looks interesting but I'm not sure if I'll buy one.

Votes: 71 21.3%
  • I already have an iPod but I'm excited about downloading the boxed set.

Votes: 11 3.3%
  • I see no point in paying again for songs I already own.

Votes: 64 19.2%
  • I think this shows that U2 is greedy and/or selling out and want no part of it.

Votes: 28 8.4%
  • I don't really care.

Votes: 34 10.2%

• Total voters
I personally think it's really ugly.

I have an iPod (the classic white), and also I don't like the design of the Gen4 iPods.

I guess it's a nice push for those who had been waiting to get an iPod, but I'd rather have the classic one and upload my U2 stuff to it myself.

There's one thing I'm a little blown away by, and no one has mentioned it.

The digital box set has 400 songs.

400 songs.

By my count, U2's 11 albums, plus two Best-of sets (with bonus B-sides), plus two EPs, plus two fan-club discs totals up to about 224 songs.

What are the remaining 176?

I'll even throw in an average of five B-sides/remixes from each album (some have more, some have less) that are not covered by the B-side collections of the Best-Ofs.

That gives us a liberal estimate of 274.

I ask: What are the other 126 songs?

Because if it's 126 tracks that have never seen the light of day, I think I will pay $150 for them.

Someone let me know if I'm using fuzzy math.

I don't know if it's just me but I've read that the U2pod's been preloaded with songs... like in my edition of the Metro newspaper which says "They also introduced a special edition iPod holding all of U2's 400-plus recorded songs, costing $350." Also I saw the same offer in an ebay sale of the U2pod, where it says the songs are preloaded.

Sevikins said:
I don't know if it's just me but I've read that the U2pod's been preloaded with songs... like in my edition of the Metro newspaper which says "They also introduced a special edition iPod holding all of U2's 400-plus recorded songs, costing $350." Also I saw the same offer in an ebay sale of the U2pod, where it says the songs are preloaded.

There's an article on U2.com about the ipod. It specifically says it doesn't come loaded with any songs.

mellyinsf...

I just watched the CNBC interview and Steve Jobs didn't mention that the U2ipod came preloaded. It was the guy that interviewed them. He mentioned that it was preloaded with the new album in the intro of the interview

I bought it. I was in the market anyway and almost got one right before the rumors started flying. I think the red and black is actually quite cool

I really want one, I was excited when I thought it was going to be pre-loaded with all the albums plus HTDAAB but oh well, I love the design, Ive always liked black and red together :up:

The guy that did the interview on CNBC said it was preloaded with HTDAAB, if it wasn't why wouldn't steve jobs or Bono come out and say that was wrong?
When I purchased my Ipod from apple I asked the sales lady if it was preloaded and she said only with the new album.
It does not say anything about that on the website. They should definetly clear this up!

yes...they should definitely clear this up!

CNN, CNBC and others are claiming that is come preloaded but thats not the case..If it was Steve Jobs would of mentioned that in the press release announcement on tuesday. I don't know why Steve Jobs didn't dispute that in the interview, maybe he just didn't hear that. But this would be a big mistake on Steve Job's part to leave that information out in the announcement that was made to the media and apple employees. I highly doubt that this would happen. If the sales people via the phone at apple are saying that it is then there are going to be alot of pissed off people out there! Either they are misinformed or trying to get that sale...

Both the apple website, u2.com clearly state that it is not preloaded. What would be the point of having the new album on the Complete U2 box set that they have for sale and also the album is going to be available on itunes for the first month or less.

anitram said:
I personally think it's really ugly.

I have an iPod (the classic white), and also I don't like the design of the Gen4 iPods.

I guess it's a nice push for those who had been waiting to get an iPod, but I'd rather have the classic one and upload my U2 stuff to it myself.

from what i understand you still have room for 4,600 other songs even after loading the complete u2 (according to the page on the apple website).

i think the pastel colors of the classic ipods are ugly.

i'm definitely getting one. i've wanted an ipod for a while anyway.

and i'm going to order the complete u2 as well. even though i own quite a few of the songs already and all of the albums it beats having to search my cds and can listen to any u2 song whenever i want to without having to carry around all my cds :up:

ABEL said:

i think the pastel colors of the classic ipods are ugly.

They don't come in pastel colours. They only come in white.

You are either talking about the mini, or the poly skins, but the classic iPod is white and only white.

A blogger over at Airbag (airbagindustries.com) compares the U2 iPod to the A-Team van.

They also have a great mock-up for an Ashlee Simpson Special Edition iPod.

I wasn't impressed with this. I hate how they did the comercial. Vertigo will be associated with Ipods now and that sucks. I hate bands putting their music to products. Just don't like it.

I am so confused right now :huh: One person says it is pre-loaded with the new album and the other one says it is empty. :huh:

When I saw it I wanted to have it.. but now I'm not sure. I mean.. I am a fan for three years now but it isn't the same anymore :( Now with this new album the feeling is starting to get back but do I really want this IPod of U2?

I mean, it hasn't got U2 all over it. So it isn't that bad and at least I can say that I have something original. But on the other hand.. the white one looks something that fits me.. but then once again.. I haven't got all the albums and I am horrible with cd's so $50,- (or euro's I don't know) isn't that bad... and .. arg I just don't know :|

Sounds neat but I'm waiting to see if this whole online digital music thing goes anywhere before I spend my hard earned money on one of these things.

Join the club, I'm still indecisive... my bf raised the point to me that it's only 20 gbs compared to a regular iPod with 40... and with the U2pod, we're paying more for a machine that has a smaller drive compared to a regular one. Is it really worth the extra money just to have their autographs laser inscribed on the back, which when I'm looking at it again, it's sorta tacky... they can't even place them like around, they just bunch it all on the top. Maybe it's just me and my second thoughts but I doubt I'll get this one... perhaps later in life when I have more money I'll venture back into it.

Last edited:
i'm with hippy on this. i've been wanting one for a while anyway. sure the photo ipod looks cool but i don't see a reason for having that many photos just to look at on an ipod? i already have a digital camera for that.

i'm even getting the u2 ipod when i don't even have the system requirements on my computer :laugh: :reject: i'm hoping to borrow a friend's computer with high speed or dsl to download the complet u2. hopefully that's all i'll really need it for. and i only have sucky windows ME but i plan on upgrading to windows XP sometime in the future anyway.

hippy said:
Actually, the iPod comes in both 20GB and 40GB flavors :)

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=iPod

Oh yeah, and I bought mine the other afternoon. I was going to buy one anyway, and that extra $50 for the special edition is made up by the $50 coupon to purchase the box set.

I'm all about the digital music revolution! :up:

Oh yes, but I meant for the U2pod which only comes in 20gb. It sorta stinks. I wish at least it'd come in a middleman size, like 30 or so, just so it doesn't seem we're getting shortchanged. But that's just me.

hippy said:
Actually, the iPod comes in both 20GB and 40GB flavors :)

This is weird.. for the U2 Ipod I have to pay €379,-, for the normal €329.- and for the 40 GB €438,- while on the Apple website it looks cheaper :eyebrow: Or is it me? :huh:

By the way.. 10,000 songs? That is just to much :| So I would be worser off with a 40 GB cause I don't use so much.. you can also look at it that way..

Last edited:
I have an Ipod and I love it. I use Itunes and I love it. The number of CDs I usually buy has dropped 10 fold in the past 6 months. This is U2 staying ahead of the curve. While other artists and the RIAA bitch about mp3 and file sharing, U2 are actually doing something about it. Music is going into computers, and it's a trend that WILL NOT BE REVERSED. 3% digital sales this year. Over 5% next year, 10 years from now it'll out sell cds. Compaining about technology and those who embrace it isn't going to stop tomorrow from coming. This is brave shit U2 is doing. How is it selling out if no $ changed hands? How is it selling out when they actually sell their music CHEAPER than before? One press of a button and you got 400 U2 songs for $150. How is that bad? I spent years buying cds for my U2 collection. Now someone can get it ALL in a matter on seconds. Mark my words, in 2 or 3 years this will be the norm. Who needs record companies?

Last edited:
It's a knee-jerk reaction people have. The 80's alt rock ideal of purity is dead, but people continue to cling to these old ideals. Maybe if The Replacements and Husker Du got more promo, they'd still be around tody. Are the Beatles sell outs because of the lunch boxes, dolls, and movies they made? No, their music is brilliant. Are Pearl Jam sellouts because they're releasing a Greatest Hits record? No. Are REM sellouts because them release music exclusivly on Itunes? No.

I'm okay with 20GB instead of 40GB. 5,000 songs is a LOT of songs. I don't think I need something that will hold 10,000 songs, as I'm not going to automatically put every CD I buy on it. Just things I might want to hear when I hit "shuffle."

MrBrau1 said:
It's a knee-jerk reaction people have. The 80's alt rock ideal of purity is dead, but people continue to cling to these old ideals. Maybe if The Replacements and Husker Du got more promo, they'd still be around tody. Are the Beatles sell outs because of the lunch boxes, dolls, and movies they made? No, their music is brilliant. Are Pearl Jam sellouts because they're releasing a Greatest Hits record? No. Are REM sellouts because them release music exclusivly on Itunes? No.

I completely agree with you. I just think it's sad that people can turn on a band so quickly. I mean they are selling what they make, that's the bottom line. Like it or not, it's a job and they are there to make money. The only way they can sell out is if they change for someone else with money. And U2 hasn't. I don't get it.

Back
Top Bottom