Your Thoughts on the U2 iPod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The U2 iPod:

• I think it's great! I am buying one ASAP!!

Votes: 69 20.7%
  • I think it's great! I'm saving my pennies!!

Votes: 56 16.8%
  • It looks interesting but I'm not sure if I'll buy one.

Votes: 71 21.3%
  • I already have an iPod but I'm excited about downloading the boxed set.

Votes: 11 3.3%
  • I see no point in paying again for songs I already own.

Votes: 64 19.2%
  • I think this shows that U2 is greedy and/or selling out and want no part of it.

Votes: 28 8.4%
  • I don't really care.

Votes: 34 10.2%

• Total voters
maybe its too damn expensive and maybe that should be an option

I think U2 iPod is a great idea. It looks great and the price isn't very high. Thank God, that Steve Jobs invented Apple :)

The U2 ipod....is NOT PRELOADED with anything!!! I bought it yesterday from apple.com

The media outlets are posting articles with incorrect/rumored info. I had to email cnn.com coz their article claimed that the u2 i pod came preloaded with the new album.

If this was the case Steve Jobs would of mentioned that in the announcement in san jose....

<<<getting more perplexed..:eyebrow:

with the exception of the ipod mini's - this is the first non-white full sized ipod out there right now - this is a big deal in itself and is the reason that I am now upgrading - the fact that it is a u2 related ipod is just the icing on the cake.
I'm actually glad that the ipod is not preloaded directly from the company - it is a bit of a pain (but it can be done) to transfer songs from the ipod to the computer (very easy the other way around/from itunes) - this way you can burn CD's of the new music without downloading additional software -if you would actually need CDs with an ipod.

I think this is kind of silly because there's nothing particularly "U2" about this ipod other than the engravings on the back of it. Anyone - whetrher they own a u2 iPod, any other iPod, or even no iPod - can still buy and download all the same songs to their computers.

And trust me you will NOT have to buy songs you already own just to get the ones you don't own. They'll still all be available for 99 cents apiece; the box set price is just a bulk discount. So basically all you have to decide is if you're going to want more than $149 worth of individual tracks. My guess is that very few people in here will find that necessary.

whoa...wait a second? Are people saying the iPod comes with nothing because thet were in full belief they were going to be getting it pre-loaded with 'How to dismantle an Atomic Bomb'? When do these things start shipping??

nurse chrissi said:
Bought the ipod - had been wanting to upgrade to a 4th generation anyway so this was the perfect combo for me - plus the black ipod is almost a mythical creature in mac nerd groups
I will be getting the digital box set as well since most of my u2 cds are old and scratched - plus with a 50 dollar off - why not?

love steve jobs - such a cool nerd/geek - find him attractive

:up:

Same here :)

Wife was cool with this last night when I said I have to have this. I don't have a cd burner. I don't download songs from the net on my comp, except for these new u2 snippets. And I have never owned an mp3 player before. This ipod makes perfect sense for me to adapt to the changing times. I'm ready... I'm ready for the push! :yes:

I am so lucky that I have a wife that understands my u2 hobby. Time to send her off to the spa/getaway for a weekend without the kids (including me).

I have a question....Is this special edition U2 Ipod a limited thing or something? I mean are they only going to have a limited amount of them and once they sell out, that's it. Or is it going to be around to stay? Cause I might have to wait a month or two to buy it. I've been spending all my recent money on all the new U2 related magazines, books, and i'm sure i'll be dropping $40 for the HTDAAB limited box set and buy the Vertigo singles. Need to start saving up.....

This is a SPECIAL edition ipod. The word "LIMITED" has never surfaced in any of the press releases that I have read so far. I don't think apple would limit the amout of these. I do think they might stop making them after a certain time when the demand is met.

deltau922 said:
And trust me you will NOT have to buy songs you already own just to get the ones you don't own. They'll still all be available for 99 cents apiece; the box set price is just a bulk discount. So basically all you have to decide is if you're going to want more than $149 worth of individual tracks. My guess is that very few people in here will find that necessary.

If what you say turns out to be true, I take back all my previous criticisms of this whole digital box set/Ipod deal.

I was planning on buying it until I actually saw it. I personally think the black and red combo is hideous--it should have been black with a grey dial--I understand it is the color scheme of the new album cover (which is the worst cover U2 has ever done), but it, IMO, is not very attractive.

I refuse to buy an ipod because Apple does not support a standard. You can't play itunes songs on other devices and you can't play other stores' songs on an ipod. Though U2 will benefit from this partnership in the short term because ipod has such a large market share, I think ipod and itunes will lose market share to other companies that are more willing to open up the technology. In a couple of years we will be looking at ipod and itunes the same way we look at the Macintosh and Mac OS as a niche product. RealNetworks or someone else will be to the ipod and itunes what Microsoft was to the Macintosh in the 80's.

Sorry for the digression, but this is why I won't be buying an Ipod any time soon.

mkjc said:
I refuse to buy an ipod because Apple does not support a standard. You can't play itunes songs on other devices and you can't play other stores' songs on an ipod.

duh?? Apple is all about open standards these days. iPod plays mp3, wav, aiff, aac, mp4 (amongst others), all of which are platform independent open standards. Plus when you buy a song from the iTunes Music Store you actually own the file, unlike the other stores from which you only rent the songs and which are in a closed formaat i.e. windows media player (do go and read the download agreement from mediaplayer based stores, that's scare the hell out of you!) Go yell at Microsoft to open up the wmv format. iTunes files at least can be played on all my computers, Mac, Windows, Linux. WMV files with drm can only be played on Windows. Btw - did you know aac has just been voted a standard for music on mobile phones by everyone in the business except, yep, you guessed it, Microsoft.

Please, check the facts again before writing in here. All Apple has done is add fair-play drm to its files but they still can be played anywhere, any time on any platform. Apple may not be perfect, but what you are saying is total nonsense.

Zoomerang96; i agree, it sure is sad to see u2 (originally a punk
band) do something so mainstream.

macsterdam said:

duh?? Apple is all about open standards these days. iPod plays mp3, wav, aiff, aac, mp4 (amongst others), all of which are platform independent open standards. Plus when you buy a song from the iTunes Music Store you actually own the file, unlike the other stores from which you only rent the songs and which are in a closed formaat i.e. windows media player (do go and read the download agreement from mediaplayer based stores, that's scare the hell out of you!) Go yell at Microsoft to open up the wmv format. iTunes files at least can be played on all my computers, Mac, Windows, Linux. WMV files with drm can only be played on Windows. Btw - did you know aac has just been voted a standard for music on mobile phones by everyone in the business except, yep, you guessed it, Microsoft.

Please, check the facts again before writing in here. All Apple has done is add fair-play drm to its files but they still can be played anywhere, any time on any platform. Apple may not be perfect, but what you are saying is total nonsense.

Why is it that Apple lovers take criticisms of Apple so personally that it seems like the discussion is about abortion instead of gadgets?

Anyway, my post wasn't as much against Apple as it was against the entire digital music industry of which Apple is the most influential right now. I can play a CD on any CD player I own but I can't play a purchased digital music file on any digital music player I choose. My main point is why should I download a U2 album or song or boxed set and be content with playing it on only a few players when I could buy a CD and rip it to mp3 and play it anywhere?

I love the way Apple products are designed. They are indeed beautiful pieces of electronic gadgetry. But see the link that follows and you will see that what afflicts the digital music industry afflicts Apple more than any other:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6490_7-5140299.html?tag=dir.comp

If you could write an informative post that educates me on any finer points that I am missing I would appreciate it. But I hope you would refrain from making it so personal. Honestly I would appreciate any useful bit of insight you could provide and I'm sure those on this board who are new consumers of digital audio would appreciate it also.

Thanks.

Where's the too poor or too broke option? I still think this thing is too expensive. I hope it helps U2 with their upcoming album and all. I have too many christmas presents to buy for my family to afford this thing. I could sell my consoles.... but as much as I love gaming that's never going to happen.

Peace, love, and mp3's for all
Peace.gif

Last edited:
I spoke with an apple sales rep yesterday and she confirmed this is not limited edition but WILL be preloaded with HTDAAB. Jobs also says that in his interview with CNBC

I've been lurking on the forum here, trying my best to understand why U2--this band I have loved for 20 YEARS--is selling out to the digital beast in the worst possible way. I was mortified when I first heard Vertigo in a f-ing commercial for Apple. And now...after hearing about the Ipod and the digital box set, I am ready to say that I have no interest in any of this. I am HORRIFIED that the box set will not be available in traditional cd format. Granted, I already own most of the music it will have, but it would've been great to have it in a nicely packaged cd box set. I am angered that U2 now considers me part of a "valuable demographic with money to buy expensive digital entertainment". This action U2 has taken does NOT bring me any closer to them and their music in any way, to paraphrase a recent quote from Bono. I want no part of this, and if I do buy the new album, I will walk into a record store. The first post here wanted genuine feedback from the fans. Well, as a longtime fan, I feel truly alienated because I don't want to spend what little money I really do have on this crap.

Last edited:
patrinska said:
I've been lurking on the forum here, trying my best to understand why U2--this band I have loved for 20 YEARS--is selling out to the digital beast in the worst possible way. I was mortified when I first heard Vertigo in a f-ing commercial for Apple. And now...after hearing about the Ipod and the digital box set, I am ready to say that I have no interest in any of this. I am HORRIFIED that the box set will not be available in traditional cd format. Granted, I already own most of the music it will have, but it would've been great to have it in a nicely packaged cd box set. I am angered that U2 now considers me part of a "valuable demographic with money to buy expensive digital entertainment". This action U2 has taken does NOT bring me any closer to them and their music in any way, to paraphrase a recent quote from Bono. I want no part of this, and if I do buy the new album, I will walk into a record store. The first post here wanted genuine feedback from the fans. Well, as a longtime fan, I feel truly alienated because I don't want to spend what little money I really do have on this crap.

That is so rediculous. You definetly have a right to your feelings however are you still using tapes or did you switch formats and begin using CD's? You can download a song for $.99 come on...

I still don't understand this "selling out" stuff. There is a HUGE difference between selling out and capitalizing on what is already yours. U2 has never comformed to someone else's ideals for money, and I don't think they ever will. I mentioned this in another thread.

And being upset that the product is to much money, I'm buying the box set cause I don't have enough money to buy every single cd. There are cars out there I don't have enough money for, I don't hate the makers of it cause I don't.

Back
Top Bottom