Your HTDAAB Epiphanies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Call me stubborn or just plain slow, but as several of you said at the time, HTDAAB is a grower.

Well for the past two days, I've had HTDAAB cycling among Christmas music and finally fell in love with "Miracle Drug" today!! What a rapturous song! I can't wait to sing it at the top of my lungs in concert!

What about you guys? What were your big AHA! I FINALLY GET IT moments from HTDAAB that maybe didn't hit you immediately?

All u2 songs are growers - even the ones I instantly like can, with no warning, sneak up and sucker punch me with their absolute wonderful nummy-ness
That being said HTDABB epiphanies
Miracle Drug - oh how I love this song - Come March 1st I will be either being screaming along with Edge or telling people to be quite so I can hear his solo:) More than likely the first. I loooooove Miracle Drug - have since the "beach recordings"

Yahweh - I can't explain it but this song which I kinda blew off at first tugs at me now in a big way
All Because of You - I had to move past the "An intellectual tortoise" line -but just the other day this song finally snagged me and I will be screaming "an intellectual tor-toy-ise" at the concert as loud as I can :)

Although I liked AMAAW from the 1st time I heard it, my love for it took a giant leap forward a few days ago when I was visualizing the song in my mind while it played. I guess you could say that I imagined my own video for it. To me, the song has a Achtung Baby feel to it. Get out your AB sleeve and take a look at the band's photo opposite the Trying to Throw Your Arms lyrics. Those guys look pretty cool don't they?! Well, I don't think it's much of a stretch to imagine them playing AMAAW. For those who despise AMAAW and say it's totally un-U2 crap, listen to it immediately after Trying to Throw Your Arms (which I think most fans would agree is a good song). That should 'validate' the song's existance in the U2 catalog. I know this may not change any minds about AMAAW, but it's worth a shot. Oh yeah, in my imaginary AMAAW video, Ali makes her second appearance in a U2 vid (and it's not corny either). :wink:

I was also very disappointed in AMAAW. In fact, out of all the songs on the album, I thought it was by far the worst song on the album and that it really brought the album down. It's a very wussy, chessy, corny song. It was another pop song that most crap bands we hear now would play. But after a few listens, it's a very sweet-sounding song. To me, the song now feels very gypsy-like.

I thought Miracle Drug was bad too when I first heard it, but now it's growing on me, and it's going to sound great in concer. COBL will definitely sound great in concert too.

This tour is going to blow away the Elevation tour.

:drool:

Listen to Bono's voice in Original of the Species. Just the vocals. It's perfect. "Somethings you shouldn't get to good at"
Perfect...
I don't know which one I would sing at the top of my lungs, since I am doing that already with most of the album.
In concert I would sing Crumbs, because it so.. rocks and it's my favorite, still after all these weeks. :wink:

HelloAngel said:

Well for the past two days, I've had HTDAAB cycling among Christmas music and finally fell in love with "Miracle Drug" today!! What a rapturous song! I can't wait to sing it at the top of my lungs in concert!

:applaud: Welcome! It also took me awhile it's a GREAT song.... I can't wait for COBL live!

I didn't like Crumbs too when I first heard it. But then after I first listened to the album, I saw the DVD that came with the CD/DVD/Book package. When I saw them play Crumbs on the DVD, it sounded great. This song souds better live than on record and it will also rock in concert.

Like I said, this tour is going to be incredible. These songs on HTDAAB are fantastic live songs.

From HTDAAB, the tour should include:
Vertigo (obviously)
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
Love Peace or Else
City of Blinding Lights
All Because of You
Crumbs from Your Table
One Step Closer
Original of the Species
Yahweh

10 out 11 songs.

I don't think the Elevation tour had as many songs from ATYCLB. From my recollection, they did Beautiful Mind, Stuck in Moment, Elevation, Walk On, and New York.

On Elevation tour, from ATYCLB they did

Beautiful Day
Stuck
Elevation
Walk On
Kite
In A Little While
New York

Wild Honey and WILATW made several brief cameos, and Peace On Earth was used as an intro to Walk On later in the tour. The only song never played in any capacity was Grace, unless you count the post-show speaker song.

The only real epiphany I had with the songs on the album is Yahweh. I thought it was among the most bland songs U2 had ever done, but after a few weeks, I was happy to say I misjudged it. I love the song now.

other slight ones:

Sometimes YCMIOYO, I believe is clearly the highpoint of the album, I think it's getting better with age, although I generally have thought the song was excellent from the first time I heard it. I guess the epiphany is that this seems to be "the song" from this album.

One Step Closer is much more interesting and understatedly well done than on the first few listens.

The whole album grows on me wit every listen... MD, COBL, AMAAW, YHWH and so on.
Just finished watching U2 Go Home (again) and I think that this tour will blow Elevation tour away!!
Off-topic: my biggest grower is album Heathen from David Bowie.

HelloAngel said:

What about you guys? What were your big AHA! I FINALLY GET IT moments from HTDAAB that maybe didn't hit you immediately?

Unfortunatlely - none. As it was the first time, it is now... What's more, I even like some songs less than hearing them for the first couple of times (i.e. AMAAW, COBL, LAPOE, MD). I didn't love the album at first, as I don't love it now. (still, slightly better than October, for Zooropa I'd have to think hard...)

for me sometimes is a classic in the mould of one,,,,. but the thing with u2 songs they take time to sink in . YOu listen to it and think, eh that means nothing to me, nice melody and instrumentation, but thats it.

Its only life experiences do the songs and the lyrics in particular pack that extra punch...... to me such songs are walk on, electrical storm & exit for some strange reason.

Of course for pure aggression and frustration, i dig out THE FLY ( to me the ascending guitar riffs of vertigo, uteoftw, discotheque, mofo, btbs.

u2 - a code for life

I reckon Miracle Drug is definitely the songt hat took the most time to sing in on me, and now I ccan understand what all those gushers we're on about, a great great song

tears came out of my eyes listening to "sometimes you can't...." i've never wiped for any song in my life, the lyrics just crashed into my spirit and lead me beyond my body, i don't think there can exist any other stronger song.......no.....

Love and peace to me, at first, sounded like the Muppets (specifically cookie monster) playing- especially the guitar.

I also dismissed City of blinding lights as a "Streets part two".

I like them both now.

Unfortunately...I like the album less now than a month ago. I found the entire album incredibly immediate. It took maybe a week for AMAAW to grow on me, and after it did I loved it for maybe a couple weeks at best. I absolutely loved LAPOE at first listen, now I skip it most of the time. Strangely enough, I thought at first I'd get really sick of Vertigo, but that's the one song on the album I never get sick of. (Sometimes is close, but too depressing to listen to over and over IMO)

I found nothing on this album to be "grower" material in the sense that it took me months and in some cases upwards to a year to really "get" the album like some of the 90's stuff.

I think it's time I put away HTDAAB for a while and hit up the back cataloge.

From the beggining i was afraid that most of them will, with time, get enough of A-BOMB, and see all the negative sides like I saw them almost immediatley...
Then, I and others who didn't praise it like everyone else was, was minority. Everyone was saying that this time it's not like with ATYCLB, many of them were trashing it, so that means this one is great, but I'm still afraid that that was just the hype and this will happen to BOmb as well.
Proove me I'm wrong... please...:(

U2DMfan said:

One Step Closer is much more interesting and understatedly well done than on the first few listens.

I absolutely agree with this.

One Step Closer was very underwhelming to me on the first few listens and I even felt it was dragging down the album because of its placement, but I quite appreciate it now.

for me, it was Love and Peace or Else. oddly enough, even though I love all of Edge's effects in Achtung-Zooropa-Pop, here it took me awhile to really like it

I think I may be starting to appreciate AMAAW. Maybe. At least the chorus. :D

Miracle Drug was a grower. It didn't do anything for me on the first few listens, but now it might be my favorite song on the whole album.

Yahweh is also a song that didn't hit me immediately, but lately when I listen to it, it actually brings tears to my eyes in that soaring Streets fashion.

a man and a woman sounds like oldschool U2

don't hate.

listen to it... sounds like them from 84 until 88.
don't agree? listen to all the B-sides, then you'll know what's up.
adam does a good job with the bassline

and the bridge is a dope.

"little sister, I've been sleeping in the street again, like a stray dog"
pure acthung baby on that shit *lol* yeye

dtraight up, it's about the music...
throw your expectatinos out the window.

just take the music for what it is.. and then you actaully see what's up.

if you're one of those worrying about not liking the album anymore after a couple of weeks... tak into consideration tha it's almost impossible to listen to jus one album for the rest of your life. plus you've getting influenced by new music everyday.

I bet when that shit plays live or on the radio, you'll be in love again with the tunes. trust

My epiphanies:

1) Bono is at his best when he writes tortured, bittersweet anthems about the agony/ecstasy of love, in the first person (One, WOWY, SYCMIOYO <-- I know this is about Bono's dad on one level, but on another, it could be a song about a romantic breakup). Bono is at his worst when he gives cheesy advice in the third person ("There is no failure here sweetheart / just when you quit").

2) One Step Closer and Yahweh have the most poetic lyrics on the album.

3) Larry's drums need to be louder in the mix. Bono is singing well, and his voice is great, but it overpowers the rest of the band oftentimes.

4) This is one of their best albums ever.

5) The "Miracle Drug" lyrics are a direct refutation of and attack on the lyrics of Coldplay's "The Scientist." Nice one, Bono! Nothing wrong with trying to start a little rivalry.

Back
Top Bottom