your first U2 album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zooropa bought in 1999:| Yea Zooropa was my first album:wink: my Da brought it home one day I was 11 at the time looked in saw some weird names heard some weird music and well loved it lol, there I was sitting in my classroom listening to Zooropa on my CD player ( before the rise of the MP3 lol) when everyone else there was listening to Rave or Metal lol, first song that got me was "Somedays Are Better Than Others" and the whole thing is my 3rd favorite U2 album, after all that I heard Beautiful Day soon after and then it's all part of history now, amen to U2 and praise be to their music, GLORRRRRRRRIAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GLOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

Eh ok I was wish I was older to be more nostalgic but hey whats it to ya?

Last edited:
i think my first record was JT

i have early recollections of my sister playing Zooropa when i was a kid (the noise, i remember the noise at the end) and i know when she went away at the end of 1996 she was all excited because she came back with Achtung Baby but i didnt really care.

Somewhere over the course of the next few months though someone bought me Joshua Tree and War and I was kinda paying attention when Pop came out but didnt buy it immediately. So honestly and sadly i have no idea what the first album i personally bought was, although i do remember being borderline giddy with awe when i first listened to Streets and WOWY off the cd my friend gave me.

Oh and less then a year after my sister bought home Achtung Baby and i didnt care, i was selling my bike and my rollerblades to be able to go to Popmart (and possibly having to travel 12 hours to get there), screaming wildly in the front row of the concert and thinking i'd died and gone to heaven when i met Bono a few days later :D

Joshua tree kicked something off in me....

edited to add - i didnt have to buy a lot of my albums anyway because although i had a few already ,i won a competition on the radio that gave me the whole back catalogue up to ATYCLB.

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:

So I'm guessing you're a fan of the rockier 90s! :hmm:

Atleast thats when i started to listen to the band :wink: ,, Lets just say that it was easier for me to get into the band because of Achtung baby.. When you consider my previous music taste.

u2granny said:
Here's where we show our age.:| Mine was War.

Me too. :sigh:

I got it at the now defunct Nichol's dept. store, vinyl, I still have it.

War LP (bought in mid 1983)

I heard "New Year's Day" on the radio...and that's all it took.....
to become a U2 fan!!! Bono's got one heck of a voice...
on that song... there will NEVER be another song like this one,
EVER again!!! It's my all-time favorite song and War is my all-time
favorite LP.. Classic U2 !! :up: Definitely the best!!:yes: :applaud:

my first u2 album was when i sold a few cds and i used the money to buy ATYCLB. when i got a job the first u2 cd i bought was ZOOROPA on the cdnow preferred buyers club.

All That You Can't Leave Behind.. April 2001. The album changed my life though rather slowly..certainly didn't fall in love with it overnight - Beautiful Day and Stuck In A Moment and Kite were early standouts but the rest of it seemed pretty ordinary. It grew on me some more and even though it pales in comparison to some of their other stuff.. it got me hooked...an addiction i've been feeding ever since...

I can't remember if it was Boy or October. My boyfriend at the time (1980 (speaking of old) had Boy so I may have bought October since Boy was soooo good.

all that you can't leave behind, after I had heard beautiful day on the radio.....didn't really think about it; kind of bought it on a whim b/c I remember I didn't even like beautiful day when I first heard it. Took awhile for the album to grow on me but then that was the end of pre-u2 obsession :sexywink:

The Joshua Tree. The reason i bought it was WOWY and ISHFWILF. I had heard these songs over the years but i didnt know it was u2. (hadnt even heard of them.) I remember hearing streets for the first time and just sitting there totally speechless.

My first was Achtung Baby in Sept. 2004. I had been a casual fan for a few years, but I had just gotten the Slane DVD for my birthday, and that was it. I was definitely hooked for life. I picked AB because I recognized a couple of songs on it and liked the cover art. Of course, by the time HTDAAB came out in November, I had already bought all the other albums, including the Best Ofs and B-sides. And yes, I was veeerrrry broke after that! :wink: Now, I can't wait to see them live for the first time this tour!!:dancing:

First U2 album was Best Of 1990-2000 for christmas 2002. I learned my U2 backwards as far as releases.

Rattle and Hum on cassette in 1988 or 1989. I had completely fallen in love with U2 when The Joshua Tree was released, but at the time I was going through a major financial crisis (I was in college and my loan money ran out and I didn't qualify for financial aid) and didn't feel like I could spend money on anything but the bare necessities. I ended up taping a bunch of songs from JT, plus their earlier songs like Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Year's Day from the radio.

Anyway, by the time Rattle and Hum came out I wasn't so broke anymore. It looked like I was going to get through college without having to drop out due to lack of money after all, so I decided to reward myself by buying some luxuries I had been denying myself - like music. I remember walking to the record store located just off campus one sunny day and trying to decide if I wanted to get JT or R&H. I decided on R&H because it was longer even though it cost about the same as JT. I took it home and played it so much that I wore it out soon afterwards.

U2Girl1978 said:
My first U2 album I bought was HTDAAB....

I've liked U2 for years and didn't really pay much attention to them even though my friend and my dad sometimes talked about them.... One day I heard the song Vertigo on the radio and I was totally surprised that it was U2. It got me hooked. I ended up borrowing my dad's cd(greatest hits 80-90) and from then on I've bought all of their albums...now I'm buying their singles...and well the rest as they say is history..I'm now going to 5 of their shows...

:crazy:

Dude, that's so cool! And now you have like 1600 posts and you're going to see them live FIVE TIMES... that's so awesome; once you see them live there is NO turning back, lol. I'm just really happy to see the new album bringing in more converted!! :happy:

Alright, so in 1997 I was 9 (yes, I'm young) and my mom had bought Pop and wanted to listen to it in the car. For some reason I thought U2 was a heavy metal band at the time, and I didn't want to hear them (I wanted to listen to Jethro Tull...I was a weird kid :p). But my mom finally convinced me to give the first song a listen...I believe my reaction was, "Can we hear that AGAIN?!!" Eventually she just let me "borrow" the CD so I could listen to Discotheque as much as I wanted (I'm not sure if I even realized there were more songs on the CD until I heard the first song about 3867 times :laugh: ). Well, I still have that CD, and I love every second of it... unlike a lot of people, I took to it right away. The only tracks I didn't like at first were Gone (I always skipped it for some reason...when I actually HEARD the whole song I LOVED it), The Playboy Mansion (still mediocre imo), and If You Wear That Velvet Dress (again, I skipped it, but when I listened to it the whole way through I really liked it). But even the ones I didn't like at first I grew to like in not too much time...Pop is and always will be my favourite album by anyone, ever. Every note is a part of me and always will be. So many memories are attached to that album... I think it was probably the only thing I listened to for the duration of my third grade year (and I listened to music A LOT. still do) and I listened to it basically throughout my entire childhood/adolescence/right now.

The first album I actually bought myself was The Joshua Tree (after I bought the Discotheque single...I couldn't get enough of that song, even in 10-minute dance versions :rockon: I was 9, ok?) , at the suggestion of Bono himself. Or, more accurately, some random guy with "HEWSON" in his screename that IMed me and said "do u like u2. im bono" Even at the tender gullible age of nine (ten?), I was pretty unconvinced. But I took his advice anyway, which was to buy JT (I told him all I had was Pop.) For some reason I don't remember it very well... I got a lot of U2 albums as birthday and Christmas gifts shortly thereafter - UF, Zooropa, October, Rattle and Hum... it all kinda blends together. All I know is that after hearing Discotheque my life was changed. Seriously.

AtomicBono said:

I love every second of it... unlike a lot of people, I took to it right away. Pop is and always will be my favourite album by anyone, ever. Every note is a part of me and always will be. So many memories are attached to that album... I think it was probably the only thing I listened to for the duration of my third grade year (and I listened to music A LOT. still do) and I listened to it basically throughout my entire childhood/adolescence/right now.

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Where have you been? I've never seen you fighting for the album in the gazillian Pop threads we've had.

Zootlesque said:

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Where have you been? I've never seen you fighting for the album in the gazillian Pop threads we've had.

Well the threads tend to get really long and often times it's the same old argument over and over... I'll just make my statement here and anyone can feel free to use it in any Pop thread:

Pop is the greatest album ever and anyone that disagrees is wrong. And you all love Miami; just admit it and quit bitching about it. Life will be easier once you realize that Pop is great and you can go argue about something else.

It is definatly good to see some of the young fans in here I was about 12 when I really got into U2 and I have now been listening to them compulsively for half of my life lol

The joshua tree. When i was 17. That was mu first album. It still brings me a lot of memories from that time.

Under A Blood Red Sky

A girl I really liked in high school (1987) was listening to it in her car. I went out to the local drugstore, found a copy and listened to it so we would have something more to talk about. I've long forgotten the girl.

The first album I got was war in 1992, I was about 14 and my parents gave me some money for a new CD but is wasn't enough for Achtung Baby :wink: though I loved the war album and played it everyday. When I finally got Achtung Baby I was shocked at the difference, I was like is this the same band? But zootv Sydney was broadcast on TV latter in 93 but I still couldn't get used to the change. Awesome album though:drool:

Back
Top Bottom