Your first album-what does it say about you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The album that launched me into super-fandom was ATYCLB. What does this say about me? That I'm only 20?

My favorite albums are War, Unforgetable Fire, and Rattle & Hum. :shrug:

The order in which I bought the U2 albums: War, October, Under A Blood Red Sky, The Unforgettable Fire, Rattle & Hum, Achtung Baby, Pop, Zooropa, The Joshua Tree, Boy, All That You Can't Leave Behind, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

War was first, the LP. Then October and Boy, cassettes. That would have been 1983 or 1984. Wow. Under a Blood Red Sky was bought as an LP also.

October is magical. My favorite of the early 3. Has a spooky, mystical Celtic vibe to it that no other record has had.

Joshua Tree (no turning back!! Loved it from the start) / ATYCLB (around the same time I think)
Best of 80-90
Achtung Baby
October / War (given as gifts for my 12th birthday, four years ago! ouch!)

all I remember...I have every one now, but I can't be bothered remembering, heh.

ATYCLB -- This says, um, well, I'll make a list.

I'm 16
.....I like ATYCLB?

I don't know, I guess it was just the first U2 album I was old enough to notice.

Walk on is still my favourite song.

Oooh!! I've got it. Because ATYCLB was my first album, it means I like 'the sound of four men in a room playing together'

(that didn't sound too good:ohmy: )

Pop was my first u2 album- october, ab, pop and htdaab are my top four albums. Though my music taste does generally differ from most mofo babies- lyrically I tend to go for the theologically bent albums..and three of my listed faves have a heavy theological bend lyrically..pop, october and htdaab.

Meghan said:
I'm 16
.....I like ATYCLB?

I don't know, I guess it was just the first U2 album I was old enough to notice.

That's probably it for me, too. But I bought it and loved it to bits all the same! Every track is a winner with me. U2 had always been a band I knew BITS of songs by, when I heard them on the radio...Sweetest Thing got it's re-release and I always knew they were the 'with or without you' band, but by the time ATYCLB came out, it was too good to resist. The following summer I finally listened to The Joshua Tree and it completely flipped my life upside-down!

Aaargh I'm REALLY confused!!! I'm now really confused as to what I got first!!

I remember really liking ATYCLB, BUT I listened to The Joshua Tree a ton after I gave it a quick listen to see if 'Pride' was on there after seeing them on The Simpsons and I noticed my Dad had 'Joshua Tree', ( I'd no idea of the name of the track back then so it could have been on any album for all I knew) then I found out the name of the track and decided to buy The Best of 80-90, BUT couldn't resist getting 'ATYCLB'...THEN got the Best Of...man this is confusing, What does this say about me now?!

Last edited:
My first U2 album was Rattle and Hum which I bought soon after it's release and under the mistaken notion that it contained With or Without You!? But although I was disapointed that this was not the case, I grew to love the album and went on the buy The Joshua Tree and all the other U2 albums available at the time. When Achtung Baby was released a couple of years later, U2s new sound surprised me but in a good way and it's been the same with each new U2 album. Every new U2 album is like a new adventure, a "musical journey" to quote you know who!! I never get tired of listening to what new sound U2 have come up with next.:rockon:

first album was Best of the 90s (which my mom had bought), and I do find that I listen to the Trinity (AB, Zooropa, Pop) more than the others combined. Not that they're necessarily my favorite 3, but they seem to have more musical and lyrical depth, and I can listen to them over and over and never get bored. Whereas, albums like JT, Boy, ATYCLB I can only listen to so much even though I love them. (well I don't love all of ATYCLB, but...)

I got mine in 1984. First album was UF, saw the Pride video on Mtv (back when they use to play videos all day long), then went and got the album. After I heard Bad, I was a fan for life. After UF, I then got War, October and Boy. From then on I got them when they came out.

My first U2 album was ATYCLB, because of my age probably :D, but I wouldnt say that it has remained to be my favourite U2 era.
JT and AB are better while ATYCLB still gets a very good 3rd place. I think ATYCLB being the first U2 album still has influenced my current music taste a little. Im not very much into the early music of U2 and I do prefer ATYCLB over War (although Sunday and New Years Day are both among my favourites) for example.........
runs.......now you`re gonna kill me for saying that, right?

Bought Achtung Baby in 97 after watching all the videos from AB and Zooropa. :drool: And then Pop shortly after. The 90s is definitely my fav era of all. It could be because of that... :shrug:

My first album was War. I don't know what it really says about me. What really hooked me was Larry's drumming, especially in The Refugee... I like that song even though I don't hear it making the list of favorites for many. I like the 80s, they had such good beats, War had the raw music taste that I craved. I also got AB along with it and it was kinda weird because AB was sorta mellow for me around One and Acrobat. Eh.

Sevikins said:
What really hooked me was Larry's drumming, especially in The Refugee... I like that song even though I don't hear it making the list of favorites for many.

Amen, buddy! The Refugee kicks ass! I've always loved it.

woahhoooooohhhhhhhhhhh! :wink:

My first U2 album was the Joshua Tree. My uncle gave it to me for Christmas when I was 12 years old. I knew the WOWY and WTSHNN from the radio, but the album expanded my musical world and made me a U2 fan.

It wasn't until rattle and Hum that I truly became a die-hard fan. I know lots of people hate the movie/album, but it was a revalation for me.

ATYCLB was my first album... I guess it shows that I've been blissfully ignoring U2 until the year 2000, :) It's tied with Unforgettable Fire for my favourite and I love them for completely different reasons, though.

I have always been a fan as long as I can remember, but it was Achtung Baby that REALLY got me into U2. It's still my favorite album of theirs, and like someone else said above me, if I had to pick one album for the rest of my life - that would be it. I love all thier later albums as well... especially ATYCLB. I like their older stuff too - particularly UF. But the Zoo Tour/Era will always be my favorite stuff. :D

i picked up achtung baby in 1996, my senior year in high school. being somewhat of a metal kid in high school, i had always dismissed u2 as "weak shit." i sort of came around after watching rattle & hum, which vh1 seemed to be playing on a constant loop at the time (though i got achtung because it had the most tunes that i recognized) needless to say i loved it, and a few months later, i got pop on the day it dropped. that probably does a lot to explain why i prefer to listen to the 90s material, though also because i regard it as their peak in terms of songwriting and creativity. i love the 80s material as well. not so keen on 2000 on . . .

My first album was Unforgettable Fire. But I'm not one of the people who are looking for a return to the old ... e-hem... 'approach'.

One of the things that kept me a U2 fan for so long was that they kept changing. I liked many bands on their first album, got a little bored on the second, and totally lost interest on the third--because nothing had changed. I don't go for one-trick ponies.

echo0001 said:
My first album was Unforgettable Fire. But I'm not one of the people who are looking for a return to the old ... e-hem... 'approach'.

One of the things that kept me a U2 fan for so long was that they kept changing. I liked many bands on their first album, got a little bored on the second, and totally lost interest on the third--because nothing had changed. I don't go for one-trick ponies.

Same for me. The band's evolution is what I like too. My first album was War. 1983. New Years Day hooked me. The great thing about U2 is that they do try to invent or re-invent their sound. I have stayed with them for over 20 years, yes, occasionally placing them on the back burner, but never letting go.

uwwedoogie said:
my first album doesnt say much about me... I got the regular Achtung Baby LP and not the Special talking edition

What the fuck?

Anyway, my first album was Pop and it's still my favourite album of all time, though Achtung is a close second. I'd say overall I favor the 90's U2 material and attitude, but I love every U2 album. I think HTDAAB is brilliant, but I think for their next album U2 needs to push the boundries again, HTDAAB wasn't really pushing the boundries...so yeah I do long for the 90's experimental stuff, I can't help it!

My first U2 album was Joshua Tree and is still my favourite. I grew up hearing their music but never really took much notice until i heard with or without You on the radio about a year ago. I heard that song at just the right moment. That album got me through a real tough time. I may be a new fan of U2 but i'm making up for lost time:wink:

My first album was War, (New Years Day began it for me also) then skipped to '87 and became a fanatic. Bought everything up to that point and the rest is a very long wonderful history.
I will say getting into interference has taken me fully back to the days of War since no one - literally - knew about U2, except me it seemed. I finally have (since 2003) an entire message board to express all that I have ever wanted to say about U2.
(But the rest of my world still isn't up to par on U2 currently, but I'm still working at it ) :wink:

Hmm, my first album I bought, think it says I really like "New Year's Day."

The first U2 album I bought on my own, was "War." I liked "New Year's Day" off the best of 1980-90 that my uncle bought me, but a few months after I had the best of, I heard "New Year's Day" on the radio, and it wasn't the same as the best of version.

War remains my favorite U2 album, maybe because it was my first one?

All That You Cant Leave Behind:reject:

In my defence i was only 14 when it come out. I thought it was amazing back then but now its just plain boring.
My taste has improved though since then!!:wink:

Although httdaab is amazing, i do prefer achtung baby or the earlier stuff like boy or war

Back
Top Bottom