Your Favorite U2 Ablum + Your LEAST Favorite U2 album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't pick a most favorite, it's between Achtung Baby, Zooropa, ATYCLB and HTDAAB

Least favorite would probably be October

Is Passengers not considered a U2 album?

It is the worst! Proves that Bono cannot concentrate fully on more than one thing at a time. He's gotta choose between saving the world or making good music.

You know what, I tried listening to HTDAAB this afternoon again. And it really didn't do anything for me. The only songs I really enjoyed listening to were Crumbs and OOTS. Crumbs has such an abbrasive production though that it really maws it. But I really can't find anything wrong with OOTS, it's simply the best song on the album, and a genuinely fine track. Other than that, One Step Closer is the best sounding song on the album, but musically it's still fairly forgettable.

The bottom line is I think HTDAAB may just actually be my least favorite U2 album. Even moreso than Pop or War. :shocked:

After listening to it, I put on ATYCLB and celebrated in the joy of my favorite album. :happy:

Lancemc said:
You know what, I tried listening to HTDAAB this afternoon again. And it really didn't do anything for me. The only songs I really enjoyed listening to were Crumbs and OOTS. Crumbs has such an abbrasive production though that it really maws it. But I really can't find anything wrong with OOTS, it's simply the best song on the album, and a genuinely fine track. Other than that, One Step Closer is the best sounding song on the album, but musically it's still fairly forgettable.

The bottom line is I think HTDAAB may just actually be my least favorite U2 album. Even moreso than Pop or War. :shocked:

After listening to it, I put on ATYCLB and celebrated in the joy of my favorite album. :happy:

Ugh...I despise the production on ATYCLB. It sounds too clean, to marshmellowy...I don't know what it is, but it makes Elevation sound like an aural root canal, and Walk On sound cavity-inducing. :yuck: Also, where the hell is the bass? :huh:

I'll let you in on a secret. :wink: Why do people pick out the early material, Pop, and HTDAAB as having Adam's best bass work (take note that none of those are Eno/Lanois-produced)? It's because Lillywhite and Flood actually bothered to turn Adam's bass on. :madspit: That's one of the things I've always had against Eno/Lanois...I like the bass up front and powerful. I hope Rubin does the same.

Fav : Joshua Tree/ AB , tough to choose between those two , so different , so beautiful , so daring , so good , so goofy , so what !

Worst : ATYCLB , the beginning of the end , everything is going downhill from that point , some bands should quit for good , parody mixed with commercial appeal ,

LemonMelon said:
Why do people pick out the early material, Pop, and HTDAAB as having Adam's best bass work

Because Pop has Do You Feel Loved on it :drool: best Adam track ever!
IMO Pop was definately Adam's record :yes:

Favorite: Tie between War & The Unforgettable Fire
Least: Tie between Zooropa & Pop

Favorite: JT (close behind: AB and UF)
Least favorite: POP

I love the sound of most of the songs on those albums. I dislike the sound of most of the songs on Pop. MOFO, Discoteque, Last Night on Earth, Please and Do You Feel Loved literally give me the headache and make me queasy.

LemonMelon said:

Ugh...I despise the production on ATYCLB. It sounds too clean, to marshmellowy...I don't know what it is, but it makes Elevation sound like an aural root canal, and Walk On sound cavity-inducing. :yuck: Also, where the hell is the bass? :huh:

I'll let you in on a secret. :wink: Why do people pick out the early material, Pop, and HTDAAB as having Adam's best bass work (take note that none of those are Eno/Lanois-produced)? It's because Lillywhite and Flood actually bothered to turn Adam's bass on. :madspit: That's one of the things I've always had against Eno/Lanois...I like the bass up front and powerful. I hope Rubin does the same.

I've read of someone else hinting at this too, Eno kinda buries Adam's bass. Or maybe just doesn't give it as much prominence as Lillywhite? It does seems like Adam plays better if Lillywhite or someone other than Eno isn't producing it. Though I've read from an interview with Lillywhite, of the members of U2, he and Adam are the closest as friends.

Boy, October, War, Atomic Bomb, produced by Lillywhite and With or Without You and Streets were mixed by Lillywhite.

Zooropa and Pop were produced by Flood, and Edge on Zooropa.

Maybe Eno is like some other people, doesn't think bass is that important? :shrug:

LemonMelon said:

Also, where the hell is the bass? :huh:

Thank you!! :hug: I've always thought the bass was practically smothered on ATYCLB (probably one/the main reason I don't like the album), and I know my CD player isn't broken cos it sounds sweeeeet on Pop.
(I saw a Pop-era interview recently where the interviewer was asking the band members to finish sentences... he said "the new album sounds like...?" and Adam said "...Garbage?", and Bono piped up with something like "That's sad, it's your album! You trash the one album you're really good on" or something.)

I never particularly noticed the bass being buried on the other Eno/Lanois albums, but you're probably right. I have noticed the bass more on the earlier albums recently though.
(Mind you, I'm going through a rediscovery of pretty much all their albums at the moment, giving them the loud-on-headphones-in-the-dark treatment. I haven't given AB this treatment yet recently, so that may affect things...)

Anyway...

My favourite: (literally has been changing every week, but today the winner is) Rattle & Hum :up:
('specially if you skip the live tracks, although I adore Silver & Gold)

Least favourite: ATYCLB :| (much easier choice - it never grabbed me at all)

Poor October... if I'd read this thread last week it would have been my favourite for sure. :(

Favourite: Pop

Least Favourite: All That You Can't Leave Behind

Is that really a surprise to anyone that knows me? :tongue:

This was almost a close call. I love Achtung Baby almost as much as Pop, but there are more songs on Pop that I love a lot more than the songs on Achtung Baby that I really love.
And How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb was almost my least favourite choice, except there are only like two songs on it that make me want to destroy my headphones, and there are like six songs on ATYCLB that do that to me.

Alisaura said:

Poor October... if I'd read this thread last week it would have been my favourite for sure. :(

Don't let this thread affect your opinion too much. October is in my top 5, so not everyone thinks it's forgettable. Plus the bass is up front. ;) Gloria, Fire, With a Shout,
wonder if that's why it was Adam's favourite U2 album for awhile. :hmm:

thrillme said:

Boy, October, War, Atomic Bomb, produced by Lillywhite and With or Without You and Streets were mixed by Lillywhite.

This is important to notice. WOWY contains one of Adam's best known bass lines, and the same goes for Streets. And who mixed it? Lillywhite. I think this is quite telling.

thrillme said:

Don't let this thread affect your opinion too much. October is in my top 5, so not everyone thinks it's forgettable. Plus the bass is up front. ;) Gloria, Fire, With a Shout,
wonder if that's why it was Adam's favourite U2 album for awhile. :hmm:

Mmmm, bass. I also was thinking about October that Larry's drumming was awesome.
Didn't know Adam's favourite was October for a while... :hmm: indeed!

Yay for bass-friendly producers! :applaud:

LemonMelon said:

This is important to notice. WOWY contains one of Adam's best known bass lines, and the same goes for Streets. And who mixed it? Lillywhite. I think this is quite telling.

I'll be listening to the radio, and I usually have the bass dial turned to it's highest anyway, but if "With or Without You" comes on, the bass rattles the windows. :D Hehe then the next song comes on, and not always the same effect.

Back
Top Bottom