Your album rating list...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oskar

Babyface
1. Joshua Tree - Surprise...
2. Achtung Baby - A good second place
3. The Unforgettable Fire - A great album, I love Edge's sound
4. Pop
5. All that you can't leave behind
6. Zooropa
7. Ratlle and hum
8. Bomb - not a good album, only two or three good songs, the rest is useless, but the good songs save it from last place
9. Boy - Out of control, into the heart... great songs, not my favourite genre though
10. War
11. October

Live albums are not on my list...

:adam: :larry: :edge: :bono:

This thread has been done a thousand times. But ok, I happen to like this kind of threads. :wink:

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. HTDAAB
5. War
6. Zooropa
7. October
8. Boy
9. Rattle and Hum
10. Pop
11. All That You Can't Leave Behind

1. Zooropa
2. The Joshua Tree
3. Pop
4. War
5. HTDAAB
6. Achtung Baby
7. Boy
8. ATYCLB
9. Rattle And Hum
10. October
11. The Unforgettable Fire

1. Achtung Baby

2. Boy

3. War

4. HTDAAB

5. POP / Passengers OS1

6. Zooropa / Unforgettable Fire

7. October

8. Joshua Tree

9. R&H

1. The Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
4. All That You Can't Leave Behind
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. War
7. Pop
8. Rattle & Hum
9. Boy
10. October
11. Zooropa

Here we go again:wink: But I like this!

1.Achtung Baby
2.The Joshua Tree
3.Zooropa
4.The Unforgatable Fire
5.How To Dismatle An Atomic Bomb
6.Pop
7.War
8.All That You Can't Leave Behind
9.Boy
10.Passengers
11.October
12.Rattle and Hum

1. The Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. Pop
6. Zooropa
7. All That You Can't Leave Behind
8. Boy
9. War
10. Rattle & Hum
11. October

(I don't own Rattle and Hum so I'll leave that off the list)

1. Achtung Baby (Love every track on there)
2. The Unforgettable Fire (Very atmospheric)
3. October (It ain't that bad! Rough and ready yes, but IMHO Fire, Gloria and Tomorrow are one of many diamonds among the rough)
4. War (It might dip a bit towards the end but SBS, Drowning Man, 40, NYD, and Seconds more than make up for other more...questionable songs :wink: )
5. HTDAAB (I thought it was great when I first listened to it but its appeal doesn't seem to have much longevity somehow. Still a good album though)
6. The Joshua Tree (A superb first half hurtles itself into a second half that I just find dull and unlistenable. Perhaps it'll grow on me in time but for now, the only reason why it's #6 is down entirely to that killer first half)
7. Zooropa (At first I hated it but somehow I keep on wanting to listen to it :huh: And it gets better with each listen too)
8. Pop (A great album don't get me wrong but Miami, IYWTVD and Do You Feel Loved? are all reasons why it's so far down on my list)
9. ATYCLB (I don't think it's as bad as some people say but, let's be honest, that track listing is terrible and causes the second half of the album to really drag on causing the good songs in the second half to come across as being far worse than they actually are)
10. Boy (I'm sorry but I just don't 'get' it. Not at all.)

This is based on how much I'm enjoying them at this moment and how much play time they're getting. If asked to rate them on which I think are the best, my list would be different.

1. HTDAAB
2. AB
3. Pop
4. ATYCLB
5. JT
6. Zooropa
7. UF
8. Boy
9. R&H
10. War
11. October

I love all of them, purely based on my current favourites as i go through phazes.

1. BOY
2. HTDAAB
3. WAR
4. ATYCLB
5. ZOOROPA
6. R&H
7.OCTOBER
8. AB
9. J.T.
10.POP
11. UF
12.Passengers

1. Boy
2. Joshua Tree
3. Unforgettable Fire
4. HTDAAB
5. Pop
6. War
7. ATYCLB
8. October
9. Achtung Baby
10. Rattle And Hum
11. Zooropa
12. Passengers

1. Zooropa
2. Joshua Tree
3.Achtung Baby
4.Pop
5.October
6.Unforgettable Fire
7.War
8.Boy
9.ATYCLB
10.HTDAAB
11.Passengers
12.Rattle and Hum

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. Pop
4. Zooropa
5. Rattle And Hum :heart:
6. War
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. Boy
9. October
10. All That You Can't Leave Behind
11. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
12. Passengers

Okay, I think it's something like that. The top 3 pretty much never changes. Rattle And Hum has always been close to my heart. I think the studio cuts together with Silver And Gold more than make up for the filler. If War were remastered, it may be higher up. UF is great but sometimes I get bored by some of the songs. ATYCLB would be higher up with better lyrics. HTDAAB would be higher with better lyrics and better production. I do admire Passengers much more than many of these albums but since I find it quite hard to even listen to the second half of that CD, it has to be the last.

Achtung Baby 10.0 (Superb, my favorite of all time by anyone)
The Joshua Tree 9.5 (Flawless, maybe their best album overall)
Zooropa 9.0 (all things considered, this thing is genius)
The Unforgettable Fire 8.5 (Great with a little filler )
War 8.5 (Great with slightly more filler)
Pop 8.0 (Half totally brilliant. half filler)
Rattle and Hum 8.0 (Really great in spots, some excess fat)
Passengers 7.5 (not to be taken that seriously,some of it is ace)
HTDAAB 7.0 (pretty much right down the middle)
ATYCLB 6.5 (the best songs are great, the other 7 or 8 are filler)
Boy 6.0 (outside of maybe 4 songs, crap)
October 5.5 (outside of maybe 3 songs, crap)

Last edited:
I'm going to get crucified.

1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. The Joshua Tree
3. Passengers
4. Boy
5. War
6. Zooropa
7. October
8. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
9-11. Pop, Rattle And Hum, Achtung Baby (not really sure what order I'd put them in right now)
12. All That You Can't Leave Behind

1.TIE Achtung Baby/Pop
2.Joshua Tree
3.Zooropa
4.Rattle And Hum
5.Passengers
6.War
7.October
8.The Unforgettable Fire
9.All That You Can't Leave Behind
10.Boy
11.How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

1>. Achtung Baby
2>. The Unforgettable Fire - very close to first - in fact these could be switched at any time.
3>. Joshua Tree
4>. Zooropa
5>. Rattle and Hum
6>. Pop
7>. War
8>. Boy
9>. Passengers
10>. ATYCLB
11>. HTDAAB
12>. October

Axver said:
I'm going to get crucified.

1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. The Joshua Tree
3. Passengers
4. Boy
5. War
6. Zooropa
7. October
8. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
9-11. Pop, Rattle And Hum, Achtung Baby (not really sure what order I'd put them in right now)
12. All That You Can't Leave Behind

You won't be crucified if you explain your choices. 1 and 2 I can understand, UF has some stuff that I can't stand but I can see why others would like it. JT is obviously classic... with the exception of Mothers of the Disappeared, they're all great tracks. But....
Pop
Achtung Baby
Zooropa
Bomb
....are all worse than War?

Surely not.

T

1. Pop/Achtung Baby
2. HTDAAB
3. Zooropa
4. Boy
5. The Unforgettable Fire/The Joshua Tree/Rattle and Hum
6. War
7. Passengers
8. October
9. ATYCLB

tommycharles said:
JT is obviously classic... with the exception of Mothers of the Disappeared, they're all great tracks.

Exception of MOTD? I think it is a hauntingly beautiful, eerie song, a wonderful closer, and an essential part of the closing trilogy, the Suite Of Death. The only song on JT that should go is TTYW, for Spanish Eyes

But....
Pop
Achtung Baby
Zooropa
Bomb
....are all worse than War?

Surely not.

T

Yes, though I'll qualify that by saying I feel War and Zooropa are very close. While War has classic songs such as New Year's Day and overlooked gems like Drowning Man, Zooropa has artistic brilliance such as the title track and Lemon; it's just that War's only dud track is Red Light, while Zooropa has Babyface, and then the rather unexciting First Time/Dirty Day combo (Dirty Day, however, is excellent live and I'd love to hear The First Time live for myself, I just don't think it's all that exciting in studio).

Here, I'll explain my choices. And I've put my undecided "9-11. Pop/AB/RAH" in a tentative order.

1. The Unforgettable Fire: the perfect album, with stunning atmosphere, cohesion and flow, and not a bad track. A masterpiece.
2. The Joshua Tree: see UF.
3. Passengers: great experimentation and very artistic and creative. I love this album and it has some classic songs such as Slug, Your Blue Room, and One Minute Warning. Shame about Elvis Ate America, a steaming sack of crap; ever since I deleted it off iTunes, Passengers has sounded better and had more flow.
4. Boy: an excellent debut, very rocking and full of energy and enthusiasm.
5. War: like I said above, some brilliant songs and some overlooked gems, lots of fiery attitude and aggression here. U2 put their heart and soul into this one, for sure.
6. Zooropa: again, as I said above, artistic and creative, though not on the level of Passengers. Some amazing work here, and it's hard to believe it was made so quickly, in the midst of a tour.
7. October: grossly under-rated. There are some truly fantastic songs here, and despite the difficulties that surrounded the album, you can really feel U2's enthusiasm, personality, and desire to make honest music shine through.
8. HTDAAB: I used to rate this much higher but it has lacked staying power. It has some very good songs and some total clunkers. Inconsistency is its demise - and so is its dreadful "louder is better" mixing. Some of U2's other work isn't mixed so well either, but not as badly as "louder is better".
9. Pop: half of this album is great, amazingly great - songs such as Gone and Wake Up Dead Man could push this up to fourth. And then other parts just completely drop the ball, such as Discotheque (great live, but a bland album opener), IGWSHA (feels too incomplete, despite some great lyrics, the "Jesus never let me down [...] now it's hard to get in the door" verse), the say-no-more Miami, and the dead boring Playboy Mansion.
10. Achtung Baby: the definition of "over-rated". Clunkers here (Ultra Violet), clunkers there (One), clunkers everywhere (So Cruel [despite some good lyrics], TTTYAATW). Absolutely no cohesion or flow. Zoo Station is a good opener, though, and there are some amazing songs - UTEOTW, The Fly, Acrobat, and LIB.
11. Rattle And Hum: sure, it has two of my favourite songs, Heartland and God Part II, but such a disjointed album simply can't fare well on my rankings. Besides disrupting any flow and atmosphere the album may have had, some of the live selections are just incomprehensible. Why not great performances of WOWY or SBS instead of that bland Pride?
12. ATYCLB: this album stinks. WILATW is a great song, Kite and Grace are good, I have sentimental attachment to Walk On, but some of the other tracks are just dreadful, especially Stuck In A Moment and In A Little While. The Ground Beneath Her Feet should have been on every edition.

Here's what I do know:

Best - Joshua Tree
Tie for 2nd: ATYCLB and Achtung Baby

Worst by a freaking mile - Zooropa

1. Achtung Baby (the greatest album ever recorded)
2. The Joshua Tree
3. ATYCLB
4. HTDAAB
5. Boy
6. Rattle & Hum
7. War
8. Zooropa
9. Pop
10. October
11. The Unforgetable Fire (Grossly Over-rated)

East Bay Fan said:
11. The Unforgetable Fire (Grossly Over-rated)

You want to bother substantiating that, or is this just the counterpoint to my list?

I mean, let's see: ASOH, Pride, Wire, UF, Promenade, Bad, ISS. Great songs, every single one of them. And the three I didn't mention are great too, though their greatness less routinely acknowledged. And then there's the fact the album's atmosphere is always maintained and lends it a great sense of cohesion and flow in a manner U2 has never replicated (except on Passengers, which has a similarly good sense of flow and cohesion if you delete Elvis Ate America).

1. The Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. Zooropa
4. Pop
5. War
6. The Unforgettable Fire
7. Rattle and Hum (someday I'll make my own version of Rattle and Hum--this ranking is not considering R&H with the live tracks and other annoying stuff, just the studio songs)
8. ATYCLB and Boy
9. October and HTDAAB. I can't really rank them very well.

I'll preface this by saying I don't dislike any U2 record, just favor one over another.

1. Achtung Baby - 10/10

Standout tracks: The Fly, One, Mysterious Ways, Until the End of the World, Zoo Station.

2. The Joshua Tree - 10/10

Standout Tracks: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For Where the Streets Have No Name, With or Without You, Running to Stand Still

3. Pop - 8.5/10

Standout Tracks: Mofo, Gone, Last Night on Earth, Do You Feel Loved

4. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - 8/10

Standout Tracks: Love and Peace or Else, City of Blinding Lights, Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own, Original of the Species, Fast Cars

5. Zooropa - 8/10

Standout Tracks: Stay (Faraway, So Close!), Lemon, Zooropa, The First Time, The Wanderer

6. The Unforgettable Fire - 7.5/10

Standout Tracks: Bad, A Sort of Homecoming, Pride (In the Name of Love), Promenade

7. Boy - 7.5/10

Standout Tracks: I Will Follow, Out of Control, An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, The Electric Co.

8. War - 7/10

Standout Tracks: Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, Surrender, Drowning Man

9. Passengers - 6.5/10

Standout Tracks: Miss Sarajevo, Slug, Your Blue Room, United Colours, Always Forever Now

10. Rattle and Hum - 6/10

Standout Tracks: All I Want is You, Desire, Angel of Harlem, When Love Comes to Town, God Part II

11. October - 5.5/10

Standout Tracks: Gloria, Tomorrow, October

12. All That You Can't Leave Behind - 5/10

Standout Tracks: Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite

Last edited:
I love doing this, and I have a couple of thoughts that may put me on the list with Axver! :wink:

Album/(Number of Tracks I Think are "Worthy")

[Couldn't think of another word than worthy :huh:]

1. The Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
4. War
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Rattle and Hum
7. Boy
8. All That You Can't Leave Behind
9. Zooropa
10. Pop

In good conscience, without owning October or Passengers, I can't rate them.

If anyone needs explanations, I'll explain my choices.

I don't think I've done this in a while...

1. The Joshua Tree (Every note and every word is in my bloodstream).
2. Achtung Baby (A very close second).
3 War and The Unforgettable Fire (tie - I can't choose between them.)
4. Rattle and Hum (I don't care what the critics say. This album is full of underrated gems).
5. Zooropa
6. Pop
7. October
8. Boy (love the energy, but some of the lyrics are just cringe-worthy. I actually think October has better lyrics.)
9. All That You Can't Leave Behind and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (Tie - I won't elaborate - I think everyone here knows how I feel about these two albums).

1.Achtung Baby
2.Pop
3.Joshua Tree
4.Zooropa
5.ATYCLB
6.HTDAAB
7.Rattle and hum
8.War
9.Boy
10.UF
11.October

Back