young u2 fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rudybay said:
2002, that was the year i got all the albums, well except the passengers one, and the million dollar hotel st, i also got all the DVD´s, i just recently lost all the albums, i had them all in a CD carrier in my bookbag, and it was stolen :(

Oh, my heart goes out to you, that's traumatizing :sad:

im 14 and become a fan just before my 14th Birthday, After "some times you cant...." came out, the song drove me insane, i would hear it every where

i bought the single of it and my parents were very surprised. i had to do a project for school, i had to design a new cover for the last CD i bought (which was U2) and thats where my obbesion started

You heard it everywhere? Better radio around there...here it didn't gain any traction...despite going on to win Song of the Year.

I'm 17, been a fan during ATYCLB era. i loved elevation! hehe but i have already heard u2 song back in the early 90s on the radio, like one and wowy...

Varitek said:
What got me hooked on U2 was the War/Joshua Tree era. If you listened to me waxing nostalgic for 80s U2 you'd never guess I was born in the year they released JT. :shrug: Then again I don't listen to much new music, or new music by bands that aren't old, and I'm all for the sounds of the 80s-early 90s.

haha!! that is exactly the same as me, although I lean more towards the early 90's era. I feel like I've been a fan for all these years because I know everything about everything (well, almost) but I only got into them a year after ATYCLB. I actually hated that album but my friend (god bless him) burnt me the best of 80 - 90 and it hit me, BAM!! Every album up until ATYCLB hits me deep. Connects with my soul. Words can't even describe what their music does to me.

I'm only 20 btw.

I'm 16 and I've been loving u2 since live8...
I bougth immediately htdaab and I liked it so much, I loved vertigo's video...
It had been fantastic to discover u2's story and music.
now my favourite cds are achtung baby and joshua tree...
it's very strange but I knew all JT's songs...because my father used to play that songs with the guitar when i was 5...:)

i'm 18 and i've been a fan for 4 years now. the first song that introduced me to the band was elevation. when i heard it for the first time like :shocked: this song was actually the reason why i bought ATYCLB- my first u2 album i just loved it... well this followed after my heavy metal period :reject: now i can't stand that kind of music :sick: only later i found out that it's been played 400 times in a year:crack:
then i discovered their earlier stuff and was completely blown away. my fav era is '87-'93:drool:

I'm 17 and I've been a fan for two years now (can't believe it's already been two years :huh: ) I'm sure I heard some U2 songs before but I first heard Vertigo and thought it's pretty cool and then SYCMIOYO came out. I immediately loved the song and bought HTDAAB :)
Of course i started buying the other albums and when I listened to JT I was like :faint:
I wish I'd discovered U2 earlier...

phillyfan26 said:
I'm young. I've never seen them live (I still regret this). Started with The Joshua Tree, worked on from there. Self-taught U2 fan. No relatives like them.

I should explain myself in more detail, I was in a rush when I wrote that.

My parents weren't big music fans, both of them were casual in general, and they owned one U2 compilation, The Best of 1980-1990. I liked a couple songs on it (I think it was Pride first, then SBS, then NYD). At the time I was more of a Springsteen fan, but anyway, I decided in 2002 to ask for the other compilation for Christmas, 90-00, and got it, and liked it less than I did the other one (by this time, I liked the first three, Streets, I Will Follow, and WOWY - I only liked Beautiful Day and Electrical Storm from 90-00). For a while that was all I had. In mid-2004, a friend of my Dad's who is a crazy rock fan told me that he loved U2's album The Joshua Tree. I learned that Streets, WOWY, and Still Haven't Found from the compilation I owned were all on that album, so I decided to buy it. I loved the album. BTBS immediately struck me as odd considering I'd never heard Bono sing like that in the hits that I liked, but I loved its rock tone. RHMT was a beautiful song, One Tree Hill was great, and I enjoyed Exit.

My next album was HTDAAB, which came out later that year. I enjoyed Vertigo, LAPOE, and COBL immediately, and liked Miracle Drug, Sometimes, and OOTS (after the commercials for it) as well soon enough. I was impressed enough with the first two albums that I decided I wanted to get the next great two albums, Achtung Baby and The Unforgettable Fire. Achtung Baby impressed me a lot, and TUF was alright. For a while after that, they too were all I had. I got War as a Christmas gift last year and ATYCLB in January as a birthday gift. I bought Rattle and Hum and Boy in the spring this year, and Pop and Zooropa in the summer. I got the Vertigo: Chicago DVD for Xmas last year as well, Rattle and Hum with Pop and Zooropa in the summer, and ZooTV within the week it came out in September. (Yes, I am missing October still).

October may or may not be your cup of tea...but I'm a big fan even though it's obviously not their best.

I'm 18 and I'm a huge fan of everything U2 has done. Its good that Bomb brought a new generation on board, but the back catalouge is what more people should focus on.

Varitek said:
What got me hooked on U2 was the War/Joshua Tree era. If you listened to me waxing nostalgic for 80s U2 you'd never guess I was born in the year they released JT. :shrug: Then again I don't listen to much new music, or new music by bands that aren't old, and I'm all for the sounds of the 80s-early 90s.

<--- cries at the thought of the music of the late 80's and early 90's now being considered "old". :sad:

I'm 15 and I've liked them for a while, from listening to the CDs that my parents had (War and JT). I remember when I was about 10 I really loved "New Year's Day" and I used to think Bono was hot, but I never told anyone :p

Then in about November last year I really started getting into them again, I bought AB and I was instantly hooked :drool:
Then of course I found out they were coming and I got my tickets, then the obsession REALLY started to take hold! I was absolutely gutted when I heard about the postponment - WHICH WAS ON MY BIRTHDAY!! :sad:

However now about a year on, I'm still hugely obsessed, seeing them in 10 days!!!! and I worked out the other day that since last November I've spent about $1000 on U2 stuff alone this year :crack: All my walls and ceiling are covered in posters, mag covers, printed pics etc, there's hardly a space of wallpaper showing through!

Slopsy said:

Then in about November last year I really started getting into them again, I bought AB and I was instantly hooked :drool:
Then of course I found out they were coming and I got my tickets, then the obsession REALLY started to take hold! I was absolutely gutted when I heard about the postponment - WHICH WAS ON MY BIRTHDAY!! :sad:

Those shows were mere days before my birthday!

i realy become a fan when vertigo was released but looked for other music they made and come accross i will follow it is ace

it's really cool to hear about new fans coming after the BOMB, its a very strong record.

Still, if you think you're hooked, go buy JOSHUA TREE or ACTHTUNG BABY. those are their finest albums.

RademR said:
it's really cool to hear about new fans coming after the BOMB, its a very strong record.

Its funny but I got into all U2's other stuff after I brought bomb and came on this forum. Everyone on here was talking about all their other albums that I hadnt even heard of. I guess I'm one of those people who if heaps of people are talking about a certain cd of whatever I have to automatically go and buy it. Yeah so it was probably this forum that made me a diehard U2 fan.

Oh and I always thought I was a young U2 fan, I'm 21, but it seems there are alot younger around here

I was about 11 in my friend's car, and some really stupid song came on that my friend's sister liked. She was in High School and the song was "Numb". Me and my friend both laughed our asses off and we're actually making fun of her for liking it. I asked who the hell it was...and she answered U2.

Flashback to being real young and watching the U2 Red Rocks video of "Sunday Bloody Sunday". I remember laughing at that video too.

I was suddenly mystified. How the hell could this be the same band?

A couple weeks later, I was watching VH1, and there was a show that showed two videos for each band. On that program I saw "Lemon" and "With Or Without You".

The rest is history. I was blown away.

Versatility. That's what got me into U2. I immediately bought "Zooropa", followed quickly by "The Joshua Tree".

I know have them all.

Yeah, I would doubt that U2 gained too many fans from the Zooropa album. Not that I hate it, it's just definitely not their most approachable album.

jonnytakeawalk said:

Everyone on here was talking about all their other albums that I hadnt even heard of.

samething happened to me with POP.
i never really listened to it apart from Discotheque.

when i became a member here and reading other people's comments about it, (mostly from Chiz and Zoots), i decided to give it another shot.
now its one of my top 3 albums :drool:

I'm more of a lurker but this thread has been so cool to read, I wanted to pitch in too.

An artist I was huge fan of always talked about how The Joshua Tree inspired his music and his life... so I went and bought it when I was about 13 and it blew. me. away. I didn't really pursue anything more though, assured that it couldn't get much better than this. I bought Bomb the day it came out, and wasn't completely impressed, but intrigued. When I watched R&R HOF inductions it moved me.. stunned me.. the sheer mass of their success and impact. I read U2 At the End of the World that spring and became determined to make it to the Tampa show last November, but was unsuccessful as my parents have a thing against concerts. Since then have worked to constantly increase my collection... have all of the albums and DVD's, and am always in search of the rarities.

16 now. Next tour I WILL be traveling to see them.

Keep the stories coming! :D

waynetravis said:

samething happened to me with POP.
i never really listened to it apart from Discotheque.

when i became a member here and reading other people's comments about it, (mostly from Chiz and Zoots), i decided to give it another shot.
now its one of my top 3 albums :drool:

agreed... I loved Discothéque and Mofo and DYFL ofcourse but the rest I didn't find so special..... but I listened to it more and more.... and I love it really....
:hmm: Might be in my top 3 too, dunno if I have one :D

I became a fan after Vertigo came out.... according to my friend he gave me an illegal copy of HTDAAB because I was whining on how good vertigo was, but somehow I can't remember that and my thoughts is he gave it to me cuz his da downloaded it and I wanted to give it a listen..... I liked the record, and bought War, I fell in love with Like A Song... and bought a new album every month... but I waited with JT and AB cuz they were twice as much as the others! damn commerce!
Now I only miss one cd, wich is the best of 1980-90 Bsides :( unavailable in my country... so I guess that's a great excuse to go to Dublin :D

Hi! I'm 17, from Italy.
I love U2 since 2002., the first time I heard Electrical Storm :drool:

Last edited:
I am 16 and I have been U2 fan since I saw Vertigo video on VH1, I loved that song, that great guitar sound... and next month I watched on MTV their New York gig and since then U2 became my favourite band. I immediately bought HTDAAB and all their 80's stuff which I like at the most, especially War and UF albums.

But when I was 10 or 11 years old I listened to Pride on the radio and I abolutely hated it:shh:..... but that's history, Now I can't believe why i hadn't liked them in that time:tsk:

Best Thread ever

Great to see all the younglings's stories

:lol: Funny callin u younglings , I'm only 20 today , and started liking the lads with 15

Well, I'm 17, and started REALLY liking them 5 years ago, when I was about 12. I don't remember where, but I heard about them, downloaded some songs and was immediately hooked. Walk On the first song I heard, and it is still in my top five. The first CD I got was U27, the Target release, with best of 90-00 hot on it's heels, and my collection has expanded from there to include several books, most of the videos, and, my pride and joy, Joshua Tree and Under a Blood Red Sky LPs I got at a thrift shop for $10 each that are in excellent playing condition.

I remember worrying that my mother would hear Sunday Bloody Sunday and then not let me listen to U2. . . I was such a silly little 12-year-old. I've done so many school projects about U2, or tried to, at least. I'm a senior in high school, so I've even written a few of my college admissions essays about U2!

Even with its imperfections, POP is my favorite album, and it resonates with me much more than any other album, which is interesting, seeing as U2 recorded it in their late 30's . . . you'd probably expect someone my age to respond more to something like Boy or War . . .

I think finding this website/forum is what has kept me a fan, part of the reason I love U2 is that there's an amazing community attached.

I :heart: this thread . . .

Back
Top Bottom