You never see U2 on late night shows often...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
They performed on the Late Late Show back in 95 or 98 when Omaha bombing accurred. Then they were on Letterman and Leno after 9/11...

But on SNL they were on twice in so far, only from ATYCLB and HTDAAB... nothing pre Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby...

Why is this? I think it's kinda a turn on, because we love U2 media so much, we want them on these shows...

Probably because celebrities go on shows when they've got something to sell.

Look at your dates, they all co-oincide with the release of albums. (pop, atyclb and htdaab)

At the end of the day it's business.

For a while in the 80s and early 90s, U2 was proud of the fact that they hadn't had to resort to appearing on SNL or shows like that. In fact, in an interview in the 80s that has been widely bootlegged, Bono points out that Bruce Springsteen hasn't done those shows, so U2 ain't either.

But the end of the 90s saw a change in this, as a new demographic emerged demanding new ways for aging artists to stay relevant. Sting finally did a commercial, which revitalized "Desert Rose" and his Brand New Day album, and bands like U2 (and, incidentally, Bruce Springsteen) realized that the only way to reach a younger demographic was to do those types of shows. Hence the appearance on SNL. If you remember, while Bono and Larry appeared on David Letterman in 97 during PopMart, they didn't perform...

Sorry if I sound too much like Jick. ;)

nathan1977 said:

Sorry if I sound too much like Jick. ;)

No you don't, you need to write a college thesis on why "Pop was such a subpar effort" and then you can qualify as a Jickie:wink:

theu2fly said:
They performed on the Late Late Show back in 95 or 98 when Omaha bombing accurred. Then they were on Letterman and Leno after 9/11...

But on SNL they were on twice in so far, only from ATYCLB and HTDAAB... nothing pre Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby...

Why is this? I think it's kinda a turn on, because we love U2 media so much, we want them on these shows...

I've heard that Americans are very patriotic and some of their citizens can be obsessed with their own country over any other, but last time I read the news it was the "OMAGH" bombing in Northern Ireland, I don't remember it happening in Nebraska......

:wink:

nathan1977 said:
For a while in the 80s and early 90s, U2 was proud of the fact that they hadn't had to resort to appearing on SNL or shows like that.

*ahem* Yet U2 was more than happy to play on shows like MTV awards 3 times in the 90's, and Top of the pops with One and New Year's day.

Back
Top Bottom