You know you're a U2 fanatic when ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
I posted this as a bit of a joke on another messageboard and thought I'd share it with you lot. Seeing we're all U2 fans here, I think there's a good chance of most people actually understanding all of these!

You know you're a U2 fanatic when;

- You feel the perfect size for a lemon is somewhere between 35 and 40 feet.
- You seriously think Mister MacPhisto is a household name.
- Waking up and finding a fly on your radio is not a bad thing.
- You understood the last point.
- You see the word 'pride', you start singing "In the naaaaame of love ..."
- Looking for a particular street simply demands that you play Where The Streets Have No Name really loud.
- Zooropa is an all-purpose word to say at any moment.
- You don't have a TV, you have a ZooTV; you shop at Popmart; all fires are unforgettable; and every person named Joshua has a last name of Tree.
- War is a good thing.
- October is the greatest of the months.
- Your favourite sky colour is blood red.
- A baby shaking a rattle causes you to sing Bullet The Blue Sky or any song from a particular movie about U2 released in 1988.
- Mentioning that it's eleven o'clock is a dangerous thing to do around you.
- Reaching the edge of something makes you instinctively ask for a pen and paper so you can get an autograph.
- You know a non-U2 song not because of its original version but because U2 did a cover of it or Bono sung a snippet live.
- Someone mentions a location and you instantly say "U2 played there!" and know the exact date and setlist.
- Browsing U2 setlists, even ones you've already read, is a favourite hobby of yours.
- Love is blindness and she moves in mysterious ways.

I got one...

You know the U2 song just for 2 notes from a c.d. (i can do that :D)
Or get all the c.d.'s from bands that sound like or worship U2.

Those are some great jokes Axver.I hope you got some more.

...when you have u2log.com as the home page of your browser and you are not able to be near your pc without keep checking interference.com and other u2 sites...

I'm guilty of more than a couple of those... plus expecting the MLK documentary last night to play MLK during the closing credits.

- Everyone goes completely silent when a U2 song comes on the radio in the car.

- Get mad at your 14 yr old sister when she calls Bono "that guy with blue shades on Oprah"

- Even a mention of anything Irish gets you all excited.
and finally.... no i didn't watch 3 movies just 'cause of a song
:reject:

- all of your friends know that saying Bow-no is the eigth deadly sin

-you see a sign for the town's electric co and start singing. you get even more excited when you see that their registration number includes a U followed by a 2

-you burst into song when you see shadows and tall trees

Axver said:
- October is the greatest of the months.

Yeah! Course, I've got personal reasons as to why...;).

I can identify with a lot of these.

Let's see here, some more to add...

-You recommend a bunch of U2 songs to people when they are making CDs or tapes and are asking for song suggestions.
-You tape a small segment of a commercial on T.V. because it has Bono (or any other U2 member) in it.
-You find a way to make pretty much any conversation U2 related (my parents one time said that if they talked about how cold it was outside, I'd probably find a way to link that to U2 :p).
-You write a story for your creative writing class centered around U2.
-You dress up like The Fly, MacPhisto, or the Mirrorball Man for Halloween.
-You read "Ways To Tell You?re Obsessed With U2" lists and see how many of the things listed apply to you. ;).

Angela

Glad you guys enjoyed those and I liked the others that were posted, particularly the one about the Electric Co. .... seeing about two weeks ago, we had a long power cut here so I got out my discman and cranked up The Electric Co.!

Here's a few more of my own;

- You seriously think there are three sunrises.
- When on the train, you're always on the lookout for Zoo Station.
- When people tell you about the ocean, you don't think of the thing with salt water.
- You routinely forget bands/artists other than U2 performed at Live Aid.
- Bad is good.
- You think Bongoliese is a legitimate language.
- Seconds is not units of time, and you're convinced there are no grammatical errors in this sentence.
- You think every discotheque should have boom-cha!
- You like to stare at the sun.
- You feel loved.
- New Year's Day is not a date to you.
- Every night is the last night on earth, and you'll wait until the end of the world for it all to be gone, please.
- You created/are going to create a CD consisting entirely of various live performances of Out Of Control for your eighteenth birthday.
- You grew old with U2 or envy those who have.
- You think you should be allowed to count Rattle And Hum, Under A Blood Red Sky, or any other U2 footage as your favourite movie.
- You got a large hard drive just to store U2 tracks on. (why do you think I got this 120GB drive? 20 gigs just wasn't enough!)

Last edited:
Re: Re: You know you're a U2 fanatic when ...

Moonlit_Angel said:
-You recommend a bunch of U2 songs to people when they are making CDs or tapes and are asking for song suggestions.

Heh, when people ask me now, they add a disclaimer "... and no U2!" I recommend it anyway.

-You tape a small segment of a commercial on T.V. because it has Bono (or any other U2 member) in it.

I ... errm ... never do that ... *hides his pile of tapes*

-You find a way to make pretty much any conversation U2 related (my parents one time said that if they talked about how cold it was outside, I'd probably find a way to link that to U2 :p).

Haha, same thing happens to me, I've been told that it doesn't matter what people talk about, I can twist the conversation around to U2. I do it on a regular basis without even realising it ... and once while walking around school, my friend began pointing out random objects to see if I could relate them all to U2. I could.

Originally posted by sue4u2
You say "have a great weekend or evening" and they say, U2. and of course you smile.

There's another thing I do all the time ... most people say "same to you" now!

-You brag to your friends about how U2 had the biggest TV screen ever and traveled 5 legs around the world with it.

-You're favorite guitar is a Gibson Explorer (in natural, thank you very much)

-You're favorite numbers are "7" and "40"

-You've only heard one Lou Reed song :wink:

-You see those Lion King 1 1/2 billboards that say "You don't know the 1/2 of it!" and start singing

-You want to go to Dublin, but you have no good reasons too (besides the obvious)

-You're waiting for 2005!

You tell people that Fender guitars and basses are the best ones to buy.

People who know you have stopped asking what you are listening to.

Using Irish slang like, wank er, dodgy hairdos, or anything you may have heard U2 say, is acceptable.

Exit signs mean more than just a way out of a room.

You stop to listen to Bono's line in "do they know it's Christmas..."

You know/have seen some variation of my signature line.

Re: Re: Re: You know you're a U2 fanatic when ...

Yeah, the whole "You, too" thing definitely applies to me.

Axver said:
Heh, when people ask me now, they add a disclaimer "... and no U2!" I recommend it anyway.

LOL. :p.

Originally posted by Axver
I ... errm ... never do that ... *hides his pile of tapes*

:D.

Originally posted by Axver
Haha, same thing happens to me, I've been told that it doesn't matter what people talk about, I can twist the conversation around to U2. I do it on a regular basis without even realising it ... and once while walking around school, my friend began pointing out random objects to see if I could relate them all to U2. I could.

:laugh:. Scary, isn't it?

Originally posted by thrillme
Using Irish slang like, wank er, dodgy hairdos, or anything you may have heard U2 say, is acceptable.

Oh, god, yes. I use "arse" quite often now.

You stop to listen to Bono's line in "do they know it's Christmas..."

You know/have seen some variation of my signature line.

:yes:.

Also, bayernfc, heh, I intend to get both copies of Boy and Achtung Baby. I have the uncensored version of Boy (I was surprised to see it being sold in a not-overly-well known small store here in my town), and the censored version of Achtung Baby, now all I need to do is get the other ones. :).

Angela

Oh, god, yes. I use "arse" quite often now.

---------------------

And frequenting other U2 boards with Irish and British fans who also use these words, only adds to my vocabulary.

Axver said:

- You know a non-U2 song not because of its original version but because U2 did a cover of it or Bono sung a snippet live.

this is especially true in my case.:reject:

actually, I am guilty of all the behaviour mentioned in the last 2 pages:up:

-You point out that the store called "Factory 2-U" is really a U2 factory where you can get a lifesized version of the boys.

-You get giddy when you hear a U2 song on the radio even though you've heard the same song for years.

-People try not to mention U2 around you because they know that you won't stop talking about them for the next 4 hours.

-You buy every single item that U2 are selling at concerts even if you can't afford it or need it

-You use some kind of U2ey phrase more than 20 times a day, ie. "it's a musical journey"

LOL, thrillme. Yeah, that, and the fact that you all of a sudden have a thing for European accents on guys...:shifty:...

Numb1075 said:
You name your cat "clayton" - guilty as charged !

Hehe. How about: you name stuffed animals after the guys. I already have two stuffed dogs named Bono and Edge. :reject:.

Originally posted by Mullen-Girl
-You get giddy when you hear a U2 song on the radio even though you've heard the same song for years.

:yes:.

Some more...

-You watch VH1 often because they tend to be pro-U2.
-You actually tried to get the school librarian to let you take home the copy of a magazine that had a U2 related article in it.
-You find discussions on the possible ideas of what really happened to that dwarf guy at the end of the ?All I Want Is You? video fascinating.
-You celebrate St. Patrick?s Day by listening to U2 all day.
-People at school/work, as well as on online message boards that aren?t U2-related, are all fully aware that you are a U2 fan. And on those message boards that are not U2-related, your signature has something to do with U2, be it a quote or a song lyric or a picture.
-You've practically memorized all U2-related shows or movies 'cause you've watched them so often.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
-People at school/work, as well as on online message boards that aren?t U2-related, are all fully aware that you are a U2 fan. And on those message boards that are not U2-related, your signature has something to do with U2, be it a quote or a song lyric or a picture.

Oh my, that is SO TRUE for me. Proof? Just go see my signature - and avatar! - at http://www.christianforums.com/member.php?userid=12387 - oh and also see the additional information, notably my location! Did I go overboard? No, not according to me!

How about : you name stuffed animals after the guys. I already have two stuffed dogs named Bono and Edge.

I wanted to name my two birds Bono and Edge, but Mum wouldn't let me ... bah.

Exit signs mean more than just a way out of a room.

Oh, so true! I'll just walk by singing to myself "You know he got the cure, you know he went astray ..." Do you know how hard it is to stop yourself breaking out in air guitar? Hehe. We probably all do know, actually ...

In America, the picture of the boy on the cover was deemed ... er, I'm trying to remember what they said was wrong with it. I'm not sure. Something about it being a bit less than desirable because the boy appears to be naked or at least that such an inference could be made. So they replaced it with the stretched photos of the band members.

Last edited:
Principle (were they managed by Principle at the time? Whoever was their managing at the time, anyway) replaced it because they wanted to avoid anyone claiming they were paedophiles, I believe.

I love this thread! I can relate to so many...

-When someday says something U2-song-lyric-ish in regular conversation (like "In a little while") you immediately start singing.
-When you're placed into a group of four (for school, etc.) you start trying to relate the personalities of your group to the personalities of U2.
-When you won't leave anybody alone that you meet in the real world that likes U2 as well (in my case, my English teacher...I think she's gotten a bit tired of me putting U2 into my school papers!)
-When you DO put U2 into your schoolwork!

Here's some more:

- Aside from being quite envious of anyone who got to see ZooTV or JT tour, you tend to remember years by the albums or tours of that year... eg: That movie was made in '87 ... "Hey the year of Joshua Tree"

- You get frustrated when a so called fan doesn't know every single detail about the band or mention WOWY or BD as their favourite song.

- You know what the initials above meant.

- you know Sarajevo NOT 'cause of the war.

- when watching VH1 you "Accidentally" turn the volume up when there's a U2 special on so that your family hear the praises.

- Trying to convince your sister to do analyse a U2 song in her english class 'cause you didn't get to do so yourself.

- Starting a thread about a year ago about the "Dorkiest thing ever done 'cause of U2"

- Bluer kind of white is actually a colour .... and "What do you want?" is a dangerous phrase around you.

bayernfc said:
- Aside from being quite envious of anyone who got to see ZooTV or JT tour, you tend to remember years by the albums or tours of that year... eg: That movie was made in '87 ... "Hey the year of Joshua Tree"

I wasn't born in 1987 any more. I was born in the year of TJT.

- when watching VH1 you "Accidentally" turn the volume up when there's a U2 special on so that your family hear the praises.

My stepbrothers are right into heavier stuff, so I always crank up the riff of Bullet The Blue Sky live just to try to convert them into fans!

- Bluer kind of white is actually a colour .... and "What do you want?" is a dangerous phrase around you.

Of course bluer kind of white is actually a colour! Zooropa says so! And oh yes, "what do you want?" is so dangerous around me it's not funny. I like telling people that uncertainty is a guiding light, and I tell them to take their head out of the mud.

Beach balls suddenly cause you to collapse into fits of laughter.

You finally bought R&H (or other fave) video on DVD to replace the other *three*VHS's you've worn out!

You can remember Bono's birthday, but not your husband's!

Back
Top Bottom