You know you are a diehard U2 fan when.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm guilty of a lot of these.

Let's see here...

-You see the Christianity Today magazine with Bono on the cover at your school in the library, and you ask the librarian if you can have the magazine once they're done with it (the lady told me that they wait 5 years before giving away magazines, so I wound up printing off the article online. But I may be back in 5 years, just for a...um...visit...yeah...).
-Your English teacher asks you to bring in a poem you like...and you bring in lyrics to a U2 song
-When your teacher asks your American History class who the Secretary Treasurer is, you're the one to yell out Paul O'Neill (that happened back when he was still a part of the Bush adminstration-my teacher was like, "Wow, how'd you know that?", and I'm thinking, "Well...")
-You get more interested in the political goings-on in the world because of Bono
-You write a story for your creative writing class centered around U2
-You use a U2 song in a poetry presentation
-You've been known to watch various U2 things over and over and over and over...basically to the point that you have them MEMORIZED
-You tape a commercial because it has, like, 30 seconds of U2 in it
-You mark the birthdays of the guys in your planners, on calendars...

There's some more for ya.

And that Lego thingy is REALLY cool!

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

-When your teacher asks your American History class who the Secretary Treasurer is, you're the one to yell out Paul O'Neill (that happened back when he was still a part of the Bush adminstration-my teacher was like, "Wow, how'd you know that?", and I'm thinking, "Well...")

:lol: that actually happened to my little brother...

* when you are on this Forum at my age!?
* when you draw zoochilds on shower glass - there getting much better
* write poetry about Bonp - about 4 so far
* put up 2 large U2 posters (ATYCLB and Pop) in my office - Im a
teacher
* you try and turn your students into U2 fans
* wonder aroung a shop you are totally disinterested in so you can listen to a U2 song
* play U2 every day - even if it only one song
* and so and so on ..........................................

Pamela

:eeklaugh: Most of these apply to me... especially about getting all thrilled about hearing U2 songs on the radio...

Moonlit_Angel said:

LOL!

There's another way to tell you're a diehard U2 fan...:D.

Angela

yeah...you know you're a diea hard u2 fan when your little brother picks up on bits of information because of it :p

Hehe ^^^^. :D.

-You request "Mysterious Ways" for your prom (they played it at my Sadie Hawkins dance last year, so I put that song on a music request sheet in the office at school...here's hoping they play it that night!)
-Anytime you hear the original version or some other version of a song that U2 has also covered, you always yell, "U2's version is better!"
-You dress up like The Fly, Macphisto, or Mirrorball Man for Halloween
-You want to severely hurt Henry Rollins
-You just happened to pick a book of Irish poetry to read for a book report in an English class, and then one of the questions for the report asked "If you could have a central character from your book talk to a contemporary person, who would you pick and what would they talk about", and you pick one of the guys from the band to talk with the character about what happened in the book
-Dublin is considered the "holy land" to you, and your going to Dublin is your idea of making a pilgrimage
-When people ask you "If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?", your answer is Ireland
-On any message boards that aren't U2 related, your sig has something to do with U2 anyway, be it a quote or a lyric or a picture
-You call a radio station in your area every so often during the month of December up through to Christmas Day to request "Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home)"

Angela

-when you are out with your friends at a bar and all of the sudden U2 songs are being played over the jukebox and the whole table looks over at you and accuses you of hijacking the jukebox. :shifty: lol

-when you are out playing trivia with your friends at a bar and one of the questions is "name a song that begins with a day" and you blurt out "SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY" before they even finish the question.

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:
-You call a radio station in your area every so often during the month of December up through to Christmas Day to request "Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home)"

Angela

how about "Do they know it's christmas" just to hear Bono's voice outcompete the rest of the crew!!:sexywink:

i'm guilty of about 90% of these....

your roommate now hates u2, not because she ever listens to the music...(((headphones)))...but because 1.)the posters in teh room and 2.)you always talk about them

any "u2 catch phrase/word" makes you giggle

almost everything that comes out of people's mouths reminds you of a song and you start singing it...

you get a journal back from your english teacher and her comment is "well, you're just a wealth of u2 information"....and the journal had nothing to do with music in any way...it was about capitalism...:eek:

you buy things cause they have anything to do with a lemon

you know deep down in your heart that no band will ever have such a big influence on your life :)

JoshuaTreeU2 said:
1. Your friends regulary say, " I heard a U2 song on the radio today and I thought of you".

2. Whenever you watch the U2 Superbowl halftime show footage you get mad that the crowd inside and outside of the heart spend more time trying to get on TV than watching the band.

3. People look at you weird whenever you sing along with the studio albums because you add the adlib lyrics Bono uses for the live versions.

How about...people think you don't love any other bands besides U2!

Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
Your English teacher asks you to bring in a poem you like...and you bring in lyrics to a U2 song

Yeah, I once did something like this. Instead, it was for poetry class and the professor said we could bring in the words to our favorite song, so of course, I brought in U2. I used "One".
We had to re-write the words to our songs! As in, if we were to write it, how would we write it out? I remember thinking it was a bit blasphemous for me since no one could re-write "One" or write as well as Bono, so I didn't do the classwork!

Also for school assignments, if you run out of ideas for assignments, you look to U2 for inspiration. I mean, for my International Economics class, I wrote my term paper on - what else? - the debt crisis in Africa! Hmmm, who inspired that one? But I did it mainly because I had no other ideas for the paper.

Originally posted by Stories for Boys
you know deep down in your heart that no band will ever have such a big influence on your life

:yes:Very true. No other band can influence me, move me, inspire me, whatever, like U2. There's no other band out there like them, so how can anyone else come close?

Perle

Last edited:
this is scary! I am like all of these things! here are some more i thought of..that also appply to me!

-your all time favorite book is-the bible. No not that one-U2 at the end of the world :)
-when you go to U2 functions (Cleveland meet-up for example) and you recognize people, that you only know from seeing at other U2 related things. The core psychos man!! LOL
-when something creative come up-you use U2. A sad example from today-I was decorating easter eggs and i made 2 U2 logo ones and one to look like each member of the band, and one to look like a lemon..and then i took a picture! LOL
-you dye your hair black and say it's cause you like black hair but everyone knows it's cause bono has black hair
-you have more u2 shirts than other shirts (not quite there-but i am very sadly close)
-you check rockontv.com all the time to see if they are showing anything U2 so you can record it
-you parents who are not even fans of the band know more about the band then more then alot of fans

my god..I sound scary!! I am not really that scary though...i think.

When you get excited to meet some friends at an Irish bar that you know plays obsure-ish U2 songs
When you're at said bar and you get excited because they're playing the Rattle and Hum version of All Along the Watchtower and you sing along
When your friends don't bat an eye at all of the above

It was at this bar that I learned I could recognize a U2 song by the bassline alone.

filledeperle said:
Yeah, I once did something like this. Instead, it was for poetry class and the professor said we could bring in the words to our favorite song, so of course, I brought in U2. I used "One".
We had to re-write the words to our songs! As in, if we were to write it, how would we write it out? I remember thinking it was a bit blasphemous for me since no one could re-write "One" or write as well as Bono, so I didn't do the classwork!

LOL, oh, no!

I see what you're getting at, though...geez, I'd be lucky if I had, like, a quarter of Bono's songwriting talent (I have tried my hand at songwriting...dear god, I suck!).

So it'd be really hard to try and rewrite "One" and make it as great as the original, definitely.

Originally posted by filledeperle
Also for school assignments, if you run out of ideas for assignments, you look to U2 for inspiration. I mean, for my International Economics class, I wrote my term paper on - what else? - the debt crisis in Africa! Hmmm, who inspired that one? But I did it mainly because I had no other ideas for the paper.

:yes:.

Kinda like me doing a speech on the AIDS/debt/poverty crisis in Africa for a speech class last semester...and using clips from the "Diary" episode, as well as quotes from Bono, and information from the sites that deal with that stuff, in my speech (it was my favorite speech I gave that entire semester, needless to say).

Originally posted by filledeperle
:yes:Very true. No other band can influence me, move me, inspire me, whatever, like U2. There's no other band out there like them, so how can anyone else come close?

Perle

Exactly.

Originally posted by AdamsMango
-you check rockontv.com all the time to see if they are showing anything U2 so you can record it

*Raises hand* Oh, yeah...

A few more:

-When my family was coming back from a visit to my old town today, we passed by this town that's got a very big Irish population, and on the outer end of town, there was this one place-I think it was a bar-called Dublin's...well, needless to say, I got psyched about that...so basically anything that is named after someone from the band or their town or what have you, you get all happy about it
-You watch various movies that have U2 songs on the soundtrack just so you can hear that song in the movie (I did this with "City Of Angels", and then the other night I turned it to that "Lara Croft" movie just as it was ending so that I could hear "Elevation" in the credits)
-Even though you've already taped a show that dealt with U2 in some way, shape, or form, you still watch that show whenever it comes on T.V. despite the fact that you can see it anytime you want on your tape
-On St. Patrick's Day, whether a town you live in has a huge Irish population or not, you still drive through, or plan to drive through, and blast U2 songs all the way.

Angela

yuo're playing monopoly and get really excited when you land on the electric company and no one owns it, and you start singing "the electric co." :shifty:

not that i've done this recently or anything *coughYESTERDAYcough* :shifty:

- When you chase someone with a U2 t-shirt :shifty:

- When you start jumping and screaming when U2 comes on TV

- When people congratulate you because U2 have won another award.

- When people tell you they are sorry because U2 didn't win an award

- When you write on your friends' diary "10 months to Bono's birthday", "9 months to Bono's birthday", "8 months to Bono's birthday"... "MY MAN'S BIRTHDAY!!! WHOOO HOOOO!!! PAAAAAAAAAARTYYYYYY!!!! (...)" and draw loads of balloons, cakes and stuff :crack:

- When you try to prove you are not the only one who is a u2 fan in your town.

- When you download 700 MB videos because they are a half of a U2 concert and you have dial-up connection.

- When you start saving for the next U2 concert the day after of a concert in your country.

:shifty: TO BE CONTINUED... :shifty:

you check the calender to see whether u2 birthdays land on a friday/saturday and then plan to do a whole u2-only radio show....that's two hours of u2 songs, and only u2 songs...

it's going to be a lot of fun, i can't wait :hyper: (i have yet to do this, this is a plan though)

IWasBored said:
you check the calender to see whether u2 birthdays land on a friday/saturday and then plan to do a whole u2-only radio show....that's two hours of u2 songs, and only u2 songs...

it's going to be a lot of fun, i can't wait :hyper: (i have yet to do this, this is a plan though)
And the rumor around my house is that we'll have a high-speed connection by this time and I can listen to your show without blowing up my computer! :hyper:

Okay, add that to my list...Listening to all-U2 radio shows even though you own all the albums (I did it on St. Patrick's Day on a station that just barely came in... :shifty: )
-When your family gets all quiet when a U2 song comes on in the car (happened today with All I Want Is You, but my mom still thinks it's by Dave Matthews Band... :der: )

Schmeg said:

And the rumor around my house is that we'll have a high-speed connection by this time and I can listen to your show without blowing up my computer! :hyper:

:dance: :dance: :dance:

bayernfc said:

I guess it could be worst.....like my sister thinking Robbie William's cover of "One" is better than the original........
:mad:

:faint: NOOOOO!!!!!

wait, i can do better:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

IWasBored said:

:faint: NOOOOO!!!!!

wait, i can do better:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

exactly my thought when i heard her say that......followed by a lot of :mad: :censored: :madspit: .....and also a bunch of *she's just a kid leave her alone*........:D

Last edited:
IWasBored said:
yuo're playing monopoly and get really excited when you land on the electric company and no one owns it, and you start singing "the electric co." :shifty:

not that i've done this recently or anything *coughYESTERDAYcough* :shifty:

:lol:!

I never thought of that! That's a good one!

Originally posted by teehee
- When people tell you they are sorry because U2 didn't win an award

Haha, my parents did that when U2 lost at the Oscars. :D.

Angela

you know you're a die hard u2 fan when you look at the inside booklet to the new foos album and you think "hey! those pics look like anton corijn's photography!" and go check the credits and see that it IS his photography

At the library last night I grabbed a book from the shelf, just because of the title, "God shaped hole".

I always check out books that have Celtic looking covers.

Oh and teehee I once chased a guy with a Bono T-shirt that I had never seen, and made such a fuss that he took it off and gave it to me!

:crazy:

Back
Top Bottom