You know how it seems all U2 albums grow on you over time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t8thgr8

War Child
There are some U2 albums that have taken me awhile to warm up to. The main ones being early 80's, Zooropa, and mainly Passengers.

first the early albums.
I-tunes has really helped me get into these albums. They way it was before, cd choice was crucial because the only time id ever listen to MY music would be on my car stereo. So for the little while i'd be driving id naturally put on what i liked the most (achtung baby, pop, Bomb).

Listening to october on i-tunes on my desktop was kind of 'eye-opening' if you will. Since i rarely play it, it was fresh and new to me. Gloria, tomorrow, rejoice..... the songs on october hav so much energy. The one negative thing that sticks out about october is the general lack of lyrics. It seems as though where bono was missing lyrical content, hed made up for in scat singing and energy. I think that if u2 doesnt get that lyric book jacked, they would not be here. Bono was born on october. Through adversity, bono found his voice. bono discovered his true persona. October showed bono that being a lead singer in a band was about more than lyrics. you need charisma, passion, improvisation at times :wink: , and energy.

My other recent discovery has been passengers. Whether you want to or not, this is a true U2 album. This album is very thought out. It may be over those heads who dismiss this album as experimental crap. Its actually far from it.

The songs on this album are great, if you play it all the way through it's every bit an album as Achtung baby. The song structures are radically different and the instrumentation is different but the core of those songs are very U2. Slug, Blue Room, Sarajevo are great songs but there are more there. Different kind of blue is great, There are more but im not around a stereo at this time nor the cd case so a proper critique is kind of difficult. Im only going to say one thing, Listen to this album with a clear and open mind. (Rain outside would help too)

by the way, Pop is just as good if not better than Achtung baby. Soon, people will realize this when the usual 'ahead of their time' label wears off. Pop is absolutely great tracks 1-12. Pop is truly a masterpeice. Velvet Dress :drool: :drool: :drool:

The 2 albums that most grew on me over time are Boy and Zooropa. They're not necessarily my favorites, but they're now the 2 that I listen to the most often. Boy is a little rough-sounding for someone who got into them with Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, but once you give it a few good listens you realize how strong and consistent it is. Zooropa...well, there are only a few people who can honestly say they loved Lemon or The Wanderer on first listen, and I'm not one of them. They're both in my Top 25 on iTunes now, though. :drool:

Last edited:
Well, lemon is the reason i picked up zooropa. Its probably in my top three u2 songs. It takes me to another place.

Zooropa was an album i bought and hated. I didnt get it at all when i i first played it 4 or 5 years ago. Now it gets more play than 75 percnt of the catalog. If you take the time to reseaarch the meaning of the songs and lyrics, it makes zooropa a lot easier to swallow. Babyface is not what most of you probably think it is. Great song!!!

What im looking forward to in the future of U2 is that 2006 vertigo tour zooropaesque album, and passengers: original soundtracks2. there has to be a sequel, right? :wink:
it could go between this new album next year and the next proper album in 2009 or 10. And ill be holding my breath damn it.

t8thgr8 said:

by the way, Pop is just as good if not better than Achtung baby. Soon, people will realize this when the usual 'ahead of their time' label wears off. Pop is absolutely great tracks 1-12. Pop is truly a masterpeice.

I...I...I love you :sad:

October has grown on me a LOT recently. It's odd but Fire, a track which never used to stand out to me, is suddenly my favourite from the album. It's a fucking great song and Edge's little solo and the little musical explosion really makes the song. But October was an album I used to sorta overlook, now I'm coming to realize that it's really a great album and it helped the band grow just as much as War did!

Original Soundtracks 1...I have to say I disagree with your assesment that it is a U2 album because they did it under the name of "Passengers". This was partially because it was too "experimental" to market as a U2 album, but mostly because Brian Eno was a huge part of it. He was in the driver's seat more than anyone. However it did yield some great songs... Your Blue Room and Miss Sarajevo are classics. I really like Slug and One Minute Warning, oddly enough. The vocal part at the end especially. Passengers is a very atmospheric little piece, even more than The Unforgettable Fire. If you're in the right mood it can be amazing.

t8thgr8 said:

by the way, Pop is just as good if not better than Achtung baby. Soon, people will realize this when the usual 'ahead of their time' label wears off. Pop is absolutely great tracks 1-12. Pop is truly a masterpeice. Velvet Dress :drool: :drool: :drool:

How did I miss this??? Dude, all I can say is... AMEN, brother!!! You're the man! :up:

:wink:

It took me a loooong time to warm up to boy. I used to only listen to i will follow and twilight. But then one day my brother made me listen to the whole album and even then i only liked songs I will Follow-Out of Control, and the electric co. Not until i listened to it five or six times more did i have an appreciation for all the songs. I even like the ocean

ATYCLB would probably have to be... yeah definitely the album that took me the longest to like... to get over the shock and trauma I experienced when I listened to Stuck In A Moment for the first time. :yikes:

definitely POP. i bashed the album for nearly 7 years. now its in my top 5. POP is a sleeping giant and offers so many hidden treasures.

Lets see i think Boy, October, War, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and ATYCLB I love dorginally the rest needed time to grow on me.

When I first heard 'New Year's Day' back in 1983, I immediately went out and bought War. :applaud:
It's truly U2's first masterpiece ... absolutely brilliant album !! :bow:
Out of all the other albums ... the only one I still can't seem to have grow on me is
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb ... just sounds too different compared to what
I'm used to hearing from U2. The only songs I really like are 'A Man And A Woman'
and 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own'.

Sorry boys but WAR does NOT SUCK!!!
With songs like Drowning Man, Like A Song, New Years Day, 40 and Sunday Bloody Sunday you cannot say it "sucks" simply because IT DOESN'T SUCK!!! Got it??? Good.

Harry Vest said:
Sorry boys but WAR does NOT SUCK!!!
With songs like Drowning Man, Like A Song, New Years Day, 40 and Sunday Bloody Sunday you cannot say it "sucks" simply because IT DOESN'T SUCK!!! Got it??? Good.

People who diss War must be tone deaf. There is no other explaination.

The only problem with War is the poor production on it. And because of that, it's sometimes downright painful to listen to. If they remaster War, I'll run out and get it! :drool:

Zootlesque said:
The only problem with War is the poor production on it. And because of that, it's sometimes downright painful to listen to. If they remaster War, I'll run out and get it! :drool:

They need to remaster everything up through Zooropa, maybe even Pop.

The album that was hardest for me was Zooropa, believe it or not. I love it now. I go through phases though - I'll listen to one or two albums for a while, then I'll get the urge to hear something else that I haven't played in a while. When I do, it feels like I'm re-discovering how great it is. Each album has something that appeals to me at different times.

(look at me saying 'albums' - you can tell I'm not a teenager!)

kellyo said:
The album that was hardest for me was Zooropa, believe it or not. I love it now. I go through phases though - I'll listen to one or two albums for a while, then I'll get the urge to hear something else that I haven't played in a while. When I do, it feels like I'm re-discovering how great it is. Each album has something that appeals to me at different times.

(look at me saying 'albums' - you can tell I'm not a teenager!)

Hey, I know what you mean...I've been listening to Pop and HTDAAB lately, but I heard The song Unforgettable Fire the other day, and now I'm falling in love with that album all over again. It's been a long time since I really listened to that one all the way through..

Unforgettable Fire needs to be listened to all the way through!! I used to listen to it on a daily basis - on a freakin cassette tape in my early twenties!

Unforgettable Fire is ,along with Zooropa, the most underrated album on this board. These two albums have a consistent theme, and are complete works of art when viewed as a whole. They might not be strong track-by-track as JT or AB, but they as "albums" they are very special.

00Kevin said:
It took me a loooong time to warm up to boy. I used to only listen to i will follow and twilight. But then one day my brother made me listen to the whole album and even then i only liked songs I will Follow-Out of Control, and the electric co. Not until i listened to it five or six times more did i have an appreciation for all the songs. I even like the ocean

Yeah, same here! I used to only really like it up through Stories for Boys, and I didn't even really like An Cat Dubh much, thought it was too long :crazy: now I love that song :drool: and to think I didn't realize the greatness of the Electric Co. either! not 'til I finally got UABRS.

UF I think is one of the weaker U2 albums song-by-song, but in terms of its feel as an album, I'd say it's their strongest. The whole thing is like one giant song :drool:

Achtung Baby is the one that had to grow on me the most. I absolutely loathed it at the time. And it still hasn't grown on me completely. There are some kickass brilliant songs on it, some of my all time favs, but as a complete album....still no real resonance.

I also seem to be one of the few people still to not have heared the Passengers album. To me it still seems like Brian Eno feat. U2 instead of a real U2 CD.

TUF is really growing on me...I still don't think it's very strong when you look at individual songs (only 5 or 6 songs I really like), but as an album it's very nice. I kind of lose interest after Bad, but when I bother to listen all the way through, I'm glad I did. :yes:

Also, I listened to HTDAAB the other day for the first time in months and really, really liked it. I don't know if it's even because of the songs. It brought me back to this swim trip I was on when it first came out, and how I listened to it like 20 times over the course of the trip...don't you love how albums can take you back to certain places?

I am ashamed that it took me awhile for UF to grow on me (hey I was 15 when it came out and into harder stuff) but I ended up appreciating and loving it and now it's like my second or third favorite. WAIA also grew on me and became a favorite. It even took me awhile to love all of AB but I sure do now. HTDAAB was one I knew that needed to happen with so I went for a long ride and broke it in. It worked. Yes U2 are like a pair of new shoes that way!

Back
Top Bottom