You have to admit, 'Drops of Jupiter' is a good song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok someone PLEASE tell me Train beating U2 in awards was some kind of joke for the ppl to watch on tv. During the commercials they were like 'ok enjoy joking around... U2 come up here and get these awards' Come on ! Train has been played on the radio stations that will play any shite their bosses tell them so much that they're corperate rock now! How can they even be put in the same area of awards as our lads?? ok i'm done.
I STILL think U2 should have beaten that song... it sucks.

Originally posted by Salome:
it doesn't matter whether that song is overplayed it just sucks
and it even is bad at sucking
the only thing worse then those whiny vocals and the clich? sound are those horrible lyrics
it's just so freakin bad it makes Britney Spears' "Hit me baby one more time" look decent

I vehemently detest that song

Couldn't have said it better myself.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Oh Man.. Yah, I couldn't believe this one, Just the logic of it.. U2 with two songs.. and not one of them can win.. It's almost like it wasn't fair to begin with... Anyways, I'm not really a fan of Train at all.. nor am I of Drops of Jupiter, but I'd go so far to say it is a good Tune.. not song, not lyrical work, but a good Tune.. A nice melody.. nothing grating, but nothing genius... just nice...That's about all I've got on this one..

L.Unplugged

Originally posted by sv:
Besides the U2 songs, I think Yellow (Coldplay) is a far better song than Drops of Jupiter.

I actually think "Yellow" should've beaten "Elevation" for best rock song.

I liked "Yellow" better then "Elevation." I could see why Train won...

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

[This message has been edited by Flying FuManchu (edited 02-28-2002).]

Originally posted by Mulholland Drive:
I actually think "Yellow" should've beaten "Elevation" for best rock song.

I love Yellow. I also love Elevation. They are about the same lyrically because Bono wasn't a lyric genius on that.
wink.gif
And I can't say anything for Coldplay because I haven't had much of a chance to listen to the album yet -- own it, not had a chance to listen yet. Anyway, going on with what I was saying, I think both songs have great tunes but they are different categories. Elevation is a rock song and Yellow is more like an alternative ballad. (I know that isn't doing it justice, I just can't think of what to categorize it as.)

Edit: I hate grammar.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

[This message has been edited by elevatedmole (edited 02-28-2002).]

So I'm probably going to piss some people off with this, but....

I can't believe how many sore losers we have on this board. So Drops Of Jupiter isn't as good as U2's stuff. So they won. I would think U2 fans would be open-minded enough to actually respect other bands in competition with U2, rather than bash anyone who beats U2 to a grammy. Cause that's basically ALL I've seen on this board since yesterday evening. Bash O Brother for getting best album (even though the only people in the front few rows standing up cheering for that were U2), bash Train for winning...bash Alicia Keyes for winning lots of awards - it's shameful that some of you call yourself music fans if you're so intolerant of other people's music.

I'll say this about Drops of Jupiter - the lyrics might be uber-cheesy, but it's a catchy tune. Singable melody, catchy chorus, nice instrumentation. And Train are big fans of U2. They were joking before the Grammies that the only way they'd walk away with awards is if they got U2 drunk and sneaked off with some of their's.
wink.gif

I really think some people need to get a decent perspective and realize that U2 is not the center of the music universe. And anybody who's even heard of the grammies should realize that the voting system isn't all that great and plenty of people have walked away with grammies when more deserving people should've had them. The Grammies are not the ultimate judge of how good a group is. U2 showed grace in their loss for album of the year - I suppose it's too much to ask for the same from the fans?

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 02-28-2002).]

Originally posted by z edge:
That song sucks, no I mean it SUCKS. They played it twice an hour every hour of every day on the SUCK ass radio stations here in SUCK land. Everything about it SUCKS and it touches things and makes them suck I mean SUCK.

Hell Train knew it sucked when they were playing it, thats why their performance SUCKed so bad. They had the look on their face like they couldn't believe they were playing such crap lyrics in the same show that opened with that incredible walk on.

They should have named it 'Drops of PooP' and change the name of thier band to Lame.
wink.gif

yes, but tell us what you REALLY think about the song and band, z
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Diemen:
I can't believe how many sore losers we have on this board. So Drops Of Jupiter isn't as good as U2's stuff.
I hope it isn't even as good as all the other songs that were nominated
bash Train for winning...
I have no problems with train, that song is an insult to music though
but it's a catchy tune. Singable melody, catchy chorus, nice instrumentation
so is Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys and 'n synch's stuff
And Train are big fans of U2.
even if they were fans of me that song would still irk me badly

I hate that song

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

okay, that one was a bit too much
the rest still stands though

it's bad

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I expected this..u2 had 2 songs nominated...which divided their vote. Personally I think Yellow is 3 times the song that drops of jupiter is, but Train is American and Coldplay is British......and these are American awards...

Originally posted by popsadie:
I expected this..u2 had 2 songs nominated...which divided their vote. Personally I think Yellow is 3 times the song that drops of jupiter is, but Train is American and Coldplay is British......and these are American awards...

Um.. I know they are American awards and everything, but U2 is Irish. And they aren't shunned or shut out of the awards, are they?

Anyway, back to the thing I was originally going to comment on... on top of that, Coldplay isn't exactly well heard of. I mean, they are played on radio stations occasionally but their album hasn't done too well here, has it?

------------------

I happen to think the lyrics are cool. I love Pat Monahan's voice as well. How can you not enjoy these lyrics?

Drops of Jupiter

Now that she's back in the atmosphere
With drops of Jupiter in her hair, hey, hey
She acts like summer and walks like rain
Reminds me that there's time to change, hey, hey
Since the return from her stay on the moon
She listens like spring and she talks like June, hey, hey

Tell me did you sail across the sun
Did you make it to the Milky Way to see the lights all faded
And that heaven is overrated

Tell me, did you fall for a shooting star
One without a permanent scar
And did you miss me while you were looking at yourself out there

Now that she's back from that soul vacation
Tracing her way through the constellation, hey, hey
She checks out Mozart while she does tae-bo
Reminds me that there's time to grow, hey, hey

Now that she's back in the atmosphere
I'm afraid that she might think of me as plain ol' Jane
Told a story about a man who is too afraid to fly so he never did land

Tell me did the wind sweep you off your feet
Did you finally get the chance to dance along the light of day
And head back to the Milky Way
And tell me, did Venus blow your mind
Was it everything you wanted to find
And did you miss me while you were looking for yourself out there

Can you imagine no love, pride, deep-fried chicken
Your best friend always sticking up for you even when I know you're wrong
Can you imagine no first dance, freeze dried romance five-hour phone conversation
The best soy latte that you ever had . . . and me

Tell me did the wind sweep you off your feet
Did you finally get the chance to dance along the light of day
And head back toward the Milky Way

Repeat 1st Chorus

Originally posted by Danospano:
I happen to think the lyrics are cool. I love Pat Monahan's voice as well. How can you not enjoy these lyrics?

I'm not totally against the song -- the lyrics are sort of interesting and the tune of the song isn't too bad. It's more like the song is incredibly catchy and five months later (and 900 million times played later), I got sick of it. It is their style, I suppose -- whoever said the song fit well into the 90's was very correct. It is hard to think of putting a particular brand of style yet on the 90's but it really reminds me of the 1994-1995 type music that was released then. Catchy, a bit alternative, not exactly mainstream pop but not all too interesting either.

*reads above statements* lol.. I'm going to be flamed for this, probably. Oh well.
smile.gif

------------------

If not U2, Yellow should have won. Why? After listening to Drops of Jupiter 10 times, I can tire of it. But I can listen to Yellow 30 times and still love it. Lyrically, Yellow doesn't 'try too hard'.

foray

I love "Yellow" and "Drops of Jupiter"...I'm torn.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Besides the U2 songs, I think Yellow (Coldplay) is a far better song than Drops of Jupiter.

It's not good. It's not bad. It's just another one-hit wonder song like so many that came out of the 90's and make me wonder why they turn into such big hits. I know it's not the 90's any more, but that song would have fitted right in there.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

I can't believe how many sore losers we have on this board. So Drops Of Jupiter isn't as good as U2's stuff. So they won. I would think U2 fans would be open-minded enough to actually respect other bands in competition with U2, rather than bash anyone who beats U2 to a grammy. Cause that's basically ALL I've seen on this board since yesterday evening. Bash O Brother for getting best album (even though the only people in the front few rows standing up cheering for that were U2), bash Train for winning...bash Alicia Keyes for winning lots of awards - it's shameful that some of you call yourself music fans if you're so intolerant of other people's music.

I'll say this about Drops of Jupiter - the lyrics might be uber-cheesy, but it's a catchy tune. Singable melody, catchy chorus, nice instrumentation. And Train are big fans of U2. They were joking before the Grammies that the only way they'd walk away with awards is if they got U2 drunk and sneaked off with some of their's.
wink.gif

I really think some people need to get a decent perspective and realize that U2 is not the center of the music universe. And anybody who's even heard of the grammies should realize that the voting system isn't all that great and plenty of people have walked away with grammies when more deserving people should've had them. The Grammies are not the ultimate judge of how good a group is. U2 showed grace in their loss for album of the year - I suppose it's too much to ask for the same from the fans?

There are many here with a non-U2 like musical perspective.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

[This message has been edited by Flying FuManchu (edited 03-01-2002).]

Isn't coldplay Scottish?

"Drops of Jupiter" makes me think of California after reading the lyrics. The lyrics aren't that bad...

------------------

Originally posted by popsadie:
I but Train is American and Coldplay is British......and these are American awards...

and U2 are...?

I was going to post the worst lyrics i've heard in a long time but dano did it for me. Sorry matey but I think they are crap lol

"Can you imagine no love, pride, deep-fried chicken"
How romantic hehe

Its fabulous that U2 won 4 awards, I sure aint complaining!

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
and U2 are...?

That's what I said.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

------------------

wink.gif

I agree--too bad the fans aren't as gracious as U2.

Back
Top Bottom