Yet more reasons to love Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallycinnamon78

New Yorker
http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3181

This is old old news... but I read it today and fell in love with Bono all over again. Particularly as I've been there too, and in light of what's going on in my own family, understand precisely what Bono is banging on about. Just wanted to share my love of Bono with you all*

*excuse the mushiness: emotional trauma going on!

Last edited:
Oh brother.

I find it so annoying when when they make a celebrity's personal life public so fans can idolize him even more. This is personal stuff and people put it online just so we'll feel more sorry for him.

I feel sorry for Bono, but none of this talk is suprising considering HIS DAD DIED. He's no more human or any better than any of us, and I wish people would stop acting like Bono's feelings are so much more important and should be publicized.

Who $h*t in shart's Cheerios??? :eyebrow:

Wow, I agree with you somewhat Mr. shart, but a story's a story, and if some people cope by sharing a story then so be it. And if Miss sallycinnamon78 is moved by the story does that make it exploitive?

Bono is no more better than you or I, agreed, but he's just as human as the two of us and if he wants to share his story then he has an outlet too...unfortunately most of don't. I don't think we are deifying by reading and reacting to his story. We're just being human too. Like Bono.

I think part of what sallycinnamon78 likes is that Bono is very human and feels the same things everyone else does, even though he is very wealthy and famous. It's helpful to know other people feel the same way, and if that someone is a person you admire...well, that's all the better.

indra said:
I think part of what sallycinnamon78 likes is that Bono is very human and feels the same things everyone else does, even though he is very wealthy and famous. It's helpful to know other people feel the same way, and if that someone is a person you admire...well, that's all the better.

Thanks for that indra, and everyone... that's exactly what I meant.

shart, I don't think Bono is superhuman or anything like that - I'm not daft. I said in my post that I'm now going through the same thing as he did, and I can relate to it, as my own Dad died of the same disease. I found out yesterday that my younger sister has it too. I was touched by the way Bono articulated his feelings, it hit the nail right on the head for me. I'm not idolising him for being human - I'm just very touched by what he said. I thought my post made that obvious but maybe I wasn't expressing myself as clearly as I could have.

Therefore, I stand by my original post, thanks very much:|

I agree with you completely, though, about the celebrities being put on a pedestal thing - it's bloody irrtating. I remember when some model got mugged in London. It was all over the news for 2 days. Why is that newsworthy?! Worse things happen to millions of people every day!

Last edited:
I wasn'tt critisizing you Sally, and I'm sorry if it seemed that way. It's just that sometimes I get annoyed because I feel like a celebrity's feelings will be presented as so much more important as a normal person's, when in reality what they feel is no different than anyone.

shart1780 said:
It's just that sometimes I get annoyed because I feel like a celebrity's feelings will be presented as so much more important as a normal person's, when in reality what they feel is no different than anyone.

Maybe on Entertainment Tonight or Access Hollywood they go overboard with so much 'made up' shit. :down:
But Bono is putting this out here, himself. He has always said "know my lyrics and you know me" It helps him in some way to explain what his feelings are when he writes certain lyrics. Believe it or not there are people out there who don't know what he's talking about in his songs. (still some I'm trying to figure out) No one twisted his arm or spoke out of context. This is pure Bono. :heart: Love him or not, that's the way he is.
Is he more important than anyone else, nah and I don't think that is what he is trying to convey in this interview. He's just talking from his heart, the one he wears on his sleeve. :heart:
Loved this interview when I read it originally, thanks for bringing it back around sally.
OK that's all.:wink:

Last edited:
I'm not blaming Bono for anything. He's just telling how he feels. It's these articles that make a huge deal out of him that kinda gets me annoyed.

That's a nice interview, and I agree that it's only human to be touched by a story you relate to...I don't think any of us would be less moved if that story was by someone we didn't know; it's just that a story like that probably wouldn't be in the paper in the first place if it weren't on a celebrity! That's just the way it is...

However, Shart, I agree 100% with you on how the papers try to tell us how we should all weep over Bono's dead dad or whatever. This paragraph seems more than a little melodramatic:

"U2 star Bono is still haunted by the death of his beloved father and has picked up the phone to call him several times, forgetting he died two years ago from cancer.

In a moving interview, the millionaire frontman admitted that he's subconsciously taken on Bob Hewson's mannerisms and has started to walk and even cough like his dad."

I watched some interview with the band promoting the new album, and when they got to the obligatory "this album is about my dad" bit, the guy even said he knows most people in the world are suffering much more---that it just opened his heart in a way he wanted to share, ie thru the music. It's just the media force-feeding us sob stories, and telling us how we should care so much about celebrities woes. (And there are probably a few on this board who care a little too much about some Irish dude they've never met, I'll agree.)

Still, I can get a little teary-eyed during Kite at Slane...not because I knew Bono's dad or think death at 75 is particularly tragic, but simply because it's an emotion or circumstance I can relate to in my own life, except this person is showing it in front of 80,000 people. If that makes sense.:wink:

Sally ---> :hug: I've been there too when my grandma died. Many times I was about to say things like "Tell grandma..." or heading to the phone to call her. It's weird and sad. It must come even stronger when it's a dad. I'm very sorry for your sister! I hope things get better for her. :hug:

Thanks folks, for the kind comments. You've all been great. As I said, I do agree with the point you're making Shart... reading the article just helped me a bit and I thouight it might help other people in similar situations... I dunno. I don't think I'm very rational at the moment.:hug:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom