Yahweh & New Orleans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEVERLY56

Refugee
Take this city - a city should be shining on a hill.
Take this city if it be Your will.
What no man can own, no man can take
Take this heart and make it break.

Could have been written for this disaster.

I am kind of upset that U2 really haven't mentioned anything about this disaster considering they do so much for anywhere else and are always asking for the US for help.

Convoy said:
I am kind of upset that U2 really haven't mentioned anything about this disaster considering they do so much for anywhere else and are always asking for the US for help.

They will. Remember they are kind of on a break right now so to say anything they'd actually have to seek out the media themselves rather than media being around them to cover the tour. U2 cares. They may not have made a statement yet but they care. The sad part is that you watch the people suffering and many of them are saying things like how wrong it is and how humans aren't ment to live that way. Well being as sensitive as possible it's a wakeup call to many Americans and other well off countries as to how Millions upon millions of people live throughout the world on a day to ay basis. Dare I say the conditions in New Orleans are better off even. Sad I know. I mean absolutely no disrespect by saying that nore am I trying to be insensitive. It's a harsh, horrible thing that has happend but the conditions in the aftermath are common place around the world. People in general(myself included) need to help out on a more consistent basis. Not just when it's a news worth event.

Daniel Lanois owns a recording studio in New Orleans. I'm sure members of the band have spent time in the city. I would be surprised if they didn't talk/sing about it.

How could it have been written for the disaster when it was written before the disaster took place?

I think you're overestimating the power of U2.

Such is band fandom I suppose ;)

Convoy said:

:huh:

It's not as if U2's played a concert in the last few days. They haven't done anything remotely public at all!

Axver said:

:huh:

It's not as if U2's played a concert in the last few days. They haven't done anything remotely public at all!

I agree. I don't really understand how anyone is upset with the band. Hyper-sensitive.

LOL this is hilarious. How could the band have written the song about the disaster? Am I missing something? The song was probably written a year ago.

I think what she's saying is, "These words are so appropriate, it's remarkably as if they were written specifically for this disaster, even though, logically, it goes without saying that that's impossible, but I won't go into detail pointing that out since it would ruin the impact of my post and, besides, no one here is that pedantic and/or daft to think I meant U2 literally wrote it for a disaster that happened 1-2 years after this song was recorded."

shart1780 said:
LOL this is hilarious. How could the band have written the song about the disaster? Am I missing something? The song was probably written a year ago.

^another one... :wink:

hilarious = you

read my last post and thypoon's post

Convoy said:

That reminded me of what my daughter asked me last night. "So, what has Pontificus (her favorite name for Bono) had to say about the hurricane?"

Convoy said:

Oh, yeah, we all know U2 didn't do or say anything to honor the victims of 9/11 or play at a telethon for them. It's obvious they don't care about America at all. :rolleyes:

I'm sure they will do something as soon as they are back on tour.

i think the author of this thread meant that the song and some lyrics could be applied to what has happened in NO recently. You know, kind of like how so much of ATYCLB took on a whole new meaning after 9/11.

Why should I be upset that U2 have not made a statement about NOLA? My family being safe is a huge priority, not if Bono and co. is sympathetic. I am sure they are just as shocked as the rest of us.

I love this band dearly. So, I will take the hope from the songs, and send them to my family, with love.

Jess

Shade said:
Daniel Lanois owns a recording studio in New Orleans. I'm sure members of the band have spent time in the city. I would be surprised if they didn't talk/sing about it.

U2 performed at the Super Bowl halftime show in New Orleans.

Also, didn't they go there when they played on Robbie Robertson's first solo album that was produced by Daniel Lanois?

u2granny said:

That reminded me of what my daughter asked me last night. "So, what has Pontificus (her favorite name for Bono) had to say about the hurricane?"
That's brilliant! :lol: I'm going to use that name for Bono now, if it's OK with you!
:lmao:

Take this city
A city should be shining on a hill
Take this city
If it be your will
What no man can own
No man can take
Take this heart
Take this heart
Take this city's heart
and keep it . . . safe

U2 hasn't mentioned anything about this week's tragedy in Iraq, either.

Heartless bastards.

:rolleyes:

U2 hasn't mentioned anything about the lack of lemonade in my fridge.

Pricks! Don't they know this is a calamity of tragic proportions? :mad:

Axver said:
U2 hasn't mentioned anything about the lack of lemonade in my fridge.

Pricks! Don't they know this is a calamity of tragic proportions? :mad:
well, the time my hair got fried after an unfortunate bleaching accident (last time i'll go to someone who goes and drinks while the dye is processing), U2 totally dedicated one to me in concert.

Wow! I'm I to honestly believe that some of you actually thought the original post was implying that the song was really written for this specific tragedy? C'mon people get a clue! The original post was obvious enough. It was basically saying that the song Yaweh is so appropriate for the disaster in New Orleans. Unreal how some of you have misinterpreted this.

Faraway, so close
Up with the static and the radio.
With satellite television
You can go anywhere:
Miami, New Orleans
London, Belfast and Berlin.

Ive said this in another thread...but as an american I think Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, at leat parts of it could be dedicated to America right now. We are so strong, and we always try to reach out and help the rest of the world. But for the last 5 days and until everybody touched by the hurricane is back up on their feet this song really does apply. We need all Americans...and all of the world to help us.

PLEASE donate to the charity of your choice to aid the victims of hurricane Katrina

I dedicate this to the USA. Tough, strong...stubborn...in need.

Tough, you think you’ve got the stuff
You’re telling me and anyone
You’re hard enough
You don’t have to put up a fight
You don’t have to always be right
Let me take some of the punches
For you tonight

Listen to me now
I need to let you know
You don’t have to go it alone

Sometimes you can’t make it on your own
Sometimes you can’t make it