wtf??? now they changed lyrics in "Mysterious Ways"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A couple of points:

Wanderer, I totally agree with you that the new lyrics are pure and utter crap. However, I don't think it's a big deal at all. Let U2 do what they want with their own songs. It's their right, after all.

As for criticism of the band in general, that's totally cool. I just think that if someone continues to dislike every new thing the band does/puts out, eventually that person will lose interest anyway. Each to their own.

The bottom line is, as Bono once said (in 1982) - and I'm paraphrasing here - people will always expect a lot of things from U2, and people will never get what they expect. To me, that's fine, because that's part of the deal the band and their fans have. The band's music is elastic, and so is the relationship. I have to say, I like it that way.

Last edited:
The Wanderer said:
thanks Michael, after all, I believe it was Bono who said, "we don't want to surround ourselves with 'yes men'"

believe want you want
Of course they don't. And neither should they. What exactly are you saying? (I seriously don't know if you are thanking me sarcastically or if you are genuinly thanking me for the support?)

I really believe that many people (and yes, I'm guilty of it, too, but I try not be) take this band waaaay too seriously. If U2 wants to change some lyrics to a song that has already been put out years earlier which is simply being used for a generic compilations album - for whatever reasons they have - that should be totally fine. Who knows, maybe they changed the words as part of a U2 inside joke? Maybe it's about Edge's girlfriend? Who cares?

I totally agree with you that criticism is fine. Not only fine, but great. Differences of opinion are what feed message boards, and opinion is so important. If you want to categorize, there are many "YES" people as well as "NO" people. I don't think it's criticism that gets to most people, though. I think it's the constant negativity/positivity. I also think that a "NO" person will actually start to believe their own rhetoric if they keep looking for things to validate their outlook. Same with "YES" people. That's why I try for a balanced approach, but maybe that's just me?

In @TEOTW, it was Bono's father who said he surrounded himself with 'yes' men. Bono said his Dad thought that because he was the 'no' man';)

I'm fine with the new mixes, isn't it great to hear a new version of a song anyway? Besides, they're not new versions, they're new mixes. Big difference. If they were new versions, then most likely they'd put out new versions of Pop and Zooropa soon with those songs on it proudly proclaiming their ability to rewrite their own history. I don't think U2 have turned into assholes yet, so I doubt they'd do that.

What do I think about the lyric change in Mysterious Ways? I am curious as hell as to why they did it. I'm a bit fascinated with the reason I guess. I prefer the old lyric, but it's not that big a deal to me really. I own Achtung Baby anyway.

I'm buying the Best Of anyway, since everything I listed here isn't going to change my opinion of the album or make me not want to buy it either.

The Wanderer said:
I wasn't being sarcastic with you, Michael.

Obvioulsy, U2 can do whatever they please, just as I can say whatever I please about it.
Hey Wanderer, sorry if I came off as a bit defensive (probably because I was!). Thank-you for being straight up with me. I have a tough time sometimes interpreting messages on the net, and that's why I actually had to ask you. I'm sorry if it seemed I was jumping to conclusions. :angel:

As for the lyric change, like you David, I am also curious as to why. I'm not complaining about it; I'm just curious. Like I said, it doesn't matter - I just want to know!

Last edited:
david said:

What do I think about the lyric change in Mysterious Ways? I am curious as hell as to why they did it. I'm a bit fascinated with the reason I guess.

Yeah, I'm also wondering why they did this?
The song's not broken, so why "fix" it?
:hmm::scratch:

Michael Griffiths said:

I really don't think they are trying to "fix" it. I think there has to be some other reason for it.

yeah, but what?:eyebrow:
I guess its not really that big of a deal.:sexywink:

Last edited:
I see it this way.

U2's music, U2's perogative, end of story. If you dont like what they are doing, simple, dont buy it. This is for a Best Of after all !! Its not like the original versions of these songs will evaporate from your original CD's when this is released. So why is it such a big deal? Best Of's are generally for the non die hard fan. I agree with those that say U2 has made an effort with this one to appeal more to the diehards with 2 new songs and some re-working. I'am much more excited about this Best Of than I was the other one.

What is a disturbing trend on this board to me is not that people have valid criticism that encourages discussion. Thats fine, and in fact as mentioned before is what a message board should be about. But it seems to me that these type posts are more about venting or purposely trying to stir up trouble or get a reaction more than trying to encourage a good discussion. When it becomes purely venting, by mostly the same people, then you run into a U2 Universe situation. Those of you that have been around know what I'am talking about. That board imploded from that kind of crap and it became very ugly. It would be sad to see that happen to this board. Then what are our alternatives? Zootopia??? (shudder)

Last edited:
KhanadaRhodes said:

i didn't see a single thing wrong with the wanderer's original post.

I did. Describing the new best of release as a cluster fuck.

Here's a point y'all are missing:

U2 are artists and a creating their art

There is no right or wrong. You can like it or not like it, but where do you get the RIGHT to DISRESPECT it. If you are a true U2 fan, you do not disrespect them or their art. Leave that to the creed/brittney crowd.

Constructively criticize... maybe.... but some people around here are happy to throw a few opinionated punches at U2 and not many stand up and say "hey, that's not necessary".

"Miami totally sucks"
"Pop is shit"
"U2 have sold out to the mainstream"
"The best of is a cluster fuck"

... blah blah blah. I thought we were hear to share our love for this band and their music. Seems like some are hear to whine about what they don't like. Funny thing is, ppl like The Wanderer probably like 90% or more or what U2 do, but only feel like talking about the other 10%.

I've said it before.... the only thing I don't like about U2 is some of their fans, and how they seem to act like the band are here to serve THEM. Incorrect.

Tip Top Prince said:

U2 are artists and a creating their art

There is no right or wrong. You can like it or not like it, but where do you get the RIGHT to DISRESPECT it. If you are a true U2 fan, you do not disrespect them or their art. Leave that to the creed/brittney crowd.

Constructively criticize... maybe.... but some people around here are happy to throw a few opinionated punches at U2 and not many stand up and say "hey, that's not necessary".

Actually, as a people, we have a RIGHT to say whatever we want. It's how you say it that matters.

What is truly unnecessary is stating what you think a TRUE FAN amounts to. Obviously, many of us disagree with what defines a TRUE FAN, but that's our personal definition that each us of individually works with.

I would never judge someone's fandom. That's a very personal relationship. And as with any meaningful relationship, there is going to be things you do or do not like more than others. It's not about a RIGHT to do anything.

I don't like everything U2 puts out. But hey, you don't know me, and so just like you don't know the majority of posters here, you probably shouldn't judge our fandom and our loyalty to U2.

HelloAngel said:

Actually, as a people, we have a RIGHT to say whatever we want. It's how you say it that matters.

[snip]

I don't like everything U2 puts out. But hey, you don't know me, and so just like you don't know the majority of posters here, you probably shouldn't judge our fandom and our loyalty to U2.

I judge their "fandom" based on being disrespectful to the band and/or their music.

Things like "Fuck U2" are disrespectful, and therefore do not come from true fans. Simple. If you respect something/someone, you do not swear at it/them, or about it/them.

Tip Top Prince said:

I judge their "fandom" based on being disrespectful to the band and/or their music.

Things like "Fuck U2" are disrespectful, and therefore do not come from true fans. Simple. If you respect something/someone, you do not swear at it/them, or about it/them.

I dont agree that anyone here can judge what U2 fandom is. But I do agree that those that use cussing to get their point accross are being disrespectful. To the band and to members of this board. Not to mention that swearing shows an incredible lack of intelligence if that is the only one you can get your point accross.

Tip Top Prince said:
There is no right or wrong. You can like it or not like it, but where do you get the RIGHT to DISRESPECT it. If you are a true U2 fan, you do not disrespect them or their art.
here we go again. "if you are a true U2 fan..." THAT if anything is disrespectful. who are you (or any of us) to judge who is and isn't a "true" U2 fan? i would like to think all of us on here are true fans, as we take the time to post on this damn board.

i don't see how criticizing the band is disrespectful. you yourself said there's no right or wrong. wanderer's post wasn't an attack. in fact, stuff like this can help show bands what should and shouldn't go on albums. who knows, maybe they originally intended for the fly to go on there, and then they planned to take it off entirely because they didn't think it aged well. then, after perusing online forums, not even necessarily here, but even just zootopia, they saw the outcry of fans, saying how good of a song it was, and maybe they decided to put it on as a hidden track instead. of course, we'll never know the whole story, if it being listed at all was a mistake as it was intended all along to be hidden.

my point is, don't go around accusing people on here of not being a true fan. it's highly insulting, especially because you don't know anyone of us personally. for all you know, the wanderer may have been a fan since the very beginning, following the band around various small clubs in dublin and buying his limited numbered record of U2 three when it first came out. maybe he's some 14 year old who thinks beautiful day is the best song since baby one more time. profiles don't always have to be true. anyway, so yeah.

KhanadaRhodes said:

here we go again. "if you are a true U2 fan..." THAT if anything is disrespectful. who are you (or any of us) to judge who is and isn't a "true" U2 fan? i would like to think all of us on here are true fans, as we take the time to post on this damn board.

Hey, I know I'm on the JD, but which part don't you understand?

I'm talking about respecting THE BAND. I don't care if you urinate on me from a great height, but I do care if people disrespect U2, especially on a U2 BBS. I didn't say criticizing them was disrespectful, I said swearing at/about them was.

I find your implication that if enough people bitch about something U2 do, on a BBS, that they will change their minds, naive at best, and your support of people who post negatively about the band on the grounds that "people are entitled to their opinion" troubling.

Apparently, everyone is entitled to their opinion of the band, but not everyone is entitled to an opinion of the other people here. Curious.

I clearly stated in my original post what I was unhappy with, as far as being a "true U2 fan," I have bought most everything they have released since the late 80s ('cept for a few singles that I could not get), and I have spent loads of money on concert tickets and merchandise; U2 came out during the 90s and was extremely critical of the type of behaviour that lends to blind acceptance of anything and everything, so why should I not hold them to that same standard? This is not an accusation against anybody here, I trust that if you like something, you like something, end of story, I do not accuse you of not being a "true fan" whatever that means; just as the same is true that if I am not completely satisfied with something I can say so, and not be questioned on whether or not I am a "true fan"

I have come to the conclusion that not even Wanderer could possibly care that U2 changes 3 words of one of their songs

this would mean Wanderer's negativity re. U2 can only be regarded as trolling

so I'll start a petition to have him (+ anyone who disagrees with me) banned

haha, who's the sarcastic ass now?
if you mean what I know :sexywink:

Salome said:

so I'll start a petition to have him (+ anyone who disagrees with me) banned

*happily signs the petition

Oh...Wanderer... I didn't see you there.... uh, no, I'm not signing anything - not at all. What's that paper in my hand? Oh, uh, tissue... yeah... I have a cold and need it. And, uh, yes, I like very rough tissue paper.

:sexywink:

My view: I don't think the lyric change is one for the better, but it might be subtle enough to add a slightly different twist to the song - and that's always fun. :yes: Also, it's possible this was an alternate version of Bono's lyrics and U2 decided to treat fans to them. :wave:

As for swearing - I personally don't think it's necessary on any board much less in conversation. :eyebrow: Still, there are times when vulgarity emphasizes a point. Plus, swearing is great way to release frustration. :evil:

I did not sense Wanderer dissin' U2 in his words - he was just expressing his displeasure over a change. Plus, I know Wanderer has perhaps the most dry sense of humor known to humanity. Therefore, nothing he says is serious. :wink:

Last edited:
Tip Top Prince said:
I find your implication that if enough people bitch about something U2 do, on a BBS, that they will change their minds, naive at best, and your support of people who post negatively about the band on the grounds that "people are entitled to their opinion" troubling.
yep, i guess you are misunderstanding. it's been a proven fact in the past that musicians have listened to fans in the past. who's to say U2 hasn't done the same thing? whether it's chatting with fans after a concert or looking at online forums (and it's been proven that the band has come to this site, so how do we know that they haven't read the forums too? in fact, i'm pretty sure they have, at least pleba.) they get feedback from their fans. of course, i was being sarcastic about the whole hidden track thing. if anything, i think it was just an error on whoever posted the thing on their website about the fly, that it was intended to be a hidden track all along, as it was quickly taken off but is still appearing on several other sites' track listings.

so, i'm only supposed to support those who praise everything the band does? blind admiration of a band isn't a good thing. everyone has to have one song that they skip over, they think could've been done a little better, etc. no one thinks every song a band or artist has ever done is absolutely perfect and they wouldn't change it at all, or wish it hadn't been recorded. criticism is a fact of life, especially where art is concerned. how have music magazines like rolling stone been able to stay in business for so long? it certainly isn't because people expect to see every album rated "excellent" and see "this album is perfect!" as the header.

everyone's entitled to their own opinion of everything; music, art, food, even people, but that's not to say someone can't point out where they feel you're wrong about something. i don't remember me ever saying "tip top prince, you dumbass, let me tell you the reasons why you're stupid" or anything. i'm just trying to point out that criticism makes the world go round. although this forum has seen way too much criticism for my (and many others') liking, it's just a fact of life. unless elvis and sicy want to make negative posts against the rules, i don't see it changing any time soon.

A song is subject to different presentations. Just because an album version is sang one way doesn't mean a subsequent version should be done the same way. If they can and do change things live (like the different cariationsof the "lepers in your head" line in One), there is no reason why they can't do the same in the studio for rereleases. They are artists, not robots.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

i think many of you missed the point of the thread.
u2 change lyrics all the time in live shows, yeah sure, however with this whole remixing of Pop and now rewriting of lyrics, perhaps its giving off the impression that they weren't happy with the original and as i see it, thats u2 kinda dissing their own work. i suppose thats not their intent, but when they are showing maybe newer fans these versions of their "best" it doesnt really give the impression that the originals were actually the "best".

as far as this true fan rubbish goes, i for one think i know wanderer's love of u2 more than anyone here and i also converse with a lot of other people on this board and have been for a long time. you couldn't find a fan who loves, respects and admires u2 more than the wanderer. i have spent MANY hours in the past 2 and a bit years talking to him about nothing else other than how much we love, admire and cherish this band.
i have a lot of online friends here whom are big u2 fans, but to be honest, out of all of them, he's the one that i would want to share my thoughts on new u2 with more than anyone because i know just how much he appreciates the band, their talent and the music that they produce for us time and time again.

his anger is a true indication of a love of the band because he obviously was disappointed that u2 feel the need to change what didnt need to be changed- something that he as a fan obviously felt deeply about also.
those of you saying hes not a true u2 fan...funniest thing ive heard around here!

now ive said all that, i'll prolly get my arse kicked.

lol
maybe we can throw in deathbear and get a 2 for 1, just for you salomey

The Wanderer said:
this according to U2log:

She's the wave / She turns the tide /
She sees the man inside the child

has been changed to,

She's the wave / She turns the tide/
And no question, she knows why

crap crap crap :down:

songs that aren't from the 90s... revising old tunes... remixes instead of b-sides... altering lyrics... what a cluster fuck this is :angry:

DaveC is off his rocker! You're right. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't like what is happening. We need help. What are they doing?

What I find disturbing is that some of you actually believe U2 may read this board and decide to change what they are doing in the studio as a result of what is posted! WOW.

The day U2 does that, they turn into what Bono has called "A crap band". U2 are artists and their work needs to reflect what THEY are feeling and doing. Not the whims of a few fans. Do you think we would have Achtung Baby if U2 listened to what the fans want? I remember at the time people wanted sounds more like Joshua Tree. If they did JT part II I think it may have been the beginning of the end of U2. Thank God they do what they want and not what we think they should do.

The only time I can see where they might want some input from us is their setlist for playing live. Even then I think it should be primarily what they feel like they want to play and not us. But it is nice to throw the fans a bone every once in a while in that situation.

I do agree with most of you. No one can judge who a true fan is or what that even means. Lets drop that argument, there really isnt one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom