Wtf Happened At Zootv Washington?? (1992?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GibsonGirl said:
This thread is amazing.

I watched the bootleg, and I really don't see this "angry" Bono you speak of. He looks perfectly normal to me. The problem that occured at the beginning and throughout the song looks like it was just a simple communication error, nothing to do with the click tracks or anything. Zootomic was just about right on the money. This is the way I see it:

Adam fucks up the beginning (after the first four notes are played, he slides down to the wrong fret). Bono says "hold it there" and Larry nods, indicating to Adam that they should play that opening riff one more time to get it right (you can see him say "one more" a couple of times). Edge doesn't seem to know about this, though, and he comes in when they normally would. At that point, Larry and Adam have to make adjustments to ensure that they don't mess up the structure of the intro. Despite this, it looks like they all get even more confused. So Adam and Bono mosey on over to Edge to straighten everything out. Edge looks to Adam and asks "one more?" and gets his signals mixed up, yet again. As a result, he misses the chord change, thinking they were going to play that bit again, and has to quickly correct himself (hence the audio appearing "out of sync"). So now Edge is probably worried, thinking he's fucked up the song...and ultimately ends up hitting the wrong key, prompting the shake of the head from Bono. But Bono, in no shape or form, appears angry at The Edge. A little annoyed, maybe, but it was mostly Bono's fault in the first place for screwing up the band! And besides, it was probably more like the "razzing" that Zootomic mentioned. The next mistake that came wasn't Edge's fault either. Edge, Larry, and Bono were at the right part before the chorus, but Adam was playing the wrong bass line again - the chorus line. So then Edge must have thought he was wrong, and started playing the chorus riff. Which was, of course, completely off. So Bono gives the count in, and they go into the chorus. By then, everyone's way off and they know it. Edge even messes up again. But after that everything gets sorted out (unless you exclude Bono's excited mic-clapping that causes him to miss the first part of the last chorus).

So, to make a long story short, Bono and Adam were the ones that messed it up the most, and Edge just got confused with the two of them. Bono didn't look like he was going to have a hissy fit and explode at The Edge - he was just behaving like ANY musician does when he/she knows a song isn't going well.

Case closed!

:up: :up:

Whenever i watch the DVD then it just looks like the band are having alot of fun during New years day. Especially the beginning with Adam and Bono standing at the Edges keyboard. The Edge is smilling while Bono and Adam looks at him. And Adam is smiling so much so that it looks like he has nothing but teeth at the end of his neck. The song is a total blast. Sure they screw up a few times but it just adds to the fun.

I think i have an AVI file of that song somewhere on my harddrive. I will try to find it.

MattFromNYC said:
but whats his excuse for throwing a mic at larry during the same tour?

Just frustrated? Geez, all of us have moments where something bothers us and we react in a way we wouldn't react if we'd actually sat down and thought about what to do first. Let the man be human rather than trying to crucify him for every tiny little thing in his 45 years of life.

See, that's what happens when they don't play "New Year's Day" enough.

;)

Lesson learned, don't drop that song off the setlists! They dropped "New Year's Day" off the Vertigo tour, and there was a screw up when Adam was starting "With or Without You" because Bono wanted to do "Out of Control."

:lock: <----- :lmao:

yimou said:

:up: :up:

Whenever i watch the DVD then it just looks like the band are having alot of fun during New years day. Especially the beginning with Adam and Bono standing at the Edges keyboard. The Edge is smilling while Bono and Adam looks at him. And Adam is smiling so much so that it looks like he has nothing but teeth at the end of his neck. The song is a total blast. Sure they screw up a few times but it just adds to the fun.

I think i have an AVI file of that song somewhere on my harddrive. I will try to find it.

I really feel this is the best version ever of the song...the bassline before the I will be with you again is really cool and I wish they would have played it on the record like that...it sounds more rock 'n roll...just a light post on this tragic day

I wonder when bono threw the mic if larry had "two words" for him?

anyways I just watched it and zootomic is spot on with his (her)? accounts of the events. and bono never looks pissed.

and as far as the end of tryin to throw...bono says the girl's name "carol" and then says "there ya go".

JOFO said:
anyways I just watched it and zootomic is spot on with his (her)? accounts of the events. and bono never looks pissed.

and as far as the end of tryin to throw...bono says the girl's name "carol" and then says "there ya go".

"carol"? LOL i thought he said "Gooo!" like in a cute, silly longated way. and then "will ya go!"

are you sure about that though? unless i had a plain old audio bootleg from something else, i might be able to hear it better.
he had this really funny look on his face too when they show bono's face after he says that to her. not sure what it means though! LOL

JOFO said:

I have the boot of this concert (audio) and this is what he says.

Back
Top Bottom