Wtf Happened At Zootv Washington?? (1992?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rjhbonovox said:

He was having a laugh. You gotta remember this was the fun U2, full of irony and personality. He also looked like he may have had a drink or two. Have you ever seen the version of Tryin to throw your arms around the world they did which was shown in Phillips sponsored U2 Zoo TV special that was broadcast on ch4 in the UK in 1992. You watch how much the band are messing around, especially when Bono comes out and he is having a joke with Larry Mullen, and he has the bottle of Champagne behind his back. If you have never seen this then I recommend that you go to U2 torrents and download the Zoo TV special cos it is FANTASTIC, a must have for any serious U2 fan! The Zoo TV tour was, I think, probably the most fun they have ever had on tour, or thats the way it looked to me anyway.

Yes, I have seen the Zoo TV Special. I loved the part you refer to.
It cracked me up and looked like that was real, GENUINE crazy fun there. :)

I'm not really talking about the "trying to throw your arms" part, really... except for the one thing he said to the girl at the end...

I haven't seen or heard this particular ZooTV gig, but it sounds weird.

Does anyone consider the possibility that the band had done some kind of drug before the gig? Just a thought.

namkcuR said:

Does anyone consider the possibility that the band had done some kind of drug before the gig? Just a thought.
:rolleyes:

Actually edited to add :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MattFromNYC said:
on the bootleg for ZooTV washington.. i guess 1992... theres a part during New Years Day where everything seems to be fucked up starting with Edge's piano... then Bono and Adam come up to him and listening.. and thenbono gets up, shakes his head.. i guess ticked off.. and then edge seems pissed off and the piano is way off key... and then bono's vocals get all whacked off sync with the rest of the band.. and then he stops singing, and starts clapping to someone.. like a tech or something? what happened? their click tracks in the in ear monitor or something malfunction?

i must say, that was kinda funny, but wasnt sure what was going on.

anyone know?

no, not out of sync... i should have worded that differently. it seems from the very beginning they were having a technical problem. larry starts the drums and you can see him saying something to someone. then edges piano goes weird.. or something. then adam comes over... seems confused or something and bono looks like hes pissed off.. but.. goes over to the other end of the stage.. stops singing fo r a minute and starts yelling out "1, 2, 3, 4!!!" towards edge... (which i thought maybe was to help keep him on sync, like iof his ear monitor fucked up... to help him along? i dunno..) then we see bono later hanging onto this thing at the side of the stage, as it appears hes looking for someone, or a tech or something.. out into the crowd... kinda waiting. shakes his head kind of.. and walks back to edge. then kinda just stands there.... looking at edges guitar.. and then starts singing. then after the song, i hear bono yell "hey!!" and not sure to who or about what.. but i was under the assumption they were having a problem and the people behind the scenes were having a problem getting it fixed or bono trying to get their attention.
throughout the song, they all seemed off-pace, i should say.. kind of. from the very beginning. so i tjhought it was some in -ear monitor thing.

then during "i still havent found" you can see something weird going on there too.
I have this DVD and I didn't remember this incident, so I took it out and watched New Year's Day again and... I really have no idea what you are talking about. Bono never looks pissed at all at any point during the song. I do agree that the band's timing was off at the beginning and it looked like Larry was counting off to Adam, and then I think Adam came over to Edge to get Edge in time with he and Larry. Bono then came over and joined Adam in staring at Edge playing the keyboard. Adam started laughing and Bono was smiling. Hardly the sign of a pissed off band. Probably a bit distracted by his bandmates hovering over his keyboard, Edge then hits a sour note and Bono kind of shakes his head as he walks back to his microphone, but not like he's 'ticked off'. It was more in a 'razzing Edge' manner.

After singing the first verse Bono does shout out 1,2,3,4 but he does it to get the band back in time and after, you can see Edge look toward Bono and nod his head and he appears to say 'thanks'. Again, hardly the sign of a pissed off band. Their timing is okay the rest of the song.

When Bono is 'hanging onto this thing at the side of the stage', it is during Edge's mid-song piano/guitar solo and Bono is doing what he often does - wandering around the edge of the stage connecting with audience. The 'thing' he is hanging onto is just some rigging at the side of the stage and he is clearly looking out into the audience, not at any crew members back stage. And, oh yeah, he is smiling which is, again, hardly the sign of being pissed off.

As for the clapping, geez, haven't you ever seen Bono do that flamenco clapping thing during New Year's Day? He does it to get the audience going. When he was doing it here he was standing at center stage looking out into the audience so why would you think he was trying to get some tech's attention?

Overall, I'd say this was definitely not their best version of New Year's Day, but it also wasn't the melodramatic scene you're making it out to be. Their timing was messed up at the beginning and it took them about half the song to get it back on track. That's all.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:

And did you consider the possiblilty that the original poster is imagining things? Please see my previous post. I have this DVD and things did not happen as the original poster stated.

namkcuR said:

And why are you rolling your eyes?

Well let's see first the thread was started with very little merit to begin with by someone who tends to overexagerate and create wierd theories about U2 and then someone comes along who hasn't seen the show in question and asks if anyone's considered that the band is on drugs. It's fucking ridiculous.

And thank you to Zootomic for bringing some sanity to this thread.

Re: Re: Wtf Happened At Zootv Washington?? (1992?)

Zootomic said:

I have this DVD and I didn't remember this incident, so I took it out and watched New Year's Day again and... I really have no idea what you are talking about. Bono never looks pissed at all at any point during the song. I do agree that the band's timing was off at the beginning and it looked like Larry was counting off to Adam, and then I think Adam came over to Edge to get Edge in time with he and Larry. Bono then came over and joined Adam in staring at Edge playing the keyboard. Adam started laughing and Bono was smiling. Hardly the sign of a pissed off band. Probably a bit distracted by his bandmates hovering over his keyboard, Edge then hits a sour note and Bono kind of shakes his head as he walks back to his microphone, but not like he's 'ticked off'. It was more in a 'razzing Edge' manner.

After singing the first verse Bono does shout out 1,2,3,4 but he does it to get the band back in time and after, you can see Edge look toward Bono and nod his head and he appears to say 'thanks'. Again, hardly the sign of a pissed off band. Their timing is okay the rest of the song.

When Bono is 'hanging onto this thing at the side of the stage', it is during Edge's mid-song piano/guitar solo and Bono is doing what he often does - wandering around the edge of the stage connecting with audience. The 'thing' he is hanging onto is just some rigging at the side of the stage and he is clearly looking out into the audience, not at any crew members back stage. And, oh yeah, he is smiling which is, again, hardly the sign of being pissed off.

As for the clapping, geez, haven't you ever seen Bono do that flamenco clapping thing during New Year's Day? He does it to get the audience going. When he was doing it here he was standing at center stage looking out into the audience so why would you think he was trying to get some tech's attention?

Overall, I'd say this was definitely not their best version of New Year's Day, but it also wasn't the melodramatic scene you're making it out to be. Their timing was messed up at the beginning and it took them about half the song to get it back on track. That's all.

Thank you, I was begining to wonder whether I was really there or not. Now I've got to get that dvd.

Hmmm... someone send me this DVD and I'll determine what happened! :wink:

Re: Re: Re: Wtf Happened At Zootv Washington?? (1992?)

um, i think i know what flamenco dancing or clapping looks like.

who the fuck said the band was on drugs? i never said or insinuated anything like that!! i think someone somewhere mentioned he may have had too much to drink.. but thats nothing. ok, so what?

i do not have a habit of over-exaggerating shit. explain why bono got pissed at larry for missing a drumbeat and throws his mic at him. wtf is with that? he has a history of doing this stuff apparently. i thought this was just another one of those because the song was WILDLY off-sync and bono seemed annoyed as all fuck. sorry but he did.

the clapping he did midway.. was NOT really an audience thing.. he clearly seemed to be pissed off and kinda doing it as to not look at edge or whatever.

theres also a part where you can see adam and bono in the background as edge is playing another part.. and adam throws up his right arm from his bass at bono.. not sure why.. and bono walks away.

I NEVER EVER SAID ANYONE WAS DOING DRUGS.

I did however think.. oh maybe they were a little tipsy.. but that wouldnt necessarily stress them out. bono usually seems mellowed out when drunk. but i didnt think any of that... just that he was pissed.

during the songs following that.. bono seems weird about them all getting into sync even then. he even yells out to larry a few times "CYMBALS!!" or physically gesturing to let him know this or that.. in a very aggressive way.. then again, MAYBE IT WAS JUST HIS MOOD, AS IN OVERLY PASSIONATE AND CRAZY... and it not being mad at all..

about the drugs thing though. i doubt thats what was the case, but if it was.. i'd be very much relieved to think and know it was drugs rather than his real personality. he seemed mad. and n, im not starting shit. i simply asked on here because i was not sure if this had been previously discussed, or anyone who had attened this show or if they knew about what happened. thats all!!

Zootomic said:

And did you consider the possiblilty that the original poster is imagining things? Please see my previous post. I have this DVD and things did not happen as the original poster stated.

I have it too, and I agree with you.

namkcuR said:

i didnt really think of that.. but edge, larry, and adam seemed just fine... but subdued. edge seemed really upset about the whole new years day thing.. because ever since that.. he seemed a little distant and a sad long face.

adam, was just.. adam. larry just seemed too fucking serious and maybe upset about the NYD incident.. but we all know how larry is.

bono did seem happier in the song after NYD, which was 'trying to throw your arms'... and bringing the girl up on stage... but he still seemed "off".. but he did make some jokes.. and was very sweet and funny.. but the thing afterwards when trying to get her to go back, im not sure what happened there.

look. i am telling you. i am not new to U2 at all by any means and had attended some zoo tv shows back then (along with popmart, elevation, and 1 on this latest tour) and i can say it just was VERY DIFFERENT ALTOGETHER. bono just seemed really... whacko.
normally, i found this fun and exciting... he was crazy throughout the whole show, but its just that one thing that struck me as not very funny. simply because... i dont want to believe bono would be like that to his bandmate.

Zootomic said:

when they came over to edge on the keyboard... edge had already been fucking up the piano part. so, i assumed adam came over to help and bono too, to investigate what was up...

then bono walks off kinda weird and goes way to the edge of the stage.. and i thought he was trying to get someones attention. hes doing more than just getting the crowd involved. he was specificlaly looking AT and FOR someone or something and not just all over the audience.. he was looking straight. dead-set across there as to let someone know something. sorry, that was different.

Hey, here's a thought - maybe MattFromNYC is one of the people selling this DVD on Ebay and he's trying to increase interest by making people think there's some big, controversial incident during the show.

Zootomic said:
Overall, I'd say this was definitely not their best version of New Year's Day, but it also wasn't the melodramatic scene you're making it out to be. Their timing was messed up at the beginning and it took them about half the song to get it back on track. That's all. [/B]

Clearer heads prevail, thankfully.

Zootomic said:
Hey, here's a thought - maybe MattFromNYC is one of the people selling this DVD on Ebay and he's trying to increase interest by making people think there's some big, controversial incident during the show.

Bull fucking shit. I dont even go near Ebay. I dont even have an account with ebay. I always wanted this dvd, and someone just sent it to me (Sken, on here) because I did not have it. I never asked for it, he offered it to me. I have only had it for 2 days. wtf.

and i would never SELL a u2 item. i do not and would not ever want to make money off of something u2 did. that money should go to THEM. and i fucking dont even want to be accused or compared to anyone who does so. i rarely ever even trade shit either!!

:| Zootomic was being funny in light of your zealousness concerning this matter...

Really, maybe it is time to move on to the next conspiracy theory...

Miroslava said:
:| Zootomic was being funny in light of your zealousness concerning this matter...

Its hard to tell joking from seriousness on the net... and I never know! I normally joke back or find it amusing when someone does that.. but I'm a very un-Matt mood today. :huh:

This wasnt a conpsiracy theory thing. I simply started out asking if anyone knew the deal or were there or if it was a tech problem. Thats hardy a conspiracy. How many other questions come up just like this on here?

This thread is amazing.

I watched the bootleg, and I really don't see this "angry" Bono you speak of. He looks perfectly normal to me. The problem that occured at the beginning and throughout the song looks like it was just a simple communication error, nothing to do with the click tracks or anything. Zootomic was just about right on the money. This is the way I see it:

Adam fucks up the beginning (after the first four notes are played, he slides down to the wrong fret). Bono says "hold it there" and Larry nods, indicating to Adam that they should play that opening riff one more time to get it right (you can see him say "one more" a couple of times). Edge doesn't seem to know about this, though, and he comes in when they normally would. At that point, Larry and Adam have to make adjustments to ensure that they don't mess up the structure of the intro. Despite this, it looks like they all get even more confused. So Adam and Bono mosey on over to Edge to straighten everything out. Edge looks to Adam and asks "one more?" and gets his signals mixed up, yet again. As a result, he misses the chord change, thinking they were going to play that bit again, and has to quickly correct himself (hence the audio appearing "out of sync"). So now Edge is probably worried, thinking he's fucked up the song...and ultimately ends up hitting the wrong key, prompting the shake of the head from Bono. But Bono, in no shape or form, appears angry at The Edge. A little annoyed, maybe, but it was mostly Bono's fault in the first place for screwing up the band! And besides, it was probably more like the "razzing" that Zootomic mentioned. The next mistake that came wasn't Edge's fault either. Edge, Larry, and Bono were at the right part before the chorus, but Adam was playing the wrong bass line again - the chorus line. So then Edge must have thought he was wrong, and started playing the chorus riff. Which was, of course, completely off. So Bono gives the count in, and they go into the chorus. By then, everyone's way off and they know it. Edge even messes up again. But after that everything gets sorted out (unless you exclude Bono's excited mic-clapping that causes him to miss the first part of the last chorus).

So, to make a long story short, Bono and Adam were the ones that messed it up the most, and Edge just got confused with the two of them. Bono didn't look like he was going to have a hissy fit and explode at The Edge - he was just behaving like ANY musician does when he/she knows a song isn't going well.

Case closed!

Last edited:
one of the best ZOO shows and my favorite u2 DVD. Perfect concert, the band having a good time and a great performance.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I dare you.

lockd.gif
bonod.gif
lockd.gif

GibsonGirl said:
This thread is amazing.

I watched the bootleg, and I really don't see this "angry" Bono you speak of. He looks perfectly normal to me. The problem that occured at the beginning and throughout the song looks like it was just a simple communication error, nothing to do with the click tracks or anything. Zootomic was just about right on the money. This is the way I see it:

Adam fucks up the beginning (after the first four notes are played, he slides down to the wrong fret). Bono says "hold it there" and Larry nods, indicating to Adam that they should play that opening riff one more time to get it right (you can see him say "one more" a couple of times). Edge doesn't seem to know about this, though, and he comes in when they normally would. At that point, Larry and Adam have to make adjustments to ensure that they don't mess up the structure of the intro. Despite this, it looks like they all get even more confused. So Adam and Bono mosey on over to Edge to straighten everything out. Edge looks to Adam and asks "one more?" and gets his signals mixed up, yet again. As a result, he misses the chord change, thinking they were going to play that bit again, and has to quickly correct himself (hence the audio appearing "out of sync"). So now Edge is probably worried, thinking he's fucked up the song...and ultimately ends up hitting the wrong key, prompting the shake of the head from Bono. But Bono, in no shape or form, appears angry at The Edge. A little annoyed, maybe, but it was mostly Bono's fault in the first place for screwing up the band! And besides, it was probably more like the "razzing" that Zootomic mentioned. The next mistake that came wasn't Edge's fault either. Edge, Larry, and Bono were at the right part before the chorus, but Adam was playing the wrong bass line again - the chorus line. So then Edge must have thought he was wrong, and started playing the chorus riff. Which was, of course, completely off. So Bono gives the count in, and they go into the chorus. By then, everyone's way off and they know it. Edge even messes up again. But after that everything gets sorted out (unless you exclude Bono's excited mic-clapping that causes him to miss the first part of the last chorus).

So, to make a long story short, Bono and Adam were the ones that messed it up the most, and Edge just got confused with the two of them. Bono didn't look like he was going to have a hissy fit and explode at The Edge - he was just behaving like ANY musician does when he/she knows a song isn't going well.

Case closed!

ok, this makes sense. lol.

i thought bono was getting pissed at edge for it. so he was just frustrated about the situation on a whole?

but i had a lot of trouble following what the heck happened. i mean, the song sounded just fine from the beginning, but i didnt even notice anything wrong until edge started playing with his fingers going off the keys and shit. lol.

thats why i thought bono got pissed. because of how edge was playing on the keys.

but whats his excuse for throwing a mic at larry during the same tour?

maybe they had a fuss or something before that. i probably would do the same with larry's assytude sometimes. lol but thats dangerous.

Fake disgust? Assuming an ironic rock star diva attitude toward Larry? I don't know, and neither do you. It was just somebody in this thread saying how funny the audio was with the thwumph from the microphone. No one has seen the video, so let's not get worked up.

this is the first thread I read that the original poster has more post than everyone else :|

That Bono-Lock cracks me up :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom