WOWY Argentina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
Does anyone else think this is an excellent preformance of WOWY. Reayl love it the song realy was preformed better vocaly on the 4th and 5th legs of the Vertigo tour. I love the way Bono sings the second with or without yoooooooooou (after the oooohh oooohh part) at 3:39 realy beautiful.

They should have used this preformance for U23D

here is the link
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PQKsnBkBoUY&feature=related

Last edited:
Jdelbove said:
Does anyone else think this is an excellent preformance of WOWY. Reayl love it the song realy was preformed better vocaly on the 4th and 5th legs of the Vertigo tour. I love the way Bono sings the second with or without yoooooooooou (after the oooohh oooohh part) at 3:39 realy beautiful.

They should have used this preformance for U23D

here is the link
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PQKsnBkBoUY&feature=related

WOW - what a great call.

The only great performance of this song since Joshua Tree days.

Thanks!

hate to be a kill joy but i think it sounded terrible...pretty much the whole tour with a few exceptions...his voice was cracking and raspy, he was singing off key on some parts for some reason, and that attempt at the falsetto outro was horrible :sad:

this coming from a huge fan :(

Z00rop@83 said:
hate to be a kill joy but i think it sounded terrible...pretty much the whole tour with a few exceptions...his voice was cracking and raspy, he was singing off key on some parts for some reason, and that attempt at the falsetto outro was horrible :sad:

this coming from a huge fan :(

OK - the outro was horrible. I give you that.

This *was* an inspired version though relative to any version since JT days...

He was trying new things...holding some notes for an extended time (and it worked!)...did not sound like he was croaking at short blips the whole time like usual...

Yes he was raspy but he always is near the end of concerts these days. Plus there was only one or two off notes...

I guess I am just seeing the positive (which is substantial relative to most live versions of WOWY these days) and you are pointing out the negative (which is easy to do with this song live other than the famous R&H version which is inarguably the best live version ever.)

This is a shit version.

WOWY has suffered ever since MacPhisto started singing it. Ever since then he started the talk-sing thing through the verses...

But I have to say, I was suprised by the 3D version since I had almost dismissed this song...

actually, this performance is quite good IMO...thanks!

I think I've seen this before, but forgot about it...the outro falsetto part was a little weak, but it was still there...the rest of the song was incredible...especially at 3:05 mark, wow!

not as good as the 5th leg versions, although those are among the great WOWY performances...

with how good bono's voice is these days I wouldn't be surprised if they brought this song back next tour and it became one of the highlights of the tour, really...

Last edited:
u guys are judging this preformance from based on past ones. Its actully pretty good vocaly i think yea he sings it a little different but he actully uses his big vocal strenth where it belongs in the song similar to the way it was originaly sung wich he realy hasnt done in like 10 years.

and yea part of the reason he sounds off or a little strange is the audio there is somthing wrong with it even though the video is perfect but look past that because u can see the power he uses on the song.

yea and the 5th leg preformances of the song especialy the japan gigs were some of the best WOWY preformances ever. the song is comming back

I agree it kinda went downhill McPhisto era, however the Elevation tour version/s I saw in Earl's Court in 2001 were pretty spectacular - just like the JT performance. Then again it was a pretty extraordinary week... poor Bono was giving it everything he had (it was the week he lost his Father).

i am getting defensive I think its a 8 out 10

what do u guys prefer the Milan version where Bono doenst even sing any of the song in full voice pretty much and when he does it soungs like he has been eating glass

I would have preferred if they hadn't included it at all...

There were several other songs performed in South America and even Australia (can you imagine the Australian version of Kite in 3D? :drool: ) that would have been much better imo, "fan favorites" be damned...

This is a pretty choppy version. Looks like he's tired.

I'd take the 3d version.

Wish they would have added Elevation though.

Hmm, this version did have kinda a rocky start, but after that I thought it was incredible! At the end of shows, it's completely understandable that Bono's voice would be getting tired (you try doing what he does on a nightly basis, and see how your voice feels). That's not a recent phenomenon - you can always tell it's getting rougher by the end, and B has mentioned his voice got sore after shows even in the really early days. Maybe it's just harder to disguise it after so many years.

Still, I thought this performance was beautiful...

And by the way, what ever happened to the "we'll shine like stars" bit?

No Argentina or 3D, this song now unfortunately only is a shadow of its former self. A crowd pleaser, an encore closer, a mass howling party anthem with everybody being so happy or pretending to be.
But that's not, what this tune was and is about: Maybe the best bitter sweet, sinister ballad, U2 ever wrote – a tune musically building up and down, living from intensity of musical subtle, shimmering sounds & effects and a frontman delivering lyrics, that are simply breathtakingly beautiful, but so full of pain and desperation in the same time.

When U2 performed this tune during TJT tour, the song had its peak (take Paris '87 as one of the best examples, next to the en par Croker version from the same year). Bono was rocking, stretching the tune, playing aditional (acoustic) guitar sounds. Do you really want to compare this once 'outing on stage' with today's routine?

In ZOO TV the band re-invented the during LoveTown not always performed hit single. The most important part was to give the "Shine Like Stars" part a new musical home, with The Edge playing also a stellar solo very apropriate to the emotional coda.

With the POP era the tune transformed from the bitter sweet classic to the crowd pleaser, it is today. Forever buried in the encores now, Bono tried to sing the melody anew, other rythm elements were tried and forgotten – but all of the attempts didn't do any good; in the end they damaged the song, that now had its highlight in the big fans' choirs around the globe. Another tune, that lost its meaning to the mass phenomenon.

During ELEVATION the tune was cut shorter – long gone were the jams with two guitars and the band playing lose to a sea of lighters. Played nearly every night in the same perfuncory way, this trend obviously would have stopped. Why? Because finally U2 decided to throw this oldie, that was obviously not challenging any more for them, out of the setlists.

And you know what? During ELEVATION 3rd leg and VERTIGO 1st leg a lot of people saw the band – and the gigs were great, even greater without WOWY. For me definitely also, because they finally made the cut. So how disappointing, when I witnessed the return of the lacklustre, let's-dance-with-a-girl-pleaser in Europe. Runour goes, it was the decision of the management ...
And how shocked I was to hear at least one great version: On the last VERTIGO leg Melbourne's 1st night was nearly a return to old glory. Intense singing, subtle playing – and the snippets for Michael & especially Ian, I have missed so much. WOWY became a gem, at least for one night.

But that's not enough, folks - Bono, pick up your guitar again, take inspiration from your '87 performances – or let this tune R.I.P.

ZOOTVTOURist said:
And how shocked I was to hear at least one great version: On the last VERTIGO leg Melbourne's 1st night was nearly a return to old glory. Intense singing, subtle playing – and the snippets for Michael & especially Ian, I have missed so much. WOWY became a gem, at least for one night.

[/B]

Anyone have audio of this version?

this song is on the upswing...next tour, it will be INCREDIBLE

i'm listening to 11-30-2006 Saitama Japan now, WOWY, that one is pretty damn good, I suggest you guys listen to that one too..it has shine like stars in it too..really powerful...Bono really captures the desperation in the song with his singing...LISTEN TO IT!

WOW THIS SHOW IS GREAT, DESIRE IS ROCKING!

Last edited:
wowy would be so much better if they stopped pulling the girls on stage imo. just sing again like it was during JT, keep the song as it was back then.

thankyou said:
wowy would be so much better if they stopped pulling the girls on stage imo.
... my words. This kind of medidative tune needs concentration – and Bono's guitar ...

Last edited:
yeah, the girls aren't needed that's obvious.

as for the song itself, i'm a sucker for it, even if bono's voice is nowhere near as good as it once once. still a great, great tune. especially with the extra verse.

I do think the girls mess it up too. Bono needs to concentrate on the mood of the song and concentrate on singing it and those girls divert his attention. Kind of like when Bono plays guitar his singing usually suffers. He needs to concentrate

Rob33 said:
this song is on the upswing...next tour, it will be INCREDIBLE

i'm listening to 11-30-2006 Saitama Japan now, WOWY, that one is pretty damn good, I suggest you guys listen to that one too..it has shine like stars in it too..really powerful...Bono really captures the desperation in the song with his singing...LISTEN TO IT!

WOW THIS SHOW IS GREAT, DESIRE IS ROCKING!

u are right on that is the best preformance of the song I have heard from the Vertigo tour and one of the best ever. Bono's vocals are great on it like u said the song is comming back.

by the way I do like the JT tour versions but does it bother anyone else that bono hardly ever holds the give yourself away lines - its "you giiiiiiiiiiiive yourself awaahhaay" not you giive youself away

i implore ALL of you to track down the pop edmonton version of this song...its from the "please" single.....you might be blown away....i was.....THAT is what wowy should sound like....

listen to how smooth and flawless the falsetto outro was........my all-time favorite....................by far :drool:

Last edited:
thankyou said:
wowy would be so much better if they stopped pulling the girls on stage imo. just sing again like it was during JT, keep the song as it was back then.

Quoted for truth.

I don't mind if Bono pulls someone on stage now and then, but frankly, it's started to become a cliche now.

... and it does ruin the sung versions. Great for the girly (and sometimes obviously great for Bono), a pity for the rest ...

Back
Top Bottom