WOWY Argentina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saitama 12/10/06 is much better than this version - one of my favorites, in fact - as is the Twickenham version (I don't have the date handy) where Bono ad libs some lines from "take me to the clouds above." Chicago 5/12/05 kicks some serious ass, too - in a different kind of way.
There were some really good performances of that song on the vertigo tour.

This version is a bad example, Bono's voice was bad during this leg of the tour and WOWY is extremely difficult to sing and Bono needs to totally concentrate, which he often cannot do if he has a girl on stage.

He sung it better on other shows during the Vertigo tour, mainly during the last leg. BUT I have to agree with those who say this song needs a break live. I think I'm just tired of hearing it.

Last edited:
if Bono stayed on stage like he did in 1987...and he didn't kneel down or lie down on his back (Boston dvd) this song would improve vocally...and Larry needs to go back and watch 12-26-1989 WOWY performance where the drums were perfect...

As Bono tries to "break down barriers" by doing stuff with the crowd to enhance the performance, he sometimes he crosses the line because it actually takes away from the performance musically...so...Bono! Stay on stage and stand up when you sing this next tour!

although, I'd say 1st night of Melbourne, 11-30 and 12-4 2006 are reeeally good, and a sign of what's to come next tour (even better) if they end up playin it, whether it is a staple or a wild horses kind of thing...

If you want a really amazing version of WOWY from South America listen to the one they played at the Sao Paulo show in 98. That's my favorite live version of that song! So much soul and energy from Bono and he clearly was in love with the place and the audiance. The ending is out of this world amazing! Tha whole band is perfect there!

Definitely a great WOWY! One of the best since JT, I agree. However, that doesnt say alot, as I echo what others have said, its been going down hill since macphisto sang it! That being said, it is more than on the upswing, has been since about this point, and especially on the last leg of the tour, all through 2006 really. Can't wait for this song next tour, Bono is back!

It's not about pulling girls on stage, it's about the fact the song was recorded with a 20 years younger vocal.

That said, Vertigo versions (especially nights like Chicago 12 May 2005, with a solo and Strangers in the night) are an improvement over Machpisto, Elevation and Popmart WOWY, because his voice improved.

WOWY needs a rest, I'm tired of ALL versions, including the album version.

Vocally, it was mostly fine on the Vertigo tour, South America IS a bad example, because Bono's voice wasn't good.

The song should be given a break, then re-worked, then maybe brought back, but not on a nightly basis.

It would be great if Bono could use his operatic voice(With or without youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu") on this song, if he can hit "Wide Awake", "Wave", "L'amoure"... Well there wouldnt be any problems for him to do that.

Man, forget your operatic Bono voice mania for one second. Listen to the album version, to the live version of '87, '89 and '92 – and there you go.
Give the guy an acoustic guitar and the chance to perform the song only, when he feels he wants to do so. Not as a routine move every night in the same style ...

ZOOTVTOURist said:
Man, forget your operatic Bono voice mania for one second. Listen to the album version, to the live version of '87, '89 and '92 – and there you go.
Give the guy an acoustic guitar and the chance to perform the song only, when he feels he wants to do so. Not as a routine move every night in the same style ...

Its not only about his operatic voice,

- The strength in Desire(chapel), Don't Give Up(Oprah), Kids...

- The falsetto in Highway to hell, WITS, "Child" in MW.

- High notes in Vertigo, AIWIY...

- Deep sounds in the Pirate song...

Im 100% sure that Bono could do so much more vocally with this song :)

Peterrrrr said:

Its not only about his operatic voice,

- The strength in Desire(chapel), Don't Give Up(Oprah), Kids...

- The falsetto in Highway to hell, WITS, "Child" in MW.

- High notes in Vertigo, AIWIY...

- Deep sounds in the Pirate song...

Im 100% sure that Bono could do so much more vocally with this song :)

:up:

yes, exactly why WOWY will be incredible next tour if it is included in the setlist

Back
Top Bottom