Wow, there is a LOT going on in Larry's Ear!!! (spoiler, kinda)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
So, I just finished getting a bunch of songs from the Boston #2 show that were recorded from Larry's in-ear-monitor.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I simply found it amazing how much Larry listens to during a show.

It has been discussed in these forums how Larry listens to a click track during the show, and as much as I believed it, I could not imagine what it would sound like until I heard it.

Not only does he listen to the recorded stuff (intro to Elevation etc.), but his click track for each song kicks in, and then he listens to the band.

What I found most interesting is that he barely listens to the Edge at all, it is the click track, some Adam, but mostly a very loud Bono.

As a drummer I understand how Larry would really not want to listen to what the Edge plays (as his timing may be different), but I was surprised how much he actually listens to Bono.

I really found it interesting to hear what he hears as I actually found it a bit distracting. Some people have argued that Larry is "cheating" by listening to a metronome, but to be honest listening to his band, the click track, and even a voice (I think maybe his drum tech who sits next to him during the show) sounding off "1,2,3..4" is incredibly difficult and again, I found distracting.

The main point, I guess is that all this technology makes for a better sounding Larry and a better sounding U2 - which is what I like.

Anyway, just thought I would share.

It is basically a metronome.

The band members use in-ear-monitors to listen to themselves play. In Larry's monitors he listen's to a "clicking" sound which is the tempo of the song they are playing. The click track starts right before they start each song so Larry can get his timing down...

Where in the world did you get recordings of that???I didn't know they were out there. Now I want to hear it.
Can you post the link???

I thought each member only listens to his own sound, and, of course, to the intros (like for Streets or Bad) so they know their timing.

I noticed he always starts playing by hitting the drumsticks together ( "1,2,3,4" ), but i didn't know he had a click track for that. I just thought he starts like that on his own so the other 3 can get their timing for the songs.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 01-30-2002).]

I do not know if I should post the FTP site, as I am not sure whose site it is, or if they want everyone on it. It was posted in the MP3 section of this forum under "Post your FTP Sites" thread.

I will tell you the site begins with;

ftp://rtcFree

You have to find the rest (check page 2 of that thread)

Larry does start by clicking the drumsticks, after his click track starts, but I noticed when listening to the middle part of Until the End of the World there is some guy over his monitors say, "1,2,3,4" into the next part of the song.

Totally bizarre.

That recording is not from Larry's feed. It is Bono's feed, I know this for a fact. All four members hear the metronome device in their ear feeds for certain songs. Supposedly Larry's feed the drums and metronome dominate the mix and Bono's vocals are very low in the mix.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 01-30-2002).]

That's fascinating!

Actually, considering the massive multi-media elements of the last two tours, Larry would virtually HAVE TO use a click track because synchronization was critical. It's less so on Elevation shows, but still, they do work with off-stage keyboard/synth tracks, right?
And I love watching Bono's signals to Larry -- I always figured it's to let Larry know when Bono's done improvising. So maybe that has something to do with his voice in Larry's monitor. Very cool, ouizy!

Deb D

------------------
in memoriam
Peter Gzowski (1934-2002)

He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

On a related note, it's interesting to watch the band's evolution into more confident musicians, particularly with stadium shows. If you watch R and H, notice how focused Larry is during the stadium show (Tempe) particularly on WOWY with those humongous headphones. That can't have been fun at all. Now watch the Elevation DVD when he, and the band, are at the top of their game. Sure, extra technology helps but so does being together that extra 13 years and being the best stadium/arena act in the world.

Oh, and I'm still a critic of overreliance on backing tracks. It only takes away from the band's great musicianship!

Blue Room,

You say you know it for a fact, and thus I will believe you, I just find it very difficult to believe that it is from Bono's feed as there is a click track on each song.

Why would Bono need a click track for each song, for some I understand, but EVERY song? I really think it is Larry's feed, especially because the person who had these songs listed them as Larry's feeds.

It just sounds like what the drummer would listen to and not the singer...

Wow, this is all so interesting! So many things I learn from you people.
wink.gif

As for WOWY in R&H, yes, it's apparent that Larry had those headphone on for a reason. I don't know much about the technicalities of musice, but that was one of the best performances I've seen Larry do.
wink.gif

Originally posted by ouizy:
Blue Room,

You say you know it for a fact, and thus I will believe you...

I really think it is Larry's feed...

huh?
wink.gif

I'm gonna take Blue Room's word on this. This is, without question, his area of expertise.
Either way, ouizy, it's very cool to get to listen in to that secret little audio underworld. Thanks for posting this...

------------------
"The Edge is a great singer. Let's get the Edge up here." - Bono, 9/23/97, Sarajevo

"Brian Eno. Edge." - Bono, 09/12/95, Modena

"Edge." - Bono, 05/01/2001, Minneapolis

"You made my day, now you have to sleep in it." - TMBG

See Jayhawks post above. Trust me folks, it is Bono's feed. As I said, all four members have the click track in their ear feeds. That is no indication of which members feed it belongs to. You have to listen to what is the most pronounced in the mix. The Boston 6-6-01 ear feed Bono's vocals and Bono's acoustic guitar are higher in the mix than anything else. Listen to Kite from that recording. Bono's acoustic guitar is louder than Edge's guitar and the bass guitar. Why would Larry need to hear Bono's acoustic guitar at such a high level? Its simple, he doesnt. Its not Larry's feed.

OK - point taken.

I am surprised (and kind of shocked) that all the band members listen to a click track. Especially Bono - that would drive me absolutely crazy...

Wow - it kind of makes you think about all the things they are thinking about during the show (mostly making the music, of course.)

End of subject - it was Bono's feed.

I have a question. This is very interesting, specially since I got my first earpiece recording just a few days ago. It's the one from the last rehearsal before the show kicks off in Miami. It's from Bono.
My question is, can you hear this click track on all ear recordings? Why I wonder is because I can't hear any on my 'boot'.
What I do hear very clearly though is how Larry is counting in, not just with his drumsticks but also saying it which you never can hear when in the audience. And he has hardly any bass at all. I had to put on max bass and minimum trebble(?) to even hear the bass on 'normal' volume. Alot from Edge and middle from Larry. That's what I have figured out so far, and that it sounds like Bono is sitting next to you singing/jamming along to a prerecorded tape or something, it sounds very weird but great.
smile.gif

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

Maybe Blue Room can elaborate, but I do not think that is Larry counting. I think it is either pre-recorded on the click track (which I think is almost impossible because the band would have to be on that exact bar of the song and the click track when the counting starts) or it is someone else live counting it in.

BTW the counting on the songs I have have a distinct American accent which makes me even wonder more...

As you can tell, I am fascinated by this....

The metronome is on all ear recordings. Sometimes it is more pronounced and sometimes it is very faint. I'am not sure why but I think it is based on the band members mood or feeling at the time how loud they want the metronome. They dont use the metronome on all songs, most of the acoustic stuff there is no metronome (Ground Beneath, Staring At The Sun, the early version of Desire they were playing, etc) and alot of times the metronome just blends right into the music so your dont really notice it.

The voice counting off is a pre recorded computer voice. It is not live. I believe Edge triggers the start of the metronome or counting off for most songs with his foot pedals.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 01-31-2002).]

Originally posted by ouizy:

BTW the counting on the songs I have have a distinct American accent which makes me even wonder more...

As you can tell, I am fascinated by this....

I'm quite fascinated by it too! I actually thought it was Larry counting, and I did think that the accent was more Irish than American because of the way he said, "...fourrrr".
biggrin.gif

But anyway, Blue Room says it's the Edge.
wink.gif

It isnt Edge counting off. Edge triggers the computer that starts the metronome and the pre recorded voice counting off. The counting off is not live, it is pre recorded I dont know who did the pre recorded voice but I dont think it is a band member.

Out of curiosity, what makes you the authority Blue Room?

I mean, you can say, "Take my word for it..." and I can say, "OK..." but what is your background. How do you know these things as fact?

I dont claim to be an expert but I do know a little about what is going on with U2's set up. You dont have to take my word for it. As I have indicated on a few things I dont know 100% for sure what is going on but I have an idea. I do know 100% for sure though that the 6-6-01 recording is Bono's feed though. All I can say is that I have sources that know and they have shared that info with me.

Back
Top Bottom