Wow Mofo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I the studio version of Mofo I cant hear the Edges guitar riff in the chorus like I can on live versions. Is it in their or is it covered by the backing tracks. Also does edge realy play alot of guitar on the song or are most of the sounds electronic or is the guitar making those sounds it boggles the mind. Basicly if anyone could give a little explination on Mofo who understands the song on what parts are electronics and what is the actual band.

Jdelbove said:
I the studio version of Mofo I cant hear the Edges guitar riff in the chorus like I can on live versions. Is it in their or is it covered by the backing tracks. Also does edge realy play alot of guitar on the song or are most of the sounds electronic or is the guitar making those sounds it boggles the mind. Basicly if anyone could give a little explination on Mofo who understands the song on what parts are electronics and what is the actual band.

Yeah, I think they really figured out the song live. And Edge found more to do, especially with that Morricone-type riff on the chorus. The squealy bit is a guitar filtered through a whammy-pedal - the same thing Edge played with on Even Better than the Real Thing.

I think Adam is the unsung hero of this song. The synth-bass riff stuff is cool, but I think they could have done without it, especially in light of what Adam ended up playing on his own.

Looking at that clip - man, Bono was really in great shape back then, wasn't he?

zoopop said:

I love when Edge poses during that sustained guitar effect. Like he's riding the wave of Mofo.

That's the one thing that always bothered me in this song live. :uhoh: "Look at me I'm soo cool, playing a guitar AND striking a pose". Pete Townshend he isn't, so ...

Let's leave the posing to the singer in the band.

Mofo- the album version is the one i prefer, when edge comes in with that screaming guitar, its like being on a runway and a 747 taking off right behind you,,,

and the drums,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh man the drums,,love it , love it, love it.................

Larry i want your job!

I bought Pop back in 1997, I played it twice, maybe three times and I decided to put it to rest for a while, well it rested for 10 years.
Then, one day I was quite bored at home, I started organising my music and I discovered this album was in a different place from the rest of U2's, I took it and thought "I'm gonna play it, why not? if I don't like it, I can change the CD".
Well, I didn't find Discoteque so bad as I rememebered it, but when I finished listening to Mofo I was just wondering what had got in me ten years ago to think this album wasn't good, now it's one of my favourite, even if I still don't like some voice effects, but not many.
My conclusion is that I really wasn't prepared for this music and I would like to watch them play it live again. It's a pity they haven't stopped to try people understand it just when I've got it.

ahittle said:

Yeah, I think they really figured out the song live. And Edge found more to do, especially with that Morricone-type riff on the chorus. The squealy bit is a guitar filtered through a whammy-pedal - the same thing Edge played with on Even Better than the Real Thing.

I think Adam is the unsung hero of this song. The synth-bass riff stuff is cool, but I think they could have done without it, especially in light of what Adam ended up playing on his own.

Looking at that clip - man, Bono was really in great shape back then, wasn't he?
Yep POP really is the album of adam. :drool:

I know Bono dropping the F-bomb in Wake up Dead Man is well known for one of the only times they swear in a studio song. But I may be wrong I think Bono says fuck in Mofo too towards the end and its straight up badass. its quiet but its there - he says "Mother sucking, fucking rock and roll" also if u look up the lyrics its there on a lot of sites like at U2. On U2.com that section is described as "scat singin" whats up with that?

holy crap...
SRSLY

That's always been one of my fave songs, and I've heard it live, but I've never seen that performance. Amazing to think how much that song can blow you away, and on the little youtube screen, too!

An Cat Gav said:
This is definitely U2's best ever performance at an awards show!
Mofo is out of this world, one of their best ever songs.

Absolutely right,

though an odd choice for an awards ceremony, you'd have thought they'd play discotheque, as that was the albums lead single

Back
Top Bottom