Wouldn't U2 do a kickass cover version of...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No , Floyd were much better musicians and composers ...and writing the lyrics
better do Another One Bites The Dust by Queen , now that will be awesome , for Run Like Hell , in order to play it live , you need at least 6 more guys on stage , now if they can use thier technicians .......

WinnieThePoo said:
better do Another One Bites The Dust by Queen , now that will be awesome , for Run Like Hell , in order to play it live , you need at least 6 more guys on stage , now if they can use thier technicians .......

No you don't. 1 guitarist (hell, I can play it myself), 1 bassist, 1 singer, 1 drummer, and they would need someone to play a fairly easy keyboard part. I bet Bono could even do that one.

I still say that U2 could do an incredible version of this.

WinnieThePoo said:

Um, that's assuming they were to do an exact copy of the song. Since when have U2 played a cover exactly the same as the original?

Run like hell is one of Pink Floyd's BEST songs. Great show close for most of Pink Floyd's post-wall shows. But I really don't think U2 could cover that particular song. As Pink Floyd are one of my favourite bands, right next to U2, I really couldn't lie and say they could play the song well. Sure many of The Edge's guitar sounds are reminiscent of David Gilmour's (incl. Run Like Hell) but I don't think Bono and The Edge could really do Roger Waters and David Gilmours almost 'Call-and-response' vocals with the same qualities that the Pink Floyd front-men gave to the song.

If you listen to 'Is there anybody Out There?' (The Wall played live in it's entirety at Earl's Court. One of the greatest Rock concerts ever!) you'll see what I mean. The studio version doesn't have the same energy as the live one. Roger Waters' does the vocals on his own (probably using two tracks for the 'call-and-response') and it just sounds like he's wailing and moaning it the whole time. Bono and The Edge have too nice singing voices to 'live up to' the frustrated tone in the voices of Pink Floyd.

Pink Floyd songs I'd love to hear U2 cover:

'Mother'
'Wish you Were Here' maybe they could place a cover of that in their mini-accoustic sets they play each show, as a tribute when one of the Floyd dies.
'Money'

Like it was said above, 'High Hopes' is a big No-no for U2. As is Comfortably Numb.

Now you mention, U2 Make-overs. It sounds okay(ish). Because they take it and kind of make it THEIR song in a way with some of their covers! I've they gave it the 'U2 Treatment' it would be okay, but not trying to emulate the original. Not until Bono can do all the synths in the background and Edge simply playing guitar..

Originally posted by
Run like hell is one of Pink Floyd's BEST songs. Great show close for most of Pink Floyd's post-wall shows. But I really don't think U2 could cover that particular song.
probably using two tracks for the 'call-and-response') and it just sounds like he's wailing and moaning it the whole time. Bono and The Edge have too nice singing voices to 'live up to' the frustrated tone in the voices of Pink Floyd.

Pink Floyd songs I'd love to hear U2 cover:

'Mother'
'Wish you Were Here' maybe they could place a cover of that in their mini-accoustic sets they play each show, as a tribute when one of the Floyd dies.
'Money'

Like it was said above, 'High Hopes' is a big No-no for U2. As is Comfortably Numb.

you know , i believe U2 perform covers not for funeral reasons
, i still do

and david gilmour sings his verse ( there is no pain... ) during earl's court CN perfomance

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said the boys cover songs just for funeral reasons. That was just a bit of dry humour!

I don't think U2 should touch C. Numb or High Hopes. That would be sacrilege. I love Comfortably Numb more than I love One! And that's a lot, seeing as One is my favorite U2 song.

Comfortably Numb is a fantastic record! Love that!
DaveC, which is your favourite Pink Floyd album? Mine would have to be Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

Animals, my very close second. There's something about that one that makes it stand out from the rest, in my opinion! It doesn't get near as much praise as DSOTM, WWYH, and The Wall wherever *I* Chat about them.

Back
Top Bottom