Would you say HTDAAB is U2's third masterpiece?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lancemc said:
October better than HTDAAB? Sorry, but I don't think so.

Oh, I do.

Gloria
Fire
Rejoice
October
Tomorrow
Scarlet

Great stuff. I agree that if I had to pick one of their records to give up in order to keep HTDAAB, this would probably be it. But I stand by what I said.

To me HTDAAB is probably 5th best U2 album. Coming after AB, JT, Pop, and War. Like someone said before, the music is amazing but Bono messed up the lyrics big time. The music part still puts it above ATYCLB for me though.

And I'm sure it's been stated before, but Pop must be the most underrated album in history of music. If they took as much time to release Pop as they did with HTDAAB, that album would've been bigger then The Dark Side of The Moon.

You're opinion is just as valid as mine, so I don't want to sound like I'm preaching to you, but I feel Tomorrow is their most overrated song, Fire hasn't aged well at all, Scarlet is weak, and the rest of the songs are either unfinished or just "blah".

Atomic Bomb, I feel, has their strongest songs since zooropa and Achtung Baby. City of Blinding Lights, Miracle Drug, Somtimes, Vertigo, Original of the Species, Yahweh, and frankly most songs on the new album are solid, strong, enjoyable, and "quality" works.

No. I don't think U2 made the album that has the power and impact of JT/AB.

That said, in my opinion, HTDAAB is currently my 3rd favorite album after the two masterpieces.

I have yet to hear what is wrong with the lyrics on this record infact I think they are certainly the best since Achtung Baby.

The lyrics are good... not great though. I'd say Zooropa has much better lyrics though, and maybe Pop. This alum is just a little too... easy. The only songs I found somewhat edgy were Vertigo and Fast Cars.

Lancemc said:

The only songs of the ones you listed that even compare with the three mentioned from HTDAAB are Stay and Kite.

Ahhhh if it ain't got the twanging guitar and echo repeat chiming then you ain't interested.:wink:

Truth be told, I do like the echo and twang, but I also like The Fly, Gone, Until the End of the World, Wake Up Dead Man, Hold Me Thrill me etc. Just the ones listed in that post I don't think are among their best. So, thanks again for assuming. :up:

No-

The sad truth is that HTDAAB is not a great album, it's very average at best. Look at JT or AB, these albums are experiences.

Basically, HTDAAB is an awesome collection of songs, but as an album it just isn't that great.

Lancemc said:

Atomic Bomb, I feel, has their strongest songs since zooropa and Achtung Baby. City of Blinding Lights, Miracle Drug, Somtimes, Vertigo, Original of the Species, Yahweh, and frankly most songs on the new album are solid, strong, enjoyable, and "quality" works.

Strongest songs? Maybe strong in the sense that they're all poppy. The major problem with this album is that U2 has figured out how to make hits. Since ATYCLB, U2 has been written songs by the proven formulas out there. The magic and spontenaity that existed in the 80's and 90's is gone. They're more concerned with having big radio hits than making a great, cohesive album. :|

I think U2 will only ever have two generally acknowledged masterpieces - JT and AB. "Masterpiece" is more than just a great album - it's a great album with some sort of significance, a milestone. Joshua Tree is the Ultimate U2 Album; Achtung Baby is the Ultimate U2 Re-Invention Album. I just don't think there's a space there for a third album to get as much recognition.

Throughout JT, the band explored their roots, while on R&H, the band covered their roots (and jammed with a few too!). AB took marginally popular (at the time) industrial music, and infused the sounds of that movement into already strong U2 songs (or vica versa).

On the surface, both JT and AB are extremes. Underneath, both present great U2 writing.

I honestly can't say whether HTDAAB could be considered their third (or fourth) masterpiece. It's possible that it may be a masterpiece, but it's not, imho, as united as either JT or AB, or many other albums from the u2 catalog. Perhaps, in time, I'll hear the unity. Right now, HTDAAB still seems to lack in this area.

It's a solid album nonetheless. Maybe HTDAAB will be like War, UF, Zooropa, or even Pop? You know, albums that, while not neccessarily masterpieces, are classics in their own right.

No....HTDAAB is not u2's third masterpiece.......that honour goes to All that you can't leave behind, the record that saved U2 and allowed them to reclaim their position as the biggest band in the world......

Hutdab is the 4th u2 masterpiece...... and at this present time i would rank the 4 as follows

Achtung baby
How to dismantle an atomic bomb
Joshua Tree
All that you can't leave behind

come on on HTDAAB is not even a top 5 album!!!!!!!!

where the hell is WAR. sunday bloody sunday!new years day! two hearts! 40 ! to name a few!!!!!! wake up people!!!!!!!!!!!

no one will give a fuck about vertigo in say 5 yeras and sunday blood sunday will live for ever!!!!

as we all know u2s greatest album is AB/JT!

boy october war uf r&h just kick arsssssss!

atyclb was lame (BD is a great song and so is stuck)
htdaab is a booring album!(sycmoyo,md are good)

but all in all after POP u2 have become realy realy boooooooring they just put me to sleep! maby they will wake up with their next album!!!(which will be like 5 years from now)

Lancemc said:
You're opinion is just as valid as mine, so I don't want to sound like I'm preaching to you, but I feel Tomorrow is their most overrated song, Fire hasn't aged well at all, Scarlet is weak, and the rest of the songs are either unfinished or just "blah".

Not Pop? Let's see...

Discotheque
Do You Feel Loved
Mofo
If God Will Send His Angels
Staring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Please

Those are the songs from Pop that I think are more exciting/great than the majority(maybe all) of HTDAAB.

jick said:
Rolling Stone Magazine had already covered this topic, ATYCLB is their third masterpiece. If ATYCLB was the earthquake, HTDAAB is the aftershock. POP were the animals running away forewarning the earthquake to come.

Cheers,

J

That's hilarious! (POP were the animals running away forewarning the earthquake to come)

I agree w/ Rolling Stone.

For me HTDAAB ranks around #6 so I don't consider it a "masterpiece" at all. It's a good record but not great. War, TJT, and AB are "masterpieces" considering what the songs and tours did for the band at the time.

shaun vox said:
come on on HTDAAB is not even a top 5 album!!!!!!!!

where the hell is WAR. sunday bloody sunday!new years day! two hearts! 40 ! to name a few!!!!!! wake up people!!!!!!!!!!!

no one will give a fuck about vertigo in say 5 yeras and sunday blood sunday will live for ever!!!!

as we all know u2s greatest album is AB/JT!

boy october war uf r&h just kick arsssssss!

atyclb was lame (BD is a great song and so is stuck)
htdaab is a booring album!(sycmoyo,md are good)

but all in all after POP u2 have become realy realy boooooooring they just put me to sleep! maby they will wake up with their next album!!!(which will be like 5 years from now)

*yawn*

shit post.

namkcuR said:

Not Pop? Let's see...

Discotheque
Do You Feel Loved
Mofo
If God Will Send His Angels
Staring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Please

Those are the songs from Pop that I think are more exciting/great than the majority(maybe all) of HTDAAB.

Mofo, SATS & Gone are pretty good, the rest either overrated or downright weak...

roy said:

Mofo, SATS & Gone are pretty good, the rest either overrated or downright weak...

Off the new album, there is only Love and Peace Or Else and Original Of The Species that are as good as any of the songs off Pop. The only weak track off Pop was If God Will Send His Angels but even that is better than the YAWNFEST of A Man And A Woman or Crumbs From Your repetetive Table.

rjhbonovox said:

Off the new album, there is only Love and Peace Or Else and Original Of The Species that are as good as any of the songs off Pop. The only weak track off Pop was If God Will Send His Angels but even that is better than the YAWNFEST of A Man And A Woman or Crumbs From Your repetetive Table.

You're so right, Miami is infinitely better than SYCMIOYO.

Ugh.. the Pop/ATYCLB/HTDAAB war is fucking weak. 2 of the 3 albums are great IN THEIR OWN RIGHT, whilst one is just ok.

Hut Dab however would certainly have been a masterpiece album had the tracklisting been:

1. Vertigo
2. Crumbs From Your Table
3. Sometimes
4. City Of Blinding Lights
5. All Because Of You
6. Love & Peace (Or Else...)
Segueway...
7. Miracle Drug
More gradual, slower intro...
8. One Step Closer
9. Original Of The Species
10. Mercy
11. Yahweh

All the songs must be named the way I have, and perhaps slight reworking of the mixes to make the album flow better song to song in terms of volume and timing. But sonically, and lyrically, I think this is the most perfect listing for the album and would have made it a masterpiece. As it is, it is just a great collection of music, but as a whole drags a bit.

roy said:

You're so right, Miami is infinitely better than SYCMIOYO.

I absolutley agree even though you don't mean it but I know I would rather listen to Miami than the Bon Jovi tribute SYCMIOYO.

rjhbonovox said:

I absolutley agree even though you don't mean it but I know I would rather listen to Miami than the Bon Jovi tribute SYCMIOYO.

Fucking ridiculous....how dumb are you???

Back
Top Bottom