Would you rather U2 just go back to the studio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If they are ready to tour, I'm guessing everyone in the band is OK with it.

As for ponkine's post, it's really more of the same stuff he's been posting. Ignore button does wonders, but since MrBrau quoted him:
amazon.com has several reviews from even before those people actually had the album, and several interferencers here posted they wrote positive reviews that were not included here. Those posts are also a tiny fraction of U2's fanbase around the world.

Yes, the fans clearly spoke about How to dismantle to atomic bomb by buying it. Majority of professional critics' review were positive.

Popular music does not equal bad music, U2 is a prime example of that. "Dismantle" is in no way All that part II, just like Zooropa wasn't Achtung part II.

As for songwriting, it's a matter of taste. Internet boards's fans are in average younger than the core U2 fanbase which is their 40s - so obviously 90's work gets hyped. (once and for all, Pop isn't all that and most fans and critics feel it's U2's worst album. a much worse effort than mid-tour Zooropa and that says a lot) Considering the album sales, it seems people do like straightforward songwriting better over bleeps and effects. I know a lot of people here are sick of the post 2000 negativity. Find yourself another fave band if you feel U2 betrayed you and owes anything to you.

As for Bono's voice, I guess ponkine hasn't been reading comments from fans being impressed by it, people praising Bono (including Daniel Lanois). He easily outsings All that... and Pop.

Lovetown was their shortest tour but that doesn't mean Rattle and Hum is their best album. U2 always tours albums, I don't see why that should stop.

Creativity? Yup, I guess U2 has been doing nothing but songs like Beautiful day, Stuck, In a little while, Wild honey, Grace, Love and peace or else, A man and woman, All because of you, Fast cars, Original of the species throughout their career.

Last edited:
I dont' feel u2 should tour solely out of a desire to please their fans

I think maybe we should start a petition letting u2 know that they dont have to tour just to satisfy us and that if there are other issues they should feel free to cancel the tour

the problem is the tour is going to start in about 6 weeks it might be too late

I have tickets....one to an especially hard to get venue, and I'd gladly give it up and go through it all again if I knew the band was touring because they wanted to and not because they felt they had to

the only problem with this is people who did buy tix from scalpers get screwed, because TM will not issue a refund for the price people paid.

u2 doesn't owe us a thing...especially if these rumors are true

I really like the album. In fact, I like it better than ATYCLB. Every time I feel I need a kick start to get going, I play it. It just moves me, but, then again, U2 music just moves me in general -- always has and, so it would seem, always will.

As for their touring -- Of course I'm dying to see/hear these new songs live: Vertigo, Love & Peace or Else, etc. -- so much great live potential!

However, I'd wait as long as I had to if they needed to wait for *any* reason.

End all be all, imho, if U2 want to tour, then they should tour. If they don't, then they shouldn't. Who are we to tell them what to do or to decide for them? Y'know?

I think U2 should do a tour strictly for those that don't spend every once of energy to constantly bash the band.

Amazon.com doesn't speak shit, most of those times those reviews are done by those that have nothing else to do with their life except complain.

If you haven't like anything U2 has done since 97, then why are you still wasting your time and or money? Move on to a band you think is doing something worth your time.

dream chaser said:
I really like the album. In fact, I like it better than ATYCLB. Every time I feel I need a kick start to get going, I play it. It just moves me, but, then again, U2 music just moves me in general -- always has and, so it would seem, always will.

As for their touring -- Of course I'm dying to see/hear these new songs live: Vertigo, Love & Peace or Else, etc. -- so much great live potential!

However, I'd wait as long as I had to if they needed to wait for *any* reason.

End all be all, imho, if U2 want to tour, then they should tour. If they don't, then they shouldn't. Who are we to tell them what to do or to decide for them? Y'know?

:up:

I agree 100% with this post. Any decision whether to tour or not is entirely up to the band, and I'm sure they will make the decision that is right for them.

I would rather the band just tour constantly and not release new albums like The Dead used to do. This is, of course, assuming there are no personal or health related resons not to.

I like the new stuff but they always play X number of new songs on every tour at the expense of the back catalogue. Sure, there are some pleasant suprises (Gone at Popmart comes to mind) but the older songs are usually the ones that get the warmest reception.

ponkine is a great satirical writer, his witty posts about the "greedy bastards" in U2 are wrought with humor and a look at our society in general.

Huh? Oh, he's serious...so does that make him a comedian then?

Okay... didn't mean to bring this thread back to the front page or annoy anybody with my previous post. Listen people! I don't HATE the new phase that U2 are going through. I even like HTDAAB more than the last album. It's just that I miss the days when they constantly puzzled us with sonic exploration and cryptic lyrics.

...Oh and the whole U2 RIP thing was just to see if I could get some wild reactions. :wink: :reject:

dudeman said:
i totally agree with arun V
come back from outer space people.
if u2 were to skip a tour, it would have nothing to do with a lack of love for the fans or live music or anything. they're a kickass rock band, and a kickass live band, and of course the new songs would sound great (everyone who hasn't
heard it check the live in studio shit from 11/16/04!). if they were to skip a tour it's because a family member has a potentially terminal illness. and that should be fine with us.
i can't believe for a minute that playing night after night in front of strangers would trump being next to a loved one in need. to suppose that would fix everything suggests egotism, not heart. the tour is for us, not the edge. count your blessings.:eyebrow:

Stop right there! Hold your horses! Don't go anywhere!

Exactly WHAT LIVE STUDIO SHIT FROM 11/16/04 ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!!!!!!

:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom