Would you mind if the next U2 album did NOT feature Bono on vocals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catman

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I don't know... still have him as a lyricist and produce a couple of tracks, but overall - the man would stay a couple steps behind the mic. I'm thinking it would certainly be interesting if the band decided to bring in a couple of unknown singers (particularly of the female sex) to sing a good deal of the songs (maybe Edge could have a tune or 2 to himself, as well). Bono could have a small bit in the singing process - couple of backing vocals, perhaps?

But yeah, I'm just pondering different directions the band could take. It would certainly throw some people for a loop. I was thinking that it might give Bono some room to write some real nasty, dirty love songs, or a few rather SEXY songs that would otherwise sound strange coming from an old bloke approaching 50 (but I'll still always be up for some soulful crooning, ala "In A Little While").

What got me thinking about this is after listening to the new His Name Is Alive record, Detrola (download "In My Dreams" and "After I Leave U")... I'll probably be crucified for even having suggested this, but I'd like to see the band go down that path.

...or a jazz record, which would always be nice :wink:

Pretty much as long as they forego the whole "big, booming arena anthems" next round, I'll be happy. Don't get me wrong, I've loved U2's past two records, but it's time they skip the subway and head to the overground and find a new inspiration for their music.

Just my opinion, anyway...

:wink:

Last edited:
I only wouldn't mind if Edge were the singer instead.

Or if Steven Wilson were the singer, that'd be cool too.

Why is it people can't realize Edge would make a lousy lead singer?

As to the original question, sure, just don't call it a U2 album.:|

If a "U2" album doesn´t feature Bono, Edge, Adam and larry... it´s simply NON a U2 album :eyebrow:
Maybe more tracks sung by The Edge would be nice, but not the whole album. I think they need to do more vocal harmonies between Bono & Edge !!!!

ps: Who the hell is Steven Wilson? :huh:

Would you mind if the next U2 album did NOT feature Edge on the guitar?
Would you mind if the next U2 album did NOT feature Adam on the bass?
Would you mind if the next U2 album did NOT feature Larry on drums?

I think all these questions have the same obvious answer, you should know which...

Zooropean103 said:
Would you mind if the next U2 album did NOT feature Edge on the guitar?
Would you mind if the next U2 album did NOT feature Adam on the bass?
Would you mind if the next U2 album did NOT feature Larry on drums?

I think all these questions have the same obvious answer, you should know which...
No, you simply do not understand the question, then. If the rest of the band members decided not to play and had others fill in for them on their instruments, then what would be the point and why wouldn't they be playing the notes in the first place? It would still sound the same as long as the rest of U2 had control over what notes the others would play. However, if Bono stepped back for a few songs, then the songs would obviously sound different coming from a female perspective, also giving Bono a chance to expand his lyrics and write about things that normally wouldn't be suited for an aging 50-year-old rocker.

Now, back to your rebuttal. If Edge stepped back from guitar, and noone else played guitar, and he decided to work effects and produce, and still have an equal say in how the album was conceived, then yes, I would still call it a U2 album (for example, "40" is still a U2 song even though Edge isn't playing guitar, nor is Adam playing bass). It will just be a very different direction for the band. Just because they've been basically playing the same instruments for the past 11 albums does not necessarily mean they are restricted to those instruments alone. As long as they have equal say in the album's production, it shouldn't matter, IMO, what they play.

And after further consideration, I'm thinking maybe not a full-length album per se, but an EP would be the better way to go. Knock out a couple of songs and bring a few of the singers on the road (it would give Bono's voice a break, too!) and maybe even extend the current tour to allow these songs some exposure.

Catman said:

(for example, "40" is still a U2 song even though Edge isn't playing guitar, nor is Adam playing bass).

They just switched roles. They didn't bring in a guest guitarists.

They did Cash on Wanderer, but I would never want a whole album like that.

If Bono wants to write "sexier" lyrics for someone else, then he should go for it.

But U2 is U2...

I wouldn't mind seeing them have a song with some female harmonies off in the background singing some gaelic chants or something with Bono obviously singing the lead, or even having one of their daughters sing on it but as far as what you propose, I am not sure that could ever really work and still be 'U2'.

Nah, It just wouldn't be the same. If they released a collaboration album along with a new U2 album then that would be gravy. But I love Bono's voice and would really miss it on a U2 release.
I just wouldn't want this. :tsk:

Catman said:

Just because they've been basically playing the same instruments for the past 11 albums does not necessarily mean they are restricted to those instruments alone. As long as they have equal say in the album's production, it shouldn't matter, IMO, what they play.

They're not completely restricted to those instruments, no. But come on. You're honestly saying that if Edge didn't play guitar and Bono didn't sing on an album you would still consider it a U2 album? There's much debate as to whether Passengers should count as a U2 album, and Bono does the majority of the vocals on it, and I'm assuming Edge did most of the guitar (though it's not a guitar-heavy album). Part of what makes U2 unique is the fact that they've consisted of the same four people for practically thirty years. Each member of U2 helps create the U2 sound, and although they've changed their sound many times they are certain elements in Larry's drumming style, Adam's bass, and Edge's guitar in every album that make you go "yep, that's U2." If not Edge's guitar though, then Bono is definitely what makes U2 most recognizable. When you've got one of the best vocalists around today, why the hell would you wanna have someone
else sing your songs? That makes absolutely no sense... taking Bono off lead vocals would take the soul out of U2. I'd rather have someone else write lyrics and Bono sing them than Bono write lyrics and have someone else sing them (though I think Bono should do both as he's always done). I think the most important thing Bono contributes to the band is his voice - hence him being the lead singer. If he's not the lead singer, what's the point :huh:

Yea i think edge would be a hopeless lead singer he's voice is too spot on to be a lead singer thats whats great about bono even though he does hit wrong notes he's voice sounds interesting that you don't care ... edge has got an interesting voice he's got a note perfect voice and although it's amazing that he's that good its a fairly simple sound

ponkine said:
ps: Who the hell is Steven Wilson? :huh:

One of my favourite musicians and producers. He's the lead singer and guitarist of Porcupine Tree, and imagining him and Edge sharing a song is a delightful thought to me. Both have beautiful singing voices that I think could work together (not quite so sure about Wilson with Bono).

I'd buy it....and it would be my LEAST favorite of all "U2" albums----guaranteed, even without listening to it. I listen to U2 primarily because I love Bono's voice, scratchy or not. To me, Bono's voice is 50% of U2. Edge is 48%. L&A, great guys that they are & with good parts in various songs, make up the final 2%.

An album with little or no B's vox wouldn't really be U2 to me.

More importantly----such an album would be career-killing. Duet albums are what defunct musicians do to try and rejuvenate a dwindling public image. Sinatra did it when he was ready to go. Santana's been doing it over the last several years after almost a 15-year hiatus----and he seems to be unable to do anything other than duets anymore. When U2 come out with a duet album, or an album where other musicians/vocalists come in to "help out," it'll be a sad, sad U2 trying to grasp for cultural relevance once more.

DignityPassesBy said:
he's voice is too spot on to be a lead singer thats whats great about bono even though he does hit wrong notes he's voice sounds interesting that you don't care ... edge has got an interesting voice he's got a note perfect voice and although it's amazing that he's that good its a fairly simple sound

It's impossible to know if Edge's voice is spot on or note perfect. He's only sang what two songs lead Van and SBS(and a few karoke songs) the rest is back up.

It's pretty easy to sing back up and not be the strongest singer.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It's impossible to know if Edge's voice is spot on or note perfect. He's only sang what two songs lead Van and SBS(and a few karoke songs)

Don't forget about 'Seconds'--sounding very much like Bono.

Utoo said:

Don't forget about 'Seconds'--sounding very much like Bono.

Yep. He sounds great on Seconds. I didn't even know it was Edge when I first got War. His Popmart karaoke wasn't bad either. :wink:

As for the original question, I wouldn't mind if Edge and Bono divided up the lead vocals between each other, but I wouldn't like it if they brought other vocalists in.

i dont want some girls vocal crapping up u2 perfection. *points at the new version of one*

I mean I understand it would be a totally different path, but i think the guys are good enough at changing course within their group.

And i love Bono's voice. Like LOVE IT. I don't want to hear ANY U2 song NOT sung by him (unless its like kareoke or something! hahaha)

I know it's lame, but I keep picturing Bono standing next to the guest singer, playing cowbell. :wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Why is it people can't realize Edge would make a lousy lead singer?

As to the original question, sure, just don't call it a U2 album.:|

:yes:

Edge is a great back-up singer. Lead singer - no thanks. :no:

And if there's no Bono on lead vocals, then it won't be a U2 album to me. Same is true if Edge isn't on lead guitar, Adam on bass or Larry on drums. Now, if one of them "retired" or was unable to perform - like in R.E.M. or INXS - that's different. A replacement still, especially at lead vocal, would be tough for me to accept, but I could at least understand why. However, as of this moment, no Bono then no U2. And I will not buy the CD.

doctorwho said:

:yes:

Edge is a great back-up singer. Lead singer - no thanks. :no:

And if there's no Bono on lead vocals, then it won't be a U2 album to me. Same is true if Edge isn't on lead guitar, Adam on bass or Larry on drums. Now, if one of them "retired" or was unable to perform - like in R.E.M. or INXS - that's different. A replacement still, especially at lead vocal, would be tough for me to accept, but I could at least understand why. However, as of this moment, no Bono then no U2. And I will not buy the CD.

You won't buy the CD?

You know, a lot of you are being very close-minded about this. Maybe a whole album with other singers would be a bit much, but if it was just three or four songs, I wouldn't mind that, so long as they pick good singers. I'd hate a 'U2 feat. Britney Spears' track or a 'U2 feat. Mariah Carey' track, or anything teeny-bopper like that. But if they picked singers who weren't like that, and more real, like Norah Jones and Joss Stone, I wouldn't mind that at all.

I'm up for anything different that U2 tries. Fuck Bono. If he doesn't remember quickly how to be an interesting lead singer again then let the Edge, let Larry Mullen, I don't care...do something as long as it's interesting. Bono has a hard-on for writing purposely bad lyrics lately. Bring in Bernie Taupin.

Isn't it since 30 years that U2 are

Bono: Vocals
The Edge: Guitar, Keyboards, Vocals
Adam Clayton: Bass Guitar
Larry Mullen Jnr. : Drums

Wasn't it always so?........................................:wink:

Come on, what means Bono makes a couple of steps behind the mic, it's a question I frankly don't understand. No Bono on vocals, no U2 album, it's more than obvious

Back
Top Bottom