Would you love U2 if....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe they built a legacy and enough fame with JT and Live Aid that they could have milked it to this day. Maybe not on such a large scale, but I believe they'd still be popular and remembered. As a thirtysomething, I talk to many people my age and who believe U2 never did anything good after the 80's anyway and totally ignore their newer stuff, yet still love the band. So yes there would be a market for that!

I also believe if they had really 'gone away' in 1989 and didn't reappear until now, people would still be excited over a new album.

Last edited:
Their own loss of luster would certainly have taken some of the shine off of my fandom. It already did during the popmart debacle. U2 is the kind of band that NEEDS to be out there and 'important'. As long as we're talking hypotheticals here, I don't think the guys themselves would've carried on much longer if things went the way you imagined. As for me, I would probably have checked into their stuff albeit with a certain sadness and remembrance of what was. Which isn't that far off from what a lot of people are doing now anyway. Good post, indra--as usual.

I'm a Pearl Jam fan first and foremost and they still sell out arenas or at least come close to it without much promotion at all. I think U2 would be in the same boat. They'd still amass a large following, but part of U2's stigma is that they're "The Biggest Band in the World" so if they didn't have that, I'm sure there'd be a much smaller fan base.

Hey Pearl Jam Yield--It's funny that you use that sign on name because I was almost going to make a reference to them and that album in my previous post...it was a good album in my opinion that went under appreciated---and look at the commercial and popular luster it took off them. It bummed me out that it didn't score more success, and even though I like it, it affected me a little becuase the perception was that they were 'slipping'. And sometimes perception can cause 'reality', which it probably would have in U2's case as it has in Pearl Jam's. (Where the hell are they these days?) Sorry, don't turn this into a Pearl Jam thread.

RobH said:
Hey Pearl Jam Yield--It's funny that you use that sign on name because I was almost going to make a reference to them and that album in my previous post...it was a good album in my opinion that went under appreciated---and look at the commercial and popular luster it took off them. It bummed me out that it didn't score more success, and even though I like it, it affected me a little becuase the perception was that they were 'slipping'. And sometimes perception can cause 'reality', which it probably would have in U2's case as it has in Pearl Jam's. (Where the hell are they these days?) Sorry, don't turn this into a Pearl Jam thread.

I'll only respond just for clarification. I think No Code actually was the album that did what you're talking about. Yield was sort of a commercial "comeback" so to speak. But I definitely agree with you that perception can cause a reality of a band "slipping." I get so fed up with people who say "Pearl Jam, oh, I liked the first three albums, but everything after that sucked" because it's such an ignorant statement. It'd be the same if someone said that about U2 for Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby and the rest of their albums.

I'm sure if U2 made Achtung, Zooropa, Passengers, Pop, ATYCLB and HTDAAB on "indie" labels they would still have made the RnR Hall of Fame, would still be immensely popular, and probably still sell out arenas ala Pearl Jam. Probably even more critical acclaim.

I guess the difference would be they would "appear" to have more 'street cred' in some ridiculous fans eyes. You could go to the REM and Radiohead boards and they would be praising them as much as they deride them now. The only difference, I suppose is the amount of success, because after all they MUST be compromising themselves to be so successful (sarcasm).

It's the ridiculous nature of those "types". It makes me sick, really.

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:
I'm sure if U2 made Achtung, Zooropa, Passengers, Pop, ATYCLB and HTDAAB on "indie" labels they would still have made the RnR Hall of Fame, would still be immensely popular, and probably still sell out arenas ala Pearl Jam. Probably even more critical acclaim.

I guess the difference would be they would "appear" to have more 'street cred' in some ridiculous fans eyes. You could go to the REM and Radiohead boards and they would be praising them as much as they deride them now. The only difference, I suppose is the amount of success, because after all they MUST be compromising themselves to be so successful (sarcasm).

I'm just curious...how do you explain the I-Pod commercial?

U2DMfan said:

Right On!

PearlJamYield said:

I'm just curious...how do you explain the I-Pod commercial?

I would say it's the same as a music video on MTV or Vh1.
Music promotion. They didn't do it to cash in. If they took the money and were selling jeans like Lenny Kravitz, then the entire dynamic is changed. As it is, they took no money, made an agreement with Apple, you can use our song and in return, we don't want money, we want you to market our music. There is no conflict of interest. They are doing nothing more than promoting themselves and their album.

Why is it different than Interpol or even Radiohead doing commericals for their album on MTV? I saw many many ads for Kid A on MTV. It's not different, but it sure makes easy fodder for the elitist masses. U2 have turned down millions from car companies, and yet you hear The BUzzcocks, The Ramones, Iggy Pop and countless other "indie/punk" darlings on the TV who liscened their music to sell things other than their own music. That is a conficlt to me. The list of those particular types is long.

I don't like what U2 did, because of sheer over-exposure and unwarranted criticism, but ultimately it doesn't really mean much.

It's funny.

RH/REM fans will slag U2 for doing an Ipod commercial for free, yet The Flaming Lips are still very respected, and they did an ad for Mitsubishi and got paid.

U2DMfan said:

I would say it's the same as a music video on MTV or Vh1.
Music promotion. They didn't do it to cash in. If they took the money and were selling jeans like Lenny Kravitz, then the entire dynamic is changed. As it is, they took no money, made an agreement with Apple, you can use our song and in return, we don't want money, we want you to market our music. There is no conflict of interest. They are doing nothing more than promoting themselves and their album.

Why is it different than Interpol or even Radiohead doing commericals for their album on MTV? I saw many many ads for Kid A on MTV. It's not different, but it sure makes easy fodder for the elitist masses. U2 have turned down millions from car companies, and yet you hear The BUzzcocks, The Ramones, Iggy Pop and countless other "indie/punk" darlings on the TV who liscened their music to sell things other than their own music. That is a conficlt to me. The list of those particular types is long.

I don't like what U2 did, because of sheer over-exposure and unwarranted criticism, but ultimately it doesn't really mean much.

I didn't know all the facts...you make a very good point. Good argument, my man. :)

I am full of U2 statistics and chart watching over at the "Peeling off those dollar bills" forum. It's fun, for me anyway, to see U2 breaking onto the radio and into the charts. Why? Because I think that it's great when someone gets to hear U2 music, maybe for the first time, and then discovers their back catalog, becomes a big fan, etc. Plus, I hate the songs on the radio today, so I rarely even listen to it anymore...but if U2 is charting, that means they have stolen at least a little airplay from Britney, Snoopy, 50-cent, Justin, and all the other crap that pollutes the airwaves these days.

As for your question, I would love U2 regardless of their popularity. I'd go to the ends of the earth to buy their music, as I bought Mick Jagger's CD just to hear "Joy", In the Name of the Father for the title song w/Gavin Friday, MDH for Falling at your Feet, Stateless, etc., and before the "Best Of's and file sharing, I used to search far and wide to buy all their singles just for the b-sides.

In a way, lots of us have probably been through your scenario on some level. When I was in college, I spent two different years working in a tiny town in South Carolina. I was an Engineering Intern, so everyone at work was older than me and had families, everyone living in a town of 500 kept to themselves, and no one had even heard of U2. I had to drive 1.5 hours to Columbia to buy music, but their selection was limited. I missed my little record shops in Nashville where I could find imports and even the occasional bootleg.

So, like your scenario, I drove to Atlanta on a few different weekends and searched out record stores. Boy I thought I had hit the jackpot! I made my own tapes of b-sides like Luminous Times, Walk to the Water, Spanish Eyes, etc. I remember living in Yellowstone National Park the summer of 1992 when "One" came out, and I had to drive 6 hours to buy the single! I then listened to "Lady with a Spinning Head" over and over again on the trip back. New U2 material...even just one song...was like heaven!

Finally, it wasn't a lounge, but I saw U2 in Clemson on the Popmart tour. I remember that U2 had been in the news just because they couldn't sell out stadiums, started the tour off not ready with the new songs, their album sales had tanked, etc. Did that stop me from going to Clemson? No way! I remember it like it was yesterday, and the lady who checked us into our hotel said of the concert "this traffic is nothing...you should come down here for a football game...every one of those 80,000 seats would be full". She also claimed that the sales for the concert, which were reported at about 22,000, were inflated by 50%.

All I know is that I was on the front row beside the b-stage, the sound system was incredible, the stadium was half empty but that lead to people turning the field into a GA area, and U2 rocked hard! Being so close to the stage kept me from seeing the spectacle of Popmart...I got a view of that on the Popmart from Mexico City video.

So, I'm a diehard U2 fan regardless of their popularity. You did say the music would be the same...and under that imaginary circumstance, then that's all that would matter to me!

One of the biggest thrills in my life was stumbling onto a couple of import CD's in a college music store. This was probably '95, U2 were essentially dormant, I had no idea they were even recording Passengers. Anyhow, it was the complete B-sides in two volumes. I paid roughly $35 for it, they were just dubbed off from vinyl, you can even hear cracking, but it's beautiful.

That's 35 each, $70 total. Ridiculous? Probably, but man that was like stumbling on to a gold mine, now all you need is ebay. Listen to me yearning for the old days at the crusty old age of 30.

I guess the reason I say it, is if U2 had never recorded another note after ZooTv, I would still be going into record stores looking for stuff like that. BUt because they are popular, and even subsequently released those B-sides, then it has sort of taken the fun out of it, a little.

So, it's not much fun from a collection standpoint anymore, than and the internet have made EVERYTHING so readily available.

I was a die-hard U2 fan back in 1993, but I didnt even know about Zooropa until I heard Numb on the radio. Ahhh.. the good old days.

Even if U2 were defunct, you could still get all that stuff easily.
If they had broken up after 1989, you could go back and buy up all the old stuff and make yourself a diehard fan. I still love some bands from the 80's, the Police havent made a record since 1983, and I would say they still have a LOT of die-hards.

Just ramblin.....

Last edited:
Axver said:
I'm not sure if I would have encountered U2 - my main education was on the eighties hits but the Best Ofs and ATYCLB are what set up my fanaticism - but if I had, I definitely would have followed them. I don't like these huge, fancy tours - it's about the music, not the lighting and visuals.

That's exactly how I feel (and the same for me, the Best Of's and ATYCLB drew me in)... I have tickets to hear THEM play, I could really care less about the show format...

Of course! Being a teen, there's much less of a chance of me ever being exposed to them in the first place, if that were the case, but if I were, I'd love them just as much. In fact, I think that's sort of a given---it's more the people who are fans of indie bands that have a tendancy to start liking them less when they get big! (not the other way around)...I have a friend who doesn't like Green Day anymore because they got too big.:huh:

In fact, I pretty much got into them as if they were some random small band. When I first got into them, I bought/downloaded practically all their albums plus some live stuff without ever even knowing how popular they were, the whole biggest band in the world thing...I'd heard Beautiful Day before but didn't know it was them, and other than that had never known they existed or heard any of the hype. So I got into them solely for the music, and if it had turned out that they happened to be less popular, I never would've thought twice about it.

Some of my favorite songs of all time are pre-Rattle and Hum, so I think I would have stuck with them through thick and thin. Of course, I'm a teen as well so I wasn't really capable of falling for their music then.

The politics of record labels and trash like that are not enough to stop a true love for music.

Nothing is.

I would definitely still be a fan. It wouldn't matter a bit to me if they never had a platinum album or won a single Grammy because all kinds of artists I consider to be utter crap have sold millions of albums and won Grammys. And I would love to have the opportunity to see them in a small club! :rockon:

I don't know; since I have only been a big fan since 2000, I would think I probably wouldn't have heard of them :banghead:

It's all about promotion and marketing really. There may be some artists out there who fit the musical tastes of some of the Interferencers here (the noisy minority who constantly whine about ATYCLB and HTDAAB) better than U2's music as of late. So why do these people still stick to Interference? Because they can't find these other bands. Why? Because these other bands are independent, have no record deals, or don't want to be famous. I am sure there are bands out there that if others had heard they would like better than U2.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
It's all about promotion and marketing really. There may be some artists out there who fit the musical tastes of some of the Interferencers here (the noisy minority who constantly whine about ATYCLB and HTDAAB) better than U2's music as of late. So why do these people still stick to Interference? Because they can't find these other bands. Why? Because these other bands are independent, have no record deals, or don't want to be famous. I am sure there are bands out there that if others had heard they would like better than U2.

Cheers,

J

ummm...but that wasn't the question.

jick, The title of this post was "Would you love U2 if... and the question Indra asked was
Now given the above situation would they still be relevant? Would you still be a fan? Would you still want to go see them play live (remember no flash...just the band). Or be one in the first place? Do you think you would have lost track of them (if you were a fan before they got dropped)? Or would you ever have heard of them (for those post R&H fans)?

How about sharing your personal answers to these questions if you want to participate in this thread, instead of making off-topic statements and inflammatory comments about other Interferencers. ("the noisy minority who constantly whine", etc).

This thread has been surprisingly peaceful and interesting, and I would really appreciate it not being derailed into the same old argument about who likes ATYCLB, etc etc etc.

very interesting indra.

I would still be a fan because it's the music AND {very important to me } Live performance aspect of a band/solo artist that does it for me.

Now being in NYC with a lot of people who have looked to new, independent/alt music--tho if a band goes big and still stays meaningful to me {as U2 did} I'd still be a fan-- it's somewhat easier being around more people searching for such stuff [as you posit- after u2 'got dropped].

see i found out about U2 in 1980 when one of the best indie magazine's [on newsprint] about the Punk/New wave scene in NYC New York Rocker - and later as it spread to cover the expanded scene inspired by the NYC P/NW bands getting their music out there & touring further & further away across the USA & into GB/E etc {and eventually was distributed in it's 1st or 2nd yr into Great Brtain & a few Major European cities} it's second Editir Andy Schartz would head over to GB to hear new upcoming bands.

U2 was one of them . And here's a paraphrasing of what he said about them-- in reviewing their London Club date in their ??_____for Britian Tour...." these guys have heart, ambition & anthemic songs. IF they they can hold together....they COULD make it all the way to Stadiums..." { :lol: }

Now I Love anthemic Music such as The Who & Springsteen had done- so this review caught my attention! So i was waiting for & then very impressed by IWF/OOF!

Then they did an interview with this same editor the night morning [ bleary-eyed and all]. The interview came out in May *1, so with me already following Th Who, Sprinsteen & many of the Original CBGB's bands as they scaled up the R&R ladder of Venues...I misssed U2 on thier first gigs here in nyc.

But that may 81 interview made me even more interested becuase they talked about 'giving their all' in perforemance. The whole dynamic of the R&R performer and thier audiences.
Bono partucalrly spoke about The Who and how they gave [and Pete's written alot about that ove the years] and how this could go higher & higher and practically take people [most of the audience at least] into Transcendent states of mind/emotion & even a expansive Spiritual sense!

I was one really interested new fan for U2!

And just to give an important example of a Punk artist/poet {the 'TA DA" :heart: Godmother of Punk} Patti Smith {of} the Patti Smith Group-- who WANTED to Be Famous to spread thwey music/her's& their lyrics ..;.she/they were Thrilled when "Because The NIght " was played on WABC Radio {77 AM} which NOT ONLY could be heard in the NYC Tri-state area, but on good cleR NIGHTS COULD SPREAD IT'S SIGNAL ACROSS ABOUT A WHOLE tHRID OF THE USA!

This was BIG TIME. :happy:We were all thrilled for them! And though they never 'broke through' again, I've follwed her & them through good times & bad. Probably have since her/them over 30 times since 76 - last year :D!
She took about 10 plus years off going to detroit with her beloved Fred 'sonic' Smith of the MC5 and raised their ?2 kids there. She was working on her first album in years when he died [and her brother asll within about 1-2 yrs]. But she continued on and has till today.

Ahe & they can still rock it!!! And still reach those transcent heights. Their song "dancing Barefoot' was cover by our guys. :wink: The PSG was one of {as most of you know} u2's main young influences.

Last edited:
VertigoGal said:
...it's more the people who are fans of indie bands that have a tendancy to start liking them less when they get big! (not the other way around)...I have a friend who doesn't like Green Day anymore because they got too big.:huh:

I don't think it's 'big'-ness itself that's a problem for folks like your friend, but rather the effect it has on the range of meanings an artist's work can be understood to have. Remember back during the Yugoslav war, when both pro- and anti- Milosevic demonstrations featured rock bands covering (among others) U2 songs? On the one hand, U2's music was a plea to end the rape, carnage and genocide and fight for peace; on the other, it was a stirring summons to commit all the above (except peace!) in the name of national glory. U2 heard about this and weren't happy, but what could they do? They had no control over how people interpreted their music, especially in a war zone.

That would never have happened to an 'underground' band.

It's an extreme example, of course. But I think it illustrates well how rock music(ians) get(s) bound up in young people's fantasies about 'changing the world'...and how hard it is to cast those fantasies aside and hear it as 'just music.' (In fact, it's impossible to do so--it's like asking what 'really' makes a great novel great, its story or its use of language.) And the larger the audience an artist's music 'speaks to,' the more diverse and contradictory the fantasies it's bound up in will be.

Bono often says that U2 aimed to be 'the biggest band in the world' from the outset, but their pre-JT output (I'm counting tours and public appearances here, as well as albums) really doesn't support that claim very well. A concept album about war with an overtly anti-nuclear, pacifist stance; headlining an Amnesty International tour with a frequently anti-US-government message; a singer who rushed around onstage waving a giant white flag, without the slightest hint of irony: these weren't the sort of things you did in the early '80s if your goal was to top the charts regularly, and not surprisingly, they didn't. U2 were cursed (or blessed, depending on your perspective) with being 'the biggest underground band in the world,' as Rolling Stone called them when reviewing JT.

But precisely because they held that status, U2 had become a powerful symbol of hope--and resistance--for thousands of (primarily left-leaning) young people in the US and Europe. U2 were the 1980s version of 'the soundtrack for the Revolution'--a 1960s dream about the transformative potential of music that has (sadly) become increasingly untenable and vulnerable to ridicule with each passing decade.

It's no wonder that so many fans who came to love U2 during that period find their nostalgia for it to be a bit painful, laden as it is with the realization that that sense of limitless possiblities for a better world was nothing more than arrogant, youthful naivete. On the other hand, with the memory of that kind of head rush as a basis for all future comparisons, it has to be said that the 'thrill' of U2, the Multi-Million-Selling Hit Factory!!! falls rather flat.

Success on the world's terms is nice, but uncompromising rebellion was a lot sexier!

Back
Top Bottom