Would You Like The New Album To Be Experimental? Let's Take A Vote...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
I few clarifications:

Someone said that U2 has never been experimental. It depends which definition you are using. I personally believe that if at anytime you are stretching out into any kind of sound or structure you are unfamiliar with, you are then "experimenting". So, like I said, U2 did experiment on ATYCLB, but not in the same way they usually have. This time, they did so while also reaching back.

But haven't they done it to some extent on every single of their albums? U2 certainly didn't come from nowhere, no matter how poetic it may sound. Bono himself said in some interview I've read a while ago how, while listening to "Boy" now, he can pick out their early influences like The Ramones and other artists. There are gazillions of songs with structures like "I Will Follow" that were written before U2, just as there are gazillions of songs with structures like "Stuck". So distinguishing ATYCLB from the rest of the U2 albums on the basis you've described doesn't really make a lot of sense, unless you're making that distinction just because ATYCLB's influences are more "mainstream", even though it stands out from the R&B, teen pop and nu-metal mainstream of -today- just like any other U2 album did in the past.

On an "experimentation" subject: I've met with a lot of instances when, while agreeing with the definition you've described, people seemed to have a lot of bias towards experimenting specifically with electronic/dance/techno music. I've heard people gush endlessly about U2's "pioneering spirit in the 90s", talking about how experimental that music was, while giving no credit whatsoever to their 80s albums which had no less musical changes and growth on them.

Originally posted by Saracene:

On an "experimentation" subject: I've met with a lot of instances when, while agreeing with the definition you've described, people seemed to have a lot of bias towards experimenting specifically with electronic/dance/techno music. I've heard people gush endlessly about U2's "pioneering spirit in the 90s", talking about how experimental that music was, while giving no credit whatsoever to their 80s albums which had no less musical changes and growth on them.

Very true.

UF to me is the album that sounds most like it came out of nowhere. I'm sure it didn't, but it doesn't really remind me of anything else I know in rock, especially certain songs. The "out of nowhere" quality on that album is one of the things I love about it. It still has great, beautiful songs, as well.

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

We've been here before.

I want it to be darker, harder, more raw and more direct.

Or lighter, breezier, throwaway and electronic.

So basically, Achtung Baby, Zooropa or Pop.

But please God, no more ATYCLB!!!

If I had my choice, it would definitely be for U2 to experiment with the next album. I am one of those people that wants to hear them try indo-celtic trance music, or some other crazy foray into different musical disciplines.

Why not? We already know they can rock it hard because they proved it a thousand times in the past. I admit it - I loved the experimentation of Pop. I loved Zooropa. I love the f'n falsetto. I say push the damn envelope and see where it leads you. At least then you had the guts to try something that interested you. U2 has already established themselves in the pop rock genre. No need to go down that road again, unless a tune comes up that is too good not to release. But it better fit into the context of the next album. Otherwise, make it a B-side and call it a day.

U2 should push it because, as Bono himself said, they are "about the impossible". They will only create more mind-blowing music if they continue to push it. If not, it will be a Rolling Stones type of decline and I am sure we would all *love* to see them wilt away like that....(not).

AJ

Originally posted by Saracene:
But haven't they done it to some extent on every single of their albums? U2 certainly didn't come from nowhere, no matter how poetic it may sound. Bono himself said in some interview I've read a while ago how, while listening to "Boy" now, he can pick out their early influences like The Ramones and other artists. There are gazillions of songs with structures like "I Will Follow" that were written before U2, just as there are gazillions of songs with structures like "Stuck". So distinguishing ATYCLB from the rest of the U2 albums on the basis you've described doesn't really make a lot of sense, unless you're making that distinction just because ATYCLB's influences are more "mainstream", even though it stands out from the R&B, teen pop and nu-metal mainstream of -today- just like any other U2 album did in the past.

Saracene,

True, U2 have been influenced, to some degree, on every album. They've never lived in an absolute vacuum. What I meant was, relatively speaking (in relation to other bands at the time), they were perhaps the most isolated band in the mainstream. Their sound was very different, overall, to anyone else -- including the Ramones. Of course they had some influences (they used to play a lot of Ramones convers before they became U2, and they also appreciated The Clash), but their sound was different.

It actually says something that, only now, can Bono hear the influences of the Ramones on the Boy album. They must be quite subtle for Bono, who adores the music of The Ramones, to have never really heard them in his music until now.

As far as 'I Will Follow' being a typical song structure, I do pretty much agree, but that was the only song that actually did much on the charts from the entire album. Even U2's first single, 'Out of Control' didn't climb as high as they hoped. As far as the rest of the album was concerned, the sound was very new, and took some getting used to. 'I Will Follow' opened that door, and only then did people "follow".

I used 'Stuck' as only one example on ATYCLB that has a generic pop song structure. Pretty much the entire album is filled with such songs (with the exceptions of 'New York' and 'Grace'). On no other fully studio effort has U2 done this (where 90% of the album is written in a traditional pop song structure). That's my point. (And, remember, it's not a bad thing.)

While ATYCLB stands out from the current mainstream climate, as all of their albums have respectively, it is now doing so by reaching back into a previously mainstream climate. The only difference is, the style of the songs are contemporary this time. On previous albums, it wasn't merely that the style was new (and/or U2), but it was also the sound and, in many cases, the structure.

Regarding the popular opinion that U2 only experimented in the 90s, I adamently disagree as well. U2 hired Brian Eno back in 1984 for a reason. They wanted to venture out from the rock music they were duplicating (or so it seemed to them) up to and around the War era. They ventured out into slippery territory, even though they were on the verge of becoming big. They took more of a risk then than they did many years later with Achtung Baby, in this sense. (I suppose they believed the cliche: "The biggest risk is not taking one." Well, it worked.) The 90s were more about electronic experimentation. The 80s were more about what the band could do with a simple guitar, drums, bass, yearning vocals, and the right equipment -- maybe not much has changed afterall
wink.gif
. So, yes, U2 have always experimented (see above).
smile.gif

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 05-25-2002).]

Originally posted by u2utah:
Depends on what you mean by "experimental".
Seems a lot of folks think that term means "like Pop or Zooropa", but since they already did that they wouldn't be "experimenting" anymore now would they?

It's good to be careful what you wish for so I won't give a blanket vote just for "experimental". I'd be none to happy if they "experimented" with bluegrass
wink.gif

Exactly!!!!

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

Yeah, I've never really understood the argument that "U2 shouldn't experiment because they've already done that with Zooropa and Pop, and therefore they'd be repeating themselves." Hello?? Does that make any sense at all? It's pretty much the same thing as saying that we can't physically move ahead by using our feet anymore because we've always used our feet to do that. I guess we should stand still for the rest of lives if we want to progress. Absolutely no logic whatsoever.
wink.gif

------------------
The Tempest

I just wish that they could realize that Zooropa and Pop were one of *many* albums that were experimental. Ah, I swear, it's the daylight that gets me through...

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 05-25-2002).]

Experimental. U2 have always tried new things with each new album, so I very much doubt that history won't repeat itself. I also think it's safe to say that their mission won't be to make another Pop or Zooropa, but I think their new album will explore rougher areas compared to the poppy tunes of ATYCLB.

If I were a part of the band and had a say in the direction of the upcoming album I'd choose to mix up the results. Part experimental and part traditional. Of course that's the way U2 have usually directed their projects. This can be seen in ATYCLB (Experimental: Elevation, Wild Honey, In a Little While. Traditional: Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite), Pop (Experimental: Mofo, Miami, Discotheque, Traditional: Last Night On Earth, Staring at the Sun, If God Will Send His Angels), Zooropa (Experimental: Zooropa, Numb, Lemon, Traditional: Stay, Dirty Day), Achtung Baby (Experimental: The Fly, Mysterious Ways. Traditional: One, Who's Gonna Ride...)

With this in mind I think we'll see more rock-oriented songs along the lines of Elevation, Beautiful Day, and Last Night on Earth, with fewer traditional pop-love songs like Stuck in a Moment, Grace, Wild Honey and In A Little While.

i want rock
i want guitars
guitars that make me giddy
i want larry's foot hard up bono's arse
i want a heavy album from a heavy band

rock will save the world
u2 forever

------------------
Cowgirl of Funk

Back
Top Bottom