Would you let your kids listen to U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cell

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Ok, some might think this is a lame question, but most recently I heard my daughter singing to herself Mysterious Ways, especially the Irving Plaza version. You know...the last verse...the 'sexual healing' part? yeah that part:|

I think U2 is a hell of a lot better for kids to listen to than some other songs/artists out there. :|

icelle said:
Mysterious Ways, the Irving Plaza version. You know...the last verse...the 'sexual healing' part? yeah that part:|

a fan for nineteen years, yet i have no idea what this means. :| enlighten me.

i am glad my daughter knows most of u2's songs. they are a band that will obviously be remembered as legendary, and she will be able to say "yeah, my mom was a HUGE u2 fan" when she gets older. bono's lyrics are generally harmless. i wouldn't worry. maybe just keep her from hearing this version of mysterious ways.

i'd like to hear it, though :hmm:

yeah, i mean u2's music is what i'd rather have my daughter listen to, but there are some songs i wouldnt go so far as to let her sing along to lol...

bg, you should listen to the irving plaza bootleg. bono does a bit of marvin gaye at the end of mysterious ways, singing some verses of 'sexual healing' at the end of the song.

well, like which ones wouldn't you like her to sing along to?

*wonders if she's a bad parent for letting chelsea sing along with bono*

most songs from Achtung Baby is off limits to Daisy.

Today she popped in the Pop cd and listened to the whole thing. I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry because I was so proud...

icelle said:
most songs from Achtung Baby is off limits to Daisy.

Today she popped in the Pop cd and listened to the whole thing. I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry because I was so proud...

poor daisy...no achtung.

:confused: and the pop album has the word "fuck" on it...oh, hell. who am i to talk? chelsea saw run lola run. :silent:

*is bad parent*

i am so strict with what daisy watches on tv, and what she listens to. i haven't heard the pop album in a long time, so...i dont know...lol

im just a bit confused...

I would.

I think back to some of the stuff I used to listen to...I hear it on the radio every so often, and it's like, damn...I had no clue what these songs were talking about back then. I used to sing along to Madonna's "Express Yourself"...Tone Loc's "Wild Thing"...stuff like that.

Look at me! I turned out fine!!!!

*pause*

On second thought..........................

I just have to say this one of the cutest threads i've read in a while......as for offensive lyrics, maybe some bootleg versions have tiny bits we don't want kids to listen to but seeing my 14 yr old sister and how she doesn't understand most of U2's lyrics, I'd say it's not a problem.....

Anyhow it's much much (can't emphasize on much enough!!LOL!!) than other stuff out there.

BrittanyNova said:
I don't think there's anything inappropriate in any of their music. Anything that might be discreetly dirty is something no little kid would pay attention to or get anyway.

Exactly. Most little kids sing along to songs without really paying attention to what the lyrics mean.

Hell, I just found out what the Stones' "Brown Sugar" was about a few years ago. Until then, I'd listen to the song happily, and then a few years ago, I caught some of the lyrics, and it hit me: "Ohhhh...."

Kids will only get curious about the music if the parents make a big deal out of the words and immediately forbid their kids to listen to the music.

So yeah, I would definitely let my kids listen to U2.

I just think restrictions on what kids can hear or see is pointless, personally. They will learn about this stuff eventually, might as well just let 'em know it exists now. I wouldn't consider someone a bad parent for not being strict with what their kids watch or hear.

But that's just my opinion. :shrug:. This could have to do with the fact that my parents were never strict with what I watched or listened to (for cripes' sake, I watched "Beavis and Butt-head" when I was a little kid!).

Angela

wavesofregret stole my idea :mad:

*thinking of reregistering with the name wavesofjoy*

My parents let me listen to U2. They think that it's better than the rap, etc because there are almost no curses(the only 1 I can think of is in the shithouse a shotgun), and even though a lot of teir songs are about drugs, my parents don't really care. I sometimes let them listen to my U2 cd's so they know what i'm listening to, but that's about it. Also- my mom has read numerous articles in the newspaper about Bono and his work with AIDS, which I think she likes because it's better than the 100% self obsessed singers, like Britney Spears

when you're little, you're going to pick up all sorts of things no matter what kind of music you listen to. if you've got your kids listening to u2, then that's great. a lot less swearing, a lot less talk about whores and shaking asses than in the rap that my little brother's friends listen to, and you want them to have good taste in music, right?

I'm fifteen, I listen to U2. My parents aren't fans, and I first started listening to them when I was about 12 or 13. I think some of the fans here on this board, my age or not, have started listening to U2 when they were even younger.

As for whether I'd let my kids listen to U2, that's a really silly question. Of course not! If I do get lucky and they come and do a concert here, there'll be limited room and unfortunately ONLY ONE PERSON from my family can go, and that had bloody well be ME. :D

Just kidding. I think U2 is a band for all ages, whose lyrics can be applied to many situations in life that you face, no matter what your age is.

My kids started listening to U2 when they were 6 & 8 years old. They were taken to their very first concert, U2 in San Jose on 4/20/01, when they were 9 & 11. They fight over my ATYCLB CD, so I made a copy of it so they could each play it in their room. I don't worry about them picking up swear words, they've heard them before (even from me) but they know that I don't want them using them indiscriminately.

:)

I dunno...for me, I can't say I was ever too monitored what I listen to - then again, I was never into curse-down-with-women-I-don't-care-at-all-and-I'm-so-tough world that is rap/hip hop.
First stuff I liked was the Beatles, bit of Elvis, some Sinatra, Roy Orbison, Queen, then U2.

(I should mention at first I didn't get all the lyrics as my English wasn't taught yet...mostly I was into the melodies and the voices)

Both of my kids never had a chance. They have been listening to U2 ever since mom's belly started to show. Now, if my 2 1/2 year old daughter want to rap the Bullet bit from Elevation, who am I to stop her! :applaud:

I used to work with someone who let her kids listen to anything they wanted to. And I mean anything. They were boys about 4 & 9. Both of the swore and made sexual referrences all the time. My coworker thought it was funny and nothing they wouldn't pick up at school or the playground. It made me sick to be around her kids an listen to them talk like that.

I think even at U2's worst in terms of language used, it's still better than a lot of other stuff out there.

u2's music is fine, bono's award show acceptance speeches is another matter altogether

i see what you all are saying, its not like im saying "no! you can't put that cd in!!" because i'd lose, big time. im the one who sang all the u2 songs to my baby when she was newborn, and im the one who gave her the cd's.

it was just embarrassing to hear her sing something that had a sexual reference in a song. in front of MY mother...who wasn't too happy...you get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom