Would U2 do what Bon Jovi's doing tonight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougal55

War Child
Hi!

I read The Times (London) yesterday and saw an article about a Bon Jovi being beamed live to cinemas around the UK and Europe. Here's the (shortened) article:

"Headline: Live rock beamed to a cinema near you :uhoh:

By Adam Sherwin

Rock music fans who are used to travelling miles to their idols from the back of a vast arena or the middle of a muddy field may soon be able to enjoy the action live on screen in the comfort of their local cinema.

Europe's first live rock cinema show will be beamed across the continent from London tomorrow (thats today, folks!). When Bon Jovi take to the stage at the Shepherd's Bush Empire, the 1,500 fans inside the venue will be just a fraction of the total audience.

A satellite will transmit the show live into 11 UCI cinemas around Britain, where beer will replace popcorn at the refreshment counter. Audiences will also be packed into cinemas in Berlin, Prague and Budapest.

As well as the cinema screening to 8,000 fans, the show is being streamed by websites across 63 countries, giving it the potentially the largest audience yet for a single concert. (Note: U2 has done a gig on the net last year from Notre Dame)"

Now the question is......Would U2 do that kind of thing in the future for those who missed out on getting tickets to the gigs? I can understand why Bon Jovi is doing it cos they are desperate for all kinds of publicity for the band's profile, I guess!

But U2? Hmmm, Im not sure.....Id prefer to leave the concept of watching U2 in cinemas alone (except for Rattle and Hum the movie, of course! :D) cos I would feel a bit detached from the whole experience as opposed to actually being there, you know what I mean? For many of us (including myself) who actually saw U2 live on stage, Im sure you would agree with this view..... But if U2 cant meet the demand of fans everywhere (remember almost every gig on their Elevation arena tour was sold out and would have been sold out a couple of times over at some places) then I sure would understand if U2 decides to do it...... Besides if the rumours are anything to be believed, the next U2 tour will probably involve stadiums so they may not need that anyway....

So what are your views on this new concept? (Actually its not very new as rock band, Korn has done it in the USA in 37 cinemas across the country back in May this year)

dougal

I get just excited watching U2 videos on my TV at home...I would love to see them on the big screen!

They used to do something similar to that back in the day. When my mom was a teenager, she would go to theaters to see films of Beatles concerts. Bands didn't tour as much then as they do now, so it provided a really great opportunity for fans who might not otherwise get the chance to see what a Beatles concert would be like.

Well I definitely wouldn't go to see everyone's favorite fake-rockers Bon Jovi thats for sure!!:D :D :D :D It is an interesting concept though.:yes:

i wouldn't put anything past U2 anymore really, since they always surprise us. :D

i'd love it if they did this. they hate memphis now :( so i'd love to see them in concert like that. even if they showed the elevation dvd there, i'd still go cuz nothing beats seeing movies at a theatre! (beats looking at it on a computer monitor or 25" tv!)

dougal55 said:
Hi!

Now the question is......Would U2 do that kind of thing in the future for those who missed out on getting tickets to the gigs? I can understand why Bon Jovi is doing it cos they are desperate for all kinds of publicity for the band's profile, I guess!

Bon Jovi are HUGE outside America. They aren't doing these things because they are desperate for publicity. No matter how desperate you are, if you aren't sellable anymore no one will give you the publicity you want. Bon Jovi was invited to headline the Winter Olympics and the NFL season opener among others. Around the world, except America which doesn't love the Jersey boys, Bon Jovi are still a stadium act. I think Bon Jovi is doing a great service for their fans. U2 didn't handle the Slane thing too well, and the Slane 2 show had a much abridged setlist. U2 cancelled POPMart Raleigh and their second Elevation Europe leg. Maybe U2 can learn a tip or two from Bon Jovi when it comes to treating fans, and maybe Bon Jovi can learn a little something from U2 when it comes to writing good music. U2 did attend a Bon Jovi concert a couple of years back and they were hangng out backstage after the show. Bon Jovi also did a moving tribute to U2 by closing their set with "One" when they visited Dublin and played in a stadium there. Even if Bon Jovi isn't a hometown hero in Dublin, they can still fill stadiums there.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Re: Re: Would U2 do what Bon Jovi's doing tonight?

jick said:

Bon Jovi are HUGE outside America. They aren't doing these things because they are desperate for publicity. No matter how desperate you are, if you aren't sellable anymore no one will give you the publicity you want. Bon Jovi was invited to headline the Winter Olympics and the NFL season opener among others. Around the world, except America which doesn't love the Jersey boys, Bon Jovi are still a stadium act. I think Bon Jovi is doing a great service for their fans. U2 didn't handle the Slane thing too well, and the Slane 2 show had a much abridged setlist. U2 cancelled POPMart Raleigh and their second Elevation Europe leg. Maybe U2 can learn a tip or two from Bon Jovi when it comes to treating fans, and maybe Bon Jovi can learn a little something from U2 when it comes to writing good music. U2 did attend a Bon Jovi concert a couple of years back and they were hangng out backstage after the show. Bon Jovi also did a moving tribute to U2 by closing their set with "One" when they visited Dublin and played in a stadium there. Even if Bon Jovi isn't a hometown hero in Dublin, they can still fill stadiums there.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

LMAO...U2 learn a "tip or two" from Bon Jovi?...I needed the laugh before I went back to work.

Why do so many U2 fans hate Bon Jovi so much? They're really not that bad. Save the hatred for someone who really deserves it. I'm really kind of bored by all the hatreds U2 fans seem to feel they must exhibit. Bon Jovi, Creed, etc etc...it's like the U2 fans can't stand the idea that other people could like other bands as much or more than U2. I suggest we get over it.

As for what they're doing, I think it's kind of a cool idea.

Bon Jovi are fake-rock...just like these modern-day bands:

Creed
Sum41
Every nu-metal band

The modern-day nu-metal genre is just our equivalent of the dreadful '80s hair-metal genre..its all very corporate, safe, and manufactured.

the fact that bon jovi covered "one" makes me want cut my eardrums out with a rusty switchblade.

that must've been the most awful cover....ever.

:censored: :down: :barf:

Wow, that would be a great idea if U2 did that. I wouldn't mind paying 7-8 dollars to see a live concert in a cinema, I am sure it would be a neat experience.

scatteroflight said:
Why do so many U2 fans hate Bon Jovi so much? They're really not that bad. Save the hatred for someone who really deserves it. I'm really kind of bored by all the hatreds U2 fans seem to feel they must exhibit. Bon Jovi, Creed, etc etc...it's like the U2 fans can't stand the idea that other people could like other bands as much or more than U2. I suggest we get over it.

For one, I can't stand their music...everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and that's mine. It's mostly a musical preference, and in the two bands you named, I see an 80's hair-metal-turned-sensitive rock band which couldn't shake it's past musical style if it wanted to, and a Pearl Jam rip-off...A lot of people like them, and thats cool...it's just not my "cup of tea" for many, many reasons.

I really like Bon Jovi , and I don't know why so many u2 fans hate them.

I mean, no they're not "deep" and their lyrics are not on a par with Bono or even close, but they are a good concert band and they treat their fans decently and always have.

I think to compare them to Creed and Sum 41 is unfair.

oktobergirl said:
I really like Bon Jovi , and I don't know why so many u2 fans hate them.

I mean, no they're not "deep" and their lyrics are not on a par with Bono or even close, but they are a good concert band and they treat their fans decently and always have.

I think to compare them to Creed and Sum 41 is unfair.

I don't. I think they are little more than a pop group dressed up as a rock band. Also I'm sure one of the songs from their last album was written (or co-written) by a person who wrote songs for The Backstreet Boys. That tells you all you need to know about Bon Jovi. Oh and the "One Wild Night" song was horrendous....the video was totally MTV teenybopper-style, terrible.

IMO bon jovi is a good band. they have good songs. and why if bon jovi does it it is beacuse they are in desperate need of publicity and if u2 does it it is because they are sensitive tto their fans needs??? really bon jovi is a good band, not better than u2 but they're good. sambora is a very good guitarist. and bon jovi has grat songs, theyre most recent single isnt very impressive but i have faith that the boys will ive up to their name.
has anyone of u actually heard a whole bon jovi record?? i have. they are good.

Whats The Story? said:
Bon Jovi are fake-rock...just like these modern-day bands:

Creed
Sum41
Every nu-metal band

The modern-day nu-metal genre is just our equivalent of the dreadful '80s hair-metal genre..its all very corporate, safe, and manufactured.

Bon Jovi's Crush album sold 2 million in America and 8 million worldwide. I'd like to see Creed or Sum41 do that 20 years into their career. Even REM couldn't sell that much 20 years into their career.

Bon Jovi, despite their age, were still tipped to do NFL Season Opener, and the Winter Olympics - both very high profile events. Don't forget they were also among the acts in the Concert for NY and America: Tribute To Heroes.

If they are indeed manufactured fake-rock as you'd claim, then it just adds to the lore of Bon Jovi. You'd never find a fake-rock band that has been around selling records for this long. In the "real-rock" scene, you'll not find anyone else, except U2!

Cheers,

J

Thats very clever, equating quality of music with commercial sales....:rolleyes: The fact Bon Jovi sell a lot of records means jack shit. N'Sync sell millions, so do a myriad of other crap pop bands!

yes, bon jovi is a band that actually plays their instruments, puts on a good show for their fans, and is very popular. but that doesn't take away from the fact that their music is extremly corny, complete with cliched lyrics, jeans that are too tight, and a background that gives certain new jerseyans a bad name.

let's get this straight: they are not important to music in the least, and that's exactly what jon is trying to do for the last 2 years: to say "hey, we've been around a long time....we're important".

not a chance buttrocker.:D :down:

They're about as important as the Backstreet Boys. They haven't got an ounce of rock n roll coursing through them!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

jick said:

Bon Jovi's Crush album sold 2 million in America and 8 million worldwide. I'd like to see Creed or Sum41 do that 20 years into their career. Even REM couldn't sell that much 20 years into their career.

Bon Jovi, despite their age, were still tipped to do NFL Season Opener, and the Winter Olympics - both very high profile events. Don't forget they were also among the acts in the Concert for NY and America: Tribute To Heroes.

If they are indeed manufactured fake-rock as you'd claim, then it just adds to the lore of Bon Jovi. You'd never find a fake-rock band that has been around selling records for this long. In the "real-rock" scene, you'll not find anyone else, except U2!

Cheers,

J

You'd never find a fake-rock band that been around for 20+years selling records for this long?

Aerosmith.

JOFO said:
the fact that bon jovi covered "one" makes me want cut my eardrums out with a rusty switchblade.

that must've been the most awful cover....ever.

:censored: :down: :barf:

That is very funny. :laugh:

Bon Jovi may sell millions of records, but they can't compete many other bands who play real rock and roll who don't sell in a career what BJ ;) sells on 1 album. Bands like The Ramones, The Velvet Underground, The Breeders, The Smithereens, Jane's Addiction, Wilco, Sonic Youth, The Minutemen, Screaming Trees, Mazzy Star....I can name a band for each piece of listless commercial pap that Bon Jovi was lucky enough to commit to tape.

I'm sure that you might even see some of the above bands inducted into the R N R Hall Of fame one day...some all ready are. BJ never will because a) they consistantly release dated syrupy mindless drivel & b) they suck.

The only way you will see Bon Jovi in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is if they cater it.

PS-Nothing personal if you like Bon Jovi. Any music makes you happy is a good thing. :)

I still think they suck. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom