Would U2 do what Bon Jovi's doing tonight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Goodness me!

It seems that I had inadvertently started a debate about how good Bon Jovi is compared to U2. I only wanted to know what you think of seeing U2 live in the cinema but never mind!

Hmmm, to give my penny's worth, though I do respect people's different tastes, in my honest opinion Bon Jovi is not that good as a band but thats just me, I guess. Im also aware that they are popular too but so is U2 and they are a far far far far far far faaaaaaaarrrrr better live band than Bon Jovi will ever be!

As for Bon Jovi's music itself, at the very beginning it was good but now just plain crap but thats just me.....Im sorry but I just cant see myself being converted to Bon Jovi.......

Anyway, U2 still rocks as far as im concerned!

dougal

scatteroflight said:
Why do so many U2 fans hate Bon Jovi so much? They're really not that bad. Save the hatred for someone who really deserves it. I'm really kind of bored by all the hatreds U2 fans seem to feel they must exhibit. Bon Jovi, Creed, etc etc...it's like the U2 fans can't stand the idea that other people could like other bands as much or more than U2. I suggest we get over it.

As for what they're doing, I think it's kind of a cool idea.

I don't understand it either:confused: Why are Bon Jovi and Creed bashed so badly here instead of someone who deserves it? Yes what they're doing is a cool idea. Bon Jovi does care about his fans. Two stories as examples:

Bon Jovi noticed that the same group of girls was following the band around on the US tour. He saw them in the same spots every night, but he didn't get annoyed, quite the opposite. He had them brought to him, and he told them to stop wasting all their money following him around, if he meant that much to them, the rest of the tour was on him!! He gave them free VIP passes to the rest of the tour's shows!!

Did you see the Bon Jovi fanclub episode on VH-1? There was a middle aged lady called Bon-Joni who hurt her leg at one of his shows. Bon Jovi's Mom saw her and comforted her. She asked for her phone number and promised to call her the next day and check on her. But when the phone rang, it wasn't Jon's Mom, it was Jon himself! How sweet! (even if his Mom probably did bug him to do it:D)

Whats The Story? said:
Bon Jovi are fake-rock...just like these modern-day bands:

Creed
Sum41
Every nu-metal band

The modern-day nu-metal genre is just our equivalent of the dreadful '80s hair-metal genre..its all very corporate, safe, and manufactured.

Apples and oranges are being mixed here. Maybe you're lumping everyone you hate into the same heap, but it's not right. Bon Jovi are more on the level of U2 than any of those bands you listed. Creed is a hard rock band, Sum41 stupid, crappy punks, and nu-metal its own pathetic genre. However, none of these are 'corporate, packaged, or safe.' That would be the boy bands, girl moaners and other teen pop. The only connection between 80's hair metal and nu-metal is that they both seem to be a rash of bands that all look and sound alike copying each other because it's popular. In the 80's it was hair metal, the 90's it was grunge and now it's nu-metal. It happens in every decade, it's just that nu-metal sucks so much worse than anything that came before.

Even if bands have copied each other, there is always an original, a prototype that was successful that gave them all the idea. I don't know who started the nu-metal phase because I haven't followed it so I can't comment accurately. But as a teenager in the 80's I watched that music develop. Bon Jovi and Motley Crue were the first, original of what became the 'hair' bands. Def Leppard was very good in the early 80's before there ever was a 'hair metal' era. Back then it was new wave and bands like Human League and Flock of Seagulls. Def Leppard and Bon Jovi in 83-84 were just bands who played rock who happened to have long hair and wear tight pants (as all rock stars should IMO *sigh*) They were original, possibly drawing from influences of their 70's heroes. The whole 'hair metal' and copycat bands did not happen until after Poison hit the scene much later, around '87. Personally, I was damn glad to see the long haired, guitar wailing, leather wearing, head banging, ass kicking rock and roll come back and take over again. Some of those bands were very good, and I hate to see them joked on. They are much better than the tuneless nu-metal and raplike rock of today.

Re: Re: Would U2 do what Bon Jovi's doing tonight?

jick said:
U2 cancelled POPMart Raleigh...Maybe U2 can learn a tip or two from Bon Jovi when it comes to treating fans

They canceled Raleigh because the video screen broke, NOT because of ticket sales. And U2 know just how to treat their fans well.

i know here in cincinnati ohio they have omnimax screens which are stories tall and the screen surrounds you almost. they did have a rolling stones concert on it for a while it would be neat to see zoo tv or popmart concert on them. but you never know if that will happen. i honestly dont think that u2 would do a current or live concert on something like this because they dont need it. they are too big for what bon jovi is doing.

U2Kitten said:

Apples and oranges are being mixed here. Maybe you're lumping everyone you hate into the same heap, but it's not right. Bon Jovi are more on the level of U2 than any of those bands you listed. Creed is a hard rock band, Sum41 stupid, crappy punks, and nu-metal its own pathetic genre. However, none of these are 'corporate, packaged, or safe.' That would be the boy bands, girl moaners and other teen pop. The only connection between 80's hair metal and nu-metal is that they both seem to be a rash of bands that all look and sound alike copying each other because it's popular. In the 80's it was hair metal, the 90's it was grunge and now it's nu-metal. It happens in every decade, it's just that nu-metal sucks so much worse than anything that came before.

Even if bands have copied each other, there is always an original, a prototype that was successful that gave them all the idea. I don't know who started the nu-metal phase because I haven't followed it so I can't comment accurately. But as a teenager in the 80's I watched that music develop. Bon Jovi and Motley Crue were the first, original of what became the 'hair' bands. Def Leppard was very good in the early 80's before there ever was a 'hair metal' era. Back then it was new wave and bands like Human League and Flock of Seagulls. Def Leppard and Bon Jovi in 83-84 were just bands who played rock who happened to have long hair and wear tight pants (as all rock stars should IMO *sigh*) They were original, possibly drawing from influences of their 70's heroes. The whole 'hair metal' and copycat bands did not happen until after Poison hit the scene much later, around '87. Personally, I was damn glad to see the long haired, guitar wailing, leather wearing, head banging, ass kicking rock and roll come back and take over again. Some of those bands were very good, and I hate to see them joked on. They are much better than the tuneless nu-metal and raplike rock of today.

Wrong. The '80s hair bands had not an ounce or true rock and roll danger about them, they were Zeppelin-lite, marketed as rock and roll but really they were =n't rock and roll at all. And nu-metal, and so-called US punk is definitely manufactured. Ever notice how they all look the same? How copycat bands spring up all over the place that have been dressed up by stylists to look "alternative" when in reality they are as alternative as Bon Jovi? They are also marketed towards angsty teens, Limp Bizkit are a good example. a band that tries to be angry etc but has nothing to really speak about. Its manufactured angst and thats why these bands are exactly the same as the manufactured teen-pop bands, they just have a different image and different musical style thats all. Below the surface they are marketed in the exact same way.

Even he hates Bon Jovi! now stop it T

trex.gif

Back
Top Bottom