Would this make Bono quit his day job?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
I've seen this and the Nobel Peace Prize stuff in the news everywhere, but getting Snow's endorsement, which seems 100% legitimate, might, just might, give Bono a shot at the job. Read this first:

http://www.forbes.com/facesinthenews/2005/03/07/0307autofacescan03.html?partner=rss

This started in the LA times a few weeks ago, I think. Now it's a story that's gained momentum and has been in the Wall Street Journal and Forbes magazine, at least. Musically, and with this tour looking like it's going to be one massive production, U2 have a unique chance to go out on top, with a legacy as one of the top bands of all time. Plus, if Bono got into a position like this, he'd have a much bigger pulpit to campaign from...even if he just took the job and put U2 on hold for a while.

Regardless, IF he ever really was offered the job, would he take it? Should he take it? :confused:

I think he should take the job if he wants it. He's been a musician/poet for nearly 30 years, and everyone needs to try new things. He's given the world great entertainment for nearly 25 years and maybe he should answer a higher calling if it comes his way.

But honestly, does ANYONE think he'll get the job? This is a huge undertaking, not like running the state of California or the USA; where we saw two maladroits gain power, this is the bloody world, man! THE WORLD!

Don't think it will happen, but its nice just to be on the final list for him surely.

I think he's already half given up the day job anyway. It seems to me on the last 2 albums he has been the one that has been least involved with all his outside distractions. The band are nearly on the verge of calling it a day anyway, with Larry wanting to be an actor as well.

As far as I know, Snow said that the job is almost guaranteed to an American (something about foreign finance ministers calling him and telling him) - so despite any remarks by him about Bono - I have a feeling he won't be offered the job.

I haven't heard anything about Bono wanting the job - but if he wants it, and is offered it, I don't see how he could turn it down...

I can see Bono doing something like this in about 10 years. But I think his creative side still has too much to offer the world, and you can't bank on U2 being able to make great albums forever.

why do they say the one should be an american? what´s wrong with irish? it´s not that there´s something wrong with american people, but there are other countries...:shrug:

*sofia* said:
why do they say the one should be an american? what´s wrong with irish? it´s not that there´s something wrong with american people, but there are other countries...:shrug:

The World Bank President is always American
The International Monetary Fund President is always European

Just some mutual international politics agreement.

I could see Bono doing something like this in the future. I hope he does because he is amazing at getting all types of people together to effect change. I agree with madonna's child... I think maybe 10 years or so from now.

He shouldn't take the job. Does he really know a lot about economics?

I think that he should do a Peter Garrett and go into politics once U2 call it a day.

But U2 should call it a day in 2010, and release 4 more albums. They got a lot of creativity left in them

intedomine said:
He shouldn't take the job. Does he really know a lot about economics?

I think that he should do a Peter Garrett and go into politics once U2 call it a day.

But U2 should call it a day in 2010, and release 4 more albums. They got a lot of creativity left in them

Four by 2010? We're talking u2. Maybe they'll finish one.

u2granny said:

Four by 2010? We're talking u2. Maybe they'll finish one.

Yeh that's what worries me. But I think U2 should strive for at least 3 more albums because to have 14 or 15 albums behind you is an amazing achievement.
Particulalrly when they embrace so many styles of music.

And the best of 2000-2010 would have plenty of music to choose from if there were 4 or 5 albums released in the decade.

RA-D said:

:lmao: :lmao:
I'll second that! That's the funniest article I've read about this issue, yet. and believe me I've read numerous.

This would drive Bono crazy... Besides the commute, which he wouldn't do everyday - he can do so much more by being out there bringing attention to what needs to be done, rather than trying to crunch the numbers and sift through the the political bull****.

However, it will be an American and unless Bono has become an American citizen somewhere down the line, it's not going to happen. :wink:

intedomine said:

Yeh that's what worries me. But I think U2 should strive for at least 3 more albums because to have 14 or 15 albums behind you is an amazing achievement.
Particulalrly when they embrace so many styles of music.

And the best of 2000-2010 would have plenty of music to choose from if there were 4 or 5 albums released in the decade.

it isn't an amazing achievement if they're not very good. I don't think bands can be judged by the quantity of their work. The Beatles' achievement weren't the number of songs they recorded, it was the songs themselves.

Back
Top Bottom