Would it be a step backward if Mister Macphisto made a return next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Earnie Shavers said:
It's stuff like that that I do miss. There's more in that MacPhisto set of songs then in an entire Elevation or Vertigo show - if you're paying attention.

I agreed with everything you said up until this point. Yes, the theatre element was amazing with Zoo TV, and yes the amount of "stuff" going on with Macphisto is amazing. Nevertheless, you can be certain people were crying about the glory days of U2 during Zoo TV. When we look back at Vertigo I think we'll marvel about how genious the blindfolded/abu garb (sp) prisoner act is. I mean that shit is bold and pure theatre.

blueyedpoet said:
When we look back at Vertigo I think we'll marvel about how genious the blindfolded/abu garb (sp) prisoner act is. I mean that shit is bold and pure theatre. [/B]

Can you elaborate? I haven't seen any Vertigo shows.

blueyedpoet said:

When we look back at Vertigo I think we'll marvel about how genious the blindfolded/abu garb (sp) prisoner act is. I mean that shit is bold and pure theatre.

Perhaps, but I've got to admit, It didn't do anything for me.

"So yeah, if Bono sees another fan dressed in full MAcphisto costume, pulls him up on stage, and basically has a confrontation with him (theatre of course) and switched his hat for the fans horns, swapped jackets as well etc, like he did in St Louis back in 1997, then maybe that's a cool idea. But even that has already been done."

There had been another fan dressed up as McPhisto. It happened at the first Anaheim show. Some girl was dressed up like McPhisto. Bono even brought her up on stage. It was really cool. I think that the character was defenitely genius in it's time. But bringing it back would either be a good or bad thing. They can certainly try and update the character. Still wear the same outfit that Bono wears. With the addition of the horns. That's it. Plain and simple. It would be appropriate if they did it for a Zooropa song. What do you guys think?

i was thinking a more incognito macphisto like you suggest but i dont think it would make much sense to return if he isnt on the preceeding album ala zooropa.

i should probably write this later but, as i stated before the blind-fold thing is remarkable.
First, bono beating the crap out of the drum is just an amazing emotional experience. He has looked so angry when doing so. The anger inside of him about stupid wars and stupid fighting is thrusted onto this drum.
Then Bono does his rap about co-existing. He also mentions that SBS is now America's song. I don't take this lightly. What does he mean by this?
Eventually, the three religions blind him. And, on his knees with his hands raised he looks like both a soldier about to lose his/her head and an abused prisoner. How brilliant!

I think that would be a huge step backward, kinda nostalgia act :sad: , but on the other hand Vertigo Tour IS already a nostalgia act, pretty the same as Elevation Tour :reject:

So, IMO, they should do something different, it´s such a good idea to have theatre with characters, but NEW characters this time, I don´t know... it´s difficult this time :scratch: because I don´t know what´s the point with this Vertigo Tour :eyebrow: it seems to have no concept behind the show, unlike Zoo Tv and Pop Mart :(

Maybe Bono could be a character as an Atomic Bomb, I mean, extremely powerful, risky, dangerous, someone to be afraid of :shocked: something that nobody wants to talk about :silent: something that remind us how fragile the life is :ohmy: ...

OH !!! I´m creating the new Bono´s character right now !!!!! :drool: Come on, I need more ideas !!!!!!!!!!!! :up:

I think they would look silly dressing up in different characters at their age.

Edge should put on a cowboy hat, get rid of the t-shirts and sneakers, and do something different with that goatee.

Bono should also put on a cowboy hat, grow his hair longer at the back, and get rid of the shades.

COBL_04 said:
What the hell is MacPhisto?

Stop whatever you're doing.

Get your hands on a copy of ZooTV Live from Sydney.

Now get ready to experience the pinnacle of U2's career.

You will never be the same. (Oh, and you will figure out what MacPhisto is in the process).

Zoocoustic said:

Stop whatever you're doing.

Get your hands on a copy of ZooTV Live from Sydney.

Now get ready to experience the pinnacle of U2's career.

You will never be the same. (Oh, and you will figure out what MacPhisto is in the process).

best advice you'll ever get

Back
Top Bottom