Would HTDAAB make a good final album for U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
intedomine said:
It took a little over 4 years to release this record. That's one hell of a long time.

Actually, it didn't take even half that amount of time.

2000 - release of ATYCLB, late in the year.
2001 - Elevation Tour, all year.
2002 - Best Of compilation.
2003 - I believe they began serious work in February, correct?
2004 - The album was complete in the middle of the year.

That's one and a half years.

Are they running out of ideas?
Are they getting somewhat bored with life as musicians and rock stars?
Are they questioning about whether there is more to life than being a member of u2?

- Considering what we have heard about the themes of this album, no.
- Music is their passion. Just look at the way they love being onstage. I can't see them ever becoming bored with that.
- They know there's more to life. They have families and Bono has his activism. If anything has slowed them down recently, it's that.

I actually think U2's creative peak is ahead of them. We will have another album by 2008 at the latest and it will by no means be their last.

Axver said:

I actually think U2's creative peak is ahead of them. We will have another album by 2008 at the latest and it will by no means be their last.

Creative peak ahead of them? Is this some sort of joke? Are have you just never heard of the albums Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby?

U2's creative peak is behind them.

Cheers,

J

Axver said:

Actually, it didn't take even half that amount of time.

2000 - release of ATYCLB, late in the year.
2001 - Elevation Tour, all year.
2002 - Best Of compilation.
2003 - I believe they began serious work in February, correct?
2004 - The album was complete in the middle of the year.

That's one and a half years.

It took them bits and pieces of four years to record this album. I'm sure more than half of the songs had been gestating prior to the release of ATYCLB. The year and a half is the time it took them to devote all their efforts to its completion. The bottom line is that the time line you laid out above will probably be the same if they were to record another album, so yeah, 2008 would seem about right. The thing that they have going for them is that they always leave songs off the album that seem to be the catalyst for yet another album. The more i think about it the more i think that there will be one more album. I can't see Larry in his 50's getting excited about recording another album.

I have been wondering if this could be their last. Yes, I haven't heard the new album yet, but I've noticed a few things that are making me think:

- there does seem to be some closure on this album. Musically, and also personally. On the first album, Bono talks about his mother's death, and on HTDAAB Bono is talking about his father's death. Its like the band has come full circle.

- Bono finding his lyrics to "October" just before the new album comes out is a bit eerie

- I think either Edge or Bono said that this is the first album that all four members like. How often does that happen?

- On a lighter note, Larry has been smiling a lot lately

I don't know, it would be sad if this would be it for U2. I think it would all depend on how the album is received. The band says they'll end while they're still on top. If this album does as well as JT or AB, it might happen.
And that would be so sad

Pearl said:

- I think either Edge or Bono said that this is the first album that all four members like. How often does that happen?

- On a lighter note, Larry has been smiling a lot lately

I see where you are coming from, but I personally beleive that if the band is that happy with the album they may feel like it's worth making a few more...but then again, i dont know. This is a question that no one can answer right now, not even Bono, Edge Adam, and well, yeah. :wink: but we'll just have to wait and see.

jick said:
But if for some reason or another it will be U2's last, do you guys think it would be a fitting last album?
As for me, based on the previews and reviews I think so.

What do yo guys think?

Cheers,

J

I think that this would make a fitting last post for J. :madspit:

Omens that "The End" is nearing?

Omens that "The End" is nearing?

1. U2's first album was heavily influenced by the loss of Bono's mom. HTDAAB deals with the loss of Bono's dad. Closure and going full circle perhaps?

2. Bono lost the lyrics of the October album on October 1981. A good 23 years later, on the exact same month of October Bono just happens to have a speaking engagement on the same place he lost his lyrics and the lyrics were returns. 23 years ...wasn't the first single U2-3? Closure or an omen perhaps?

3. U2's first album had the shortest title while their current album has the longest. A sign of U2's growth and maturity perhaps? Also, U2 have had album titles like War, Under A Blood Red Sky, The Unforgettable Fire --- all having to do with war. Now the current album closes all the war themes and dismantles the atomic band. Finally, love and peace from U2. War is over. Also, the boy in Boy has turned into the men in the HTDAAB cover who sit down relaxed and at ease with themselves for having a great career and great life.

4. U2 always address God in their final songs. But while he waited patiently for the Lord in War (40), questioned his presence in the world in POP (WUDM), or exalted in the Christian virtue of grace in ATYCLB (Grace) - it seems U2 have finally title a song directly about God and addressing him in his ancient. It seems that U2 have finally nailed God. U2 have gone straight to their source, to their life-giver, to their genesis in the final song of HTDAAB.

5. U2 have made an album that combines all the elements that have made them successful as a band. It's almost as if u2 want to leave the fans with a momento to remember them by. Even if the album is predominantly produced by Steve Lilywhite (who is incidentally the guy who produced U2's first album -- perhaps closure?), U2 manages to sneak in a new producer from bands they love (Chris Thomas), and the modern producer who pushed U2 artistically (Flood - credited for COBL), and the classic tandem of Eno-Lanois (LAPOE). It seems U2 left nothing behind with this album, and if it were to be the last, it would be THE album.

6. Edge admitted that this album is as close as possible to the album they have always wanted to make, yet he also admitted they will never make an album that will truly be THE album. So since this is the closest, perhaps this is THE album for them. It is also quite unlikely (yet it happened with this album), that all the band members unanimuosly like the album.

7. Even U2's new look seems to be a mix of all the elements of all the looks of U2 over the years. It seems U2 have brought "all that they can't leave behind" with this album. And these things include the soundscapes, the producers (Eno, Lanois, Lilywhite, Flood --- Howie B was left behind of course!), and eveything else that made them U2 (like Edge's signature guitar sound). The title ATYCLB in the previous album talked about leaving "to another place" (BD) and to "a place that has to be believed to be seen" (Walk On). It seems they are now in that place which they call Vertigo. So now with HTDAAB, they have finally reached the place they have longed to go to. So why come back?

8. On a more human element, Bono may have connected the loss of his father and mother and realized the importance of parents. Bono has two new young kids (Eli and that other kid) whom he would like to be a father to and spend time with. Edge also has a new young kid. U2 might want to be parents for once to their kids who are now about to grow up.

9. Why would U2 write a song called One Step Closer To Knowing if they themselves weren't one step closer to knowing?

10. U2 built their career on Live Aid. Now Live Aid will be finally released on DVD so their legend is forever captured permamently. There is closure for this open ended part, kinda like the closure for October. Also, Bono's rumored involvement with Band Aid II will give some closure also to his Band Aid involvement and could serve as a symbolic passing of the torch to the newer artists.

Cheers,

J

I'd almost answer this post another way ...

If this album is a lot like the last one in its overall feel, I'd suggest to the band that they hang it up. For example, it's hard to enjoy Morning Glory or Definitely Maybe without thinking about the last three turds Oasis has laid.

I have to say, my expectations for the new one are still low. I can't for the life of me see how a 40-something band with many millions in the bank can make an album that charts new terrority.

Sometimes I think most people on this site aren't even aware that there are other bands out there making vital, interesting music.

That said, this new album comes down to one simple thing: does it have the tunes, or doesn't it. The last one had 3 good tunes on the whole thing (BD, Walk On, Kite).

Back
Top Bottom