worst U2 song ever!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr_Macphisto

War Child
ok, I've been thinking about this all day, and it just so happens that I just noticed someone is doing this in Survivor form. Regardless, I just want to see if anyone agrees with me:

Would anyone else say that "Beautiful Ghost" on the Unreleased and Rare of the Complete U2 is without a doubt the worst song they've ever churned out? (or... never churned out). I find nothing enjoyable about the tune; no melody, no steady flow of musical progression... I assume it is just some crap that Brain Eno encouraged/ forced Bono to do. Had this song actually been on The Joshua Tree, it would definitely not be considered a grand album.

Anyways... am I right folks? "Beautiful Ghost" worst U2 song ever?

Well, it's a poetry reading, so I wouldn't knock it for not having a melody. It's all about atmosphere. "MLK" doesn't have much of a tune either, but that's not the point.

I like the "Beautiful Ghost" / "Where the Streets Have No Name" mix someone did a while back; it gives it some context.

For more great poetry-in-rock moments, see: "Streets" from the 12/26 and 12/30 Point Depot shows, tons of stuff by the Doors ("Light My Fire" / "Graveyard Poem" live is one of my faves), tons of stuff by Patti Smith (like, I dunno, "Dancing Barefoot").

(Edit: I can't believe I resisted a knock on "A Man and a Woman." I must be getting rusty. But yes, it wins the prize for me.)

Last edited:
Bah, I'm still holding out for a hard copy of this unreleased material.

It's not digital music isn't great, but at times, wouldn't you like to have a hard copies.

Hmm, typhoon, you a guy?

Seems lots of guys hate "A man & a woman."

Lots of women like/love it, which Adam rightly predicted.

To the few guys who like it, both Edge and Adam named it one of their favorites from the new album too.

thrillme said:
Hmm, typhoon, you a guy?

Seems lots of guys hate "A man & a woman."
Yeah. I think Lillywhite said he noticed the same thing on some of the fan forums (maybe this one): guys hate it, girls love it.

I wouldn't mind it if it were a B-side or something. But sticking that between "All Because of You" and "Crumbs From Your Table" is rough.

funny, because i think that from all the unreleased stuff beautiful ghost is probably the most interesting. i really love u2's atmospheric work.

from my male point of view, i think that a man and a woman is great also.

i see stranger in a strange land as the most uninspired song ever written and recorded by u2

teu87.gif

Back
Top Bottom