worst U2 song ever!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2Hearts said:

Yeah, 2 of those (Lemon and Discotheque) are in my top 10. That's along way from the bottom.
Whether people are fans of those three songs of not (I like them all myself), out of all the songs U2 have brought out I fail to see how anyone can class those as the bottom three U2 songs.

They are nowhere near being the worst songs on their albums, never mind amongst the worst that U2 has ever made.

You know, a lot of U2 songs I used to dislike have grown on me, and I like them quite a bit now.

Red Light, however, has gotten worse and worse. My god, but that's an awful song.

The worst song I have ever heard by U2 (and I only have three cds) is definitely Grace. It has to be the most boring song ever. The worst 5 minutes and 40 seconds i've ever spent in my life.

On the contrary, I quite like A Man And A Woman. It's not great, but I certainly don't mind it. :up:

Just for you coriandersterm

I talk to you, but you walk away
You're still on the down beat
You say you don't want my help

Great song, you must learn to love it.

Yeah, A man and a woman is easily my 2nd least song on HTDAAB but is far away from being the worst song ever. probably even isn't in the 20 U2 worst songs

Great song, you must learn to love it.

But ... but ... the horns! The awful backup singers! For god's sake, the horns!

:curls up in fetal position and rocks until the pain caused by the song goes away:

rjhbonovox said:

Wow that is some answer, you have a terrible taste in music if you think these great tracks are horrible, horrible music. Sweetest Thing is an ok b-side from the 80's but the others mentioned are superb.
1. Numb
3. Discotheque
4. Lemon

Hang on I just checked the list again....ahhhh I see the problem no Edge twang echo chimming guitar in there, mmmmm oh well maybe a bit leftfield for the stuck in the 80's, never like anything other than chimming Edge guitar fan, I suppose?:wink:

Has nothing to do with being stuck in the 80's...don't be so defensive. I happen to love ATYCLB and HTDAAB....last time I checked, both of those were released after 2000.

If you're insinuating that I want to hear more of the Edge, then yes. This band is at it's very best when it rocks, my friend. Give me Out Of Control, Electric Co, Pride, Streets, Until The End Of The World, Walk On, Elevation, All Because Of You, etc., etc, over that overproduced, techno, psychodelic nonsense any day. God only knows what they were thinking.

"But ... but ... the horns! The awful backup singers! For god's sake, the horns!

:curls up in fetal position and rocks until the pain caused by the song goes away:"

I didnt no a song could cause such emotional damage, then again Crazy Frog

:mad:

corianderstem said:
You know, a lot of U2 songs I used to dislike have grown on me, and I like them quite a bit now.

Red Light, however, has gotten worse and worse. My god, but that's an awful song.

Agreed. Father Is An Elephant also gives me a pain.

Meyo Mysterio said:
Some days are better than others
babyface
(maybe I just don't understand them :rolleyes: )

Oh, trust me, they are two cool and lovely songs. :wink: But I understand you... I also don't like Lemon while almost everyone :drool: about it

Refugee is not up there in the hate category, but it's the only track I actually skip over.

Daddys crashed car is an overall favorite and Stuck seems to offend others :shrug: but I have always loved it to this day. Can't explain it but it just hits me in the heart and soul.

Don't mess with me Lemons. :madspit: dems fighting words..

I love AMAAW but I want to hear Crumbs as the next single/video.
This song has great potential as a video..
IMHO :wink:

WalkOnTheEdge said:

Has nothing to do with being stuck in the 80's...don't be so defensive. I happen to love ATYCLB and HTDAAB....last time I checked, both of those were released after 2000.

If you're insinuating that I want to hear more of the Edge, then yes. This band is at it's very best when it rocks, my friend. Give me Out Of Control, Electric Co, Pride, Streets, Until The End Of The World, Walk On, Elevation, All Because Of You, etc., etc, over that overproduced, techno, psychodelic nonsense any day. God only knows what they were thinking.

Overproduced, now that's a laugh. Ironic too since you say you love HTDAAB, and HTDAAB is the epitomy of overproduction.

And please don't call it nonsense. You may not be able to appreciate them but those songs excite some people more than anything on the last two records.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

I was absolutely right then. A one dimensional music taste. The last 2 albums could easily have been recorded in the 80's. The only song that bucks the trend in your list above is Until The End Of The World. Overproduced mmmmmmm If any music is going to be described as overproduced then it has to be the last 2 albums and especially HTDAAB. I think the word you were looking for to describe the 90's is experimentation and not the 4 beats to the bar straight up rawk and roll you so clearly prefer!:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

I was absolutely right then. A one dimensional music taste. The last 2 albums could easily have been recorded in the 80's.

When you say I'm stuck in the 80's, you're implying I would not like anything AFTER the 80's. Obviously not true. I've burned a hole in AB over the years and I enjoy the last two. Nothing there would suggest I'm stuck in the 80's. And when you say the last two could have easily been recorded in the 80's, you're saying that in almost a put-down way. Isn't that what we all want?? Vintage U2??

As for my interest in the band, I will gladly stand up and shout out that I want the straight at ya rock that this band is capable of. The most perfect song to sum up what I want from this band is Electric Co. from Under A Blood Red Sky. The Edge at his finest, a thumping beat, and great vocals. Rock and Roll, brother!

Last edited:
WalkOnTheEdge said:

And when you say the last two could have easily been recorded in the 80's, you're saying that in almost a put-down way. Isn't that what we all want?? Vintage U2??

Ahhh so vintage U2 is 80's U2?

One's I don't like...

Peace On Earth, When I Look At The World, Grace

Possibly some of the passengers stuff. But some of these songs you people are saying? Numb? Discotheque? IN A LITTLE WHILE. hmph. :mad:

labell said:
One's I don't like...

Possibly some of the passengers stuff.

Ahhhh I eagerly await Passengers:Original Soundtracks Volume 2, but as Bono said back in 1997 "If only to get Larry out of the left side of his brain" it's more like now "if only to get U2 out of the 80's side of their brain"!:wink:

u2granny said:
Agreed. Father Is An Elephant also gives me a pain.
what about the king's new clothes? no one ever talks about that!

U2 did have some bad early songs (when i say early i'm talking pre-boy). i think some of those would make my list.

KhanadaRhodes said:

what about the king's new clothes? no one ever talks about that!

U2 did have some bad early songs (when i say early i'm talking pre-boy). i think some of those would make my list.

Oh dear Lord, I forgot about that one. Then there's Lost On A Distant Planet. I hear it and see purple gloves.

Last edited:
Dr_Macphisto said:
ok, I've been thinking about this all day, and it just so happens that I just noticed someone is doing this in Survivor form. Regardless, I just want to see if anyone agrees with me:

Would anyone else say that "Beautiful Ghost" on the Unreleased and Rare of the Complete U2 is without a doubt the worst song they've ever churned out? (or... never churned out). I find nothing enjoyable about the tune; no melody, no steady flow of musical progression... I assume it is just some crap that Brain Eno encouraged/ forced Bono to do. Had this song actually been on The Joshua Tree, it would definitely not be considered a grand album.

Anyways... am I right folks? "Beautiful Ghost" worst U2 song ever?

My Hammy or My Nanny or My Mammy no sorry it's called Miami. I may just not get the vibe but I absolutely LOATH that song. :madspit: :mad:

Back
Top Bottom