Worst u2 performance you seen/heard? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:53 PM
Worst u2 performance you seen/heard?

The one i would go for, and i was reminded just how bad it is upon listening to yesterday, is the smile jamica performance from around 1989. In particular when love comes to town wif keef richards. tis an absoloute shambles. I waited up late for this performance and cant tell you how dissapointed I was by the end!!

Old 07-26-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 10:53 PM
I seem to remember they did a performance of One on a tv show sometime during the HTDAAB promo tour. That was absolutely awful. As usual, Bono was 'improvising' with his lyrics, it sounded like sh.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:53 PM
Re: Worst u2 performance you seen/heard?

Quote:
Originally posted by gman
The one i would go for, and i was reminded just how bad it is upon listening to yesterday, is the smile jamica performance from around 1989. In particular when love comes to town wif keef richards. tis an absoloute shambles. I waited up late for this performance and cant tell you how dissapointed I was by the end!!
it was from oct of 88. they seemed a little rusty, yeah.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:51 PM   #4
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by WalkOn21
I seem to remember they did a performance of One on a tv show sometime during the HTDAAB promo tour. That was absolutely awful. As usual, Bono was 'improvising' with his lyrics, it sounded like sh.
You must be thinking of another performance of One; it wasn't played at all during 2004, or in 2005 before the Vertigo Tour began.

I think the worst performance I've ever seen for myself is Out Of Control on 2005-05-26 - it may just have been the worst technical performance of that song ever. But for the atmosphere and wave of energy and excitement that it represented, I would also have to consider it one of the best and most fun performances ever.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-26-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
you are what you is

full band version of Stay during Zooropa

really stood out like something bad in a lot of goodness
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-26-2006, 06:35 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:53 PM
I hated the MLK version during the Super Bowl. Bono was clearly having vocal issues that day (a cold?), but the scratchiness works perfectly on a song like "Beautiful Day" (and songs like "One", "In a Little While", etc.). The scratchiness was masked nicely on "Streets" too. However, on MLK, he sounded horrid. Plus, the song just seemed so out of place. I'm not sure it fit in as nicely as they hoped.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:53 PM
Opening night, PopMart, Vegas. My first U2 show. I was soooooo excited and the band basically took the stage and shit the bed. It's probably U2's most famous "bad" concert.

PopMart never quite recovered, and still gets a bad rap as a tour (unfair, IMO), in large part from that opening night.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #8
War Child

Local Time: 05:53 PM
Crumbs From Your Table, 10/4/2005
Bono magically sings two different lyrics at the same time
Old 07-26-2006, 08:34 PM   #9
War Child

Local Time: 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ifeelnumb84
Crumbs From Your Table, 10/4/2005
Bono magically sings two different lyrics at the same time
I remember that...

WOWY from 5/26/05 was pretty shitty as well. They weren't all there that night, but it was amazing anyway.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:43 PM   #10
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug

PopMart never quite recovered, and still gets a bad rap as a tour (unfair, IMO), in large part from that opening night.
Gotta disagree mate , in both hands , 1st the bad rap , doesn't happen outside the US

2nd Did you see how Popmart was taken in europe , or in 98 , it did recover , at least on these places , when the show was already in the right tune , all was left to say is that some fans "didn't get it"
Old 07-26-2006, 09:21 PM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 06:53 PM
Among the 300+ concerts I've listened to, Vertigo Chicago DVD ranks at the top 10 worst U2 performances . Also the 3 nights performed in Boston 2001 are far from being even average.

Other bad one is one of the most overrated ever, the famous "Unforgettable Night" in Bologna 1985. Zoo TV and Pop Mart opening nights shouldn't be taken as "Best" performances for sure

Finally almost every gig for Super Bowl, olympics or whatever and every single performance of Hands That Built America have been among the worst U2 performances ever
Old 07-26-2006, 09:55 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by ponkine
Vertigo Chicago DVD ranks at the top 10 worst U2 performances .
I've not listened to anything near 300 shows, but from my limited range, that Chicago DVD stands out to me as well. So incredibly flat, not just as a performance on that night, but as an overall performance reflective of that tour and the entire feel of the show. It's the only one of the U2 DVD's/videos I've watched and not wished I was there. From Bono's wankfest entrance onwards it stinks. Elevation Boston is a hundred times better and as someone who (as yet) went to neither an Elevation nor Vertigo show, basing my judgement on those two DVD's, Elevation gets my vote hands down.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:37 PM   #13
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
full band version of Stay during Zooropa

really stood out like something bad in a lot of goodness
really? I think the version from 1993-08-28 Dublin is almost as good as the album version

But the Tibetan Freedom Concert really disappointed me.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:53 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Popmart, Giant's Stadium, May 31st, 1997.

The band had no mojo. Bono had no voice. The crowd cared only for Pride and Streets.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:02 PM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by amerrydeath

I remember that...

WOWY from 5/26/05 was pretty shitty as well. They weren't all there that night, but it was amazing anyway.
I agree WOWY wasn't great, but that concert as a whole was amazing.
The surprise of UTTETOW and Out of Control were worth the price of admission.
And seeing 17,000 people pump their fists in unison to Gloria so early in the set (and to such an old song) was amazing.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:02 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

I've not listened to anything near 300 shows, but from my limited range, that Chicago DVD stands out to me as well. So incredibly flat, not just as a performance on that night, but as an overall performance reflective of that tour and the entire feel of the show. It's the only one of the U2 DVD's/videos I've watched and not wished I was there. From Bono's wankfest entrance onwards it stinks. Elevation Boston is a hundred times better and as someone who (as yet) went to neither an Elevation nor Vertigo show, basing my judgement on those two DVD's, Elevation gets my vote hands down.
Not a big fan of it either. At first I enjoyed it, till I saw all the bootlegs, and Sao Paulo.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:18 AM   #17
Refugee

Stuttgart / Germany 6th june 1993 ZooTv
it seemed that they had some technical difficulties...
Old 07-27-2006, 04:22 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Worst u2 performance you seen/heard?

Quote:
Originally posted by gman
I quite like that performance actually, but I think I may be looking back on t with rose tinted glasses
I remember being disapointed because they played all new songs from rattle and hum, which had just been released and i didnt know them. They didn't play desire, which was the single at the time, though they did play angel of harlem.
I remember an awful performance of love rescue me, with some particuarly dreadful solo's by keith richards!!
Luckily they practiced a bit and got everything perfect for the awesome lovetown shows
Old 07-27-2006, 05:33 AM   #19
New Yorker

As far as the Chicago DVD goes....I agree, its dull and lifeless and an under par performance. Why cant they wait till the songs are more established live and u2 are in flow to record an official release. Also i think, and al probably get pelters for this but i dont really care, they should film european concerts more as the crowds are far more enthusiastic. Look at SLANE for example compared to Boston or Chicago. Nuff said!

And GAVIN, i think yer like me and remember that U2 period very fondly, but c'mon, they were pish that night (considering its u2!)
Maybe the problem is I am judging it by the then fairly recent release of Rattle and Hum which in my mind is a superb Film and then to witness that monstrosity. Think they were well hammered that night too which is prob backed up by the fact Keef was there and level of performance.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:41 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I hate all the Vertigo show bashing. I like Chicago, some of it gives me real chills.
But I agree to the point that they absolutely should have released a European outdoors concert on DVD with more atmosphere and enthusiasm.