Worst u2 performance you seen/heard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
last unicorn said:
I hate all the Vertigo show bashing. I like Chicago, some of it gives me real chills.
But I agree to the point that they absolutely should have released a European outdoors concert on DVD with more atmosphere and enthusiasm.

Milan is very likely coming out so...

I don't think the performance was bad in Chicago (despite the band having had roughly a month less to prepare than Elevation DVD in Boston), I think the director didn't capture the audience.
Still I'd rate it ahead of Boston 2001 when it comes to directing and I like the little spontaneous bits like "frog in my throat" and a major bonus for not editing out/skipping songs.
I like Slane too for the relaxed band and of course the amazing home crowd.

Ifeelnumb84 said:
Crumbs From Your Table, 10/4/2005
Bono magically sings two different lyrics at the same time

:ohmy: I didn't know that. Anyone have a clip of this? There is nothing on youtube.

An Cat Gav said:
Am i the only U2 fan in the world who doesn't think that the Slane Castle show was the best thing since sliced bread? I like it and everything, but for me the set list was fairly uninspired and is it my imagination, but is the show kinda short as well?

I agree. It's never really struck me as exceptional. I don't think it's truly bad, but it doesn't leave me feeling much. I honestly find some of the performances kinda boring, including the supposedly great Out Of Control.

worst u2 performance

The worse u2 performance I saw was Toronto night 2 on Vertigo tour. I guess the boys were in a rush to attend the film festival afterwards because they played the shortest setlist on the vertigo tour and there was no vibe to the concert. Bono didn't seem into it and even though they brought Lanois up for Bad, he was terrible (he kept playing the same note). Toronto 1 and 4 was a thousand percent better................

It may not technically be U2, but there is a Bono performance from the UF era that's pretty bad. B is a guest of Bob Dylans and while U2 and BD are like my two favorite artists ever, when they get together bad things tend to happen (see Love Rescue Me). Anyway, Bono (or as Bob said, Bone-O) is called up to sing Blowing in the Wind with Bob. Bono is obviously nervous and forgets the lyrics and comes up with gems such as this one, which I paraphrase....

"And how many....(pause).....papers must we readbeforewegotobedatnight....before we can get to be free!"
:ohmy:

^ :lol: I have that... I quite enjoy it.

I can upload the Crumbs disaster tomorrow night when I get home. Bono apologizes for the "interference" during it, and while I was at the show, I couldn't quite hear him clearly so I thought he was talking about our Inteference. :wink:

Earnie Shavers said:

I've not listened to anything near 300 shows, but from my limited range, that Chicago DVD stands out to me as well. So incredibly flat, not just as a performance on that night, but as an overall performance reflective of that tour and the entire feel of the show.

For me too, especially the SBS/BtBS section. SBS was the most bland performance I've ever seen/heard (compare "Jesus, Jew, Mohammed it's true" to "fuck the revolution") and BtBS almost got boring, when they snippeted Johnny and Hands.

I thought I already gave you the answer.

That performance of 'Don't Take YOur GUns to Town' about 5 or 6 years ago on American television.

If you can name a worse performance, I'd be ....not impressed.
But convinced.

I agree that the Boston DVD is the worst. It destroyed my impression of the Elevation tour. The performance was just so dead at times. Couldn't they have recorded a different show?

Wow that is so vastly different to the opinions I regularly hear about it. I have only The Fly from it, but man that perfomance is KICK-ASS.

COBL_04 said:

Wow that is so vastly different to the opinions I regularly hear about it. I have only The Fly from it, but man that perfomance is KICK-ASS.

the fly is my number 1 song of all time and that version is the best i've ever heard, even rivalling the original version!!!!!!

Screwtape2 said:
I agree that the Boston DVD is the worst. It destroyed my impression of the Elevation tour. The performance was just so dead at times. Couldn't they have recorded a different show?

I was there and it wasn't so dead as it seems:rockon:....come on now..how many times does edge throw down his guitar in disgust?:wink:

COBL_04 said:

I agree about The Fly but if you see or hear the rest of the show you might agree with me. If not for the bootlegs I heard of the tour I would have based my opinion of tour on the DVD. The tour was actually pretty good. Thank U2 for Slane!

Although Zooropa live is rarer than hens teeth, I witnessed one of the performances and would have to say it wsnt that bad. Was slightly perplexed as to why they started half way thro the song tho if my failing memory serves me right:huh:
I have heard worse offerings....did i mention smile jamica at all:dancing:

Last edited:
Screwtape2 said:

I agree about The Fly but if you see or hear the rest of the show you might agree with me. If not for the bootlegs I heard of the tour I would have based my opinion of tour on the DVD. The tour was actually pretty good. Thank U2 for Slane!

I actually bought it today, and while I didn't watch Stay or Gone yet, I thought it was pretty good. There is an obvious difference between indoor and outdoor shows, but there were some rippers on there. I Will Follow is one of the best live performances ever, the guitar, everything just rocks, The Fly is fantastic, I don't think I've ever heard a better version. Boston's Walk On is better than Slane's but I was disappointed with Wake up Dead Man. It was even shorter than Slane's!

Boston DVD is less then the Slane dvd for me.

But stil it has some amazing stuff, like Gone (one of the best versions ever), Stay and ofcourse The Fly. :drool:

Screwtape2 said:

Actually, If I remember correctly, the performance of Gone is from the night before not the night where most of the DVD was filmed.

yes thats correct:yes:

So they have their ups and downs, alright. I'd consider it a little strange if everything about every performance would be just perfect. They are human after all.
And regarding the DVD releases, I am not a big fan of music DVD's either, I guess everybody should just stop expecting anything even close to a live show atmosphere from watching a DVD, it can only be a disappointment.

I would like for U2 to just record a couple of shows and then release the best one on dvd
and not do this cut and paste from different shows crap

I like the AC/DC dvd's because you always get to hear Angus messing up a bit in 1 or 2 songs :D

amerrydeath said:
^ :lol: I have that... I quite enjoy it.

I can upload the Crumbs disaster tomorrow night when I get home. Bono apologizes for the "interference" during it, and while I was at the show, I couldn't quite hear him clearly so I thought he was talking about our Inteference. :wink:

Oh, could you please :) thanks so much.

Do You Feel Loved Popmart Vegas was pretty brutal, but I would have liked to see them continue to try and rework this song live.

Back
Top Bottom