Worst U2 band comparisons - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2006, 12:06 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 03:29 AM
Worst U2 band comparisons

Excluding Coldplay since that comparison has been done over and over, what bands do you think have gotten very misplaced comparisons to U2?

I was watching TRL one day because a celebrity I liked was making an appearence, and they had a video for Good Charlotte that was very war-torn, and politically driven, and at the end of the video, the woman host said, "Wow, Good Charlotte is looking more and more like U2 every day."......At that moment I really thought I'd have to stab a bitch.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:15 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 02:29 AM
1. REM, I don't really see where the musical likeness is.
2. The Police, just because Andy Summers and Edge have styles closer to each other than other guitarists doesn't mean these two groups sound alike.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:32 AM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
1. REM, I don't really see where the musical likeness is.
I think for a long time REM and U2's careers were very similar, but as far as their sounds I agree with you.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:38 AM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Worst U2 band comparisons

Quote:
Originally posted by goincommando

I was watching TRL one day because a celebrity I liked was making an appearence, and they had a video for Good Charlotte that was very war-torn, and politically driven, and at the end of the video, the woman host said, "Wow, Good Charlotte is looking more and more like U2 every day."......At that moment I really thought I'd have to stab a bitch.
One of the best quotes I ever heard about Good Charlotte:

Quote:
"Good Charlotte is like a popsicle that's been stuck up someone's ass. Hey, but if that's your thing"
Eddie Vedder
Old 08-12-2006, 06:16 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:29 PM
I think we can officially label that as the worst comparison.

The only thing they have in common is they make music. One makes brilliant music, the other ones will be long forgotten in 25 years.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:44 AM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I think for a long time REM and U2's careers were very similar, but as far as their sounds I agree with you.

The only time their careers were a little bit similar was in the period Out of Time-Automatic for The People. Both albums were a big succes like U2's Achtung Baby. After that REM's commercial and artistic succes slowly faded away.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:55 AM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 03:29 PM
Simple Minds ...during the 80's.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:18 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think the REM/U2 comparisons stem from just the simple fact they are contemporaries of each other. That and the fact they were both kinda going for the "biggest band in the world" title at the same time during the 90's, until Bill left the band.

But, yeah, as others have said, their sounds really aren't very comparable.

I've never heard the Police comparison before, either.

The current one that bugs me is when that guy from Blink182 tries to describe his new band's sound. It still sounds like blink182 to me. I can't get past the snotty voice.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:29 AM
Simple Minds does sound a little like U2 now and then.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:32 AM   #10
The Fly

Local Time: 03:29 PM
Hmm thinking more pre '84 era ....
Old 08-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #11
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Taking Back Sunday lol.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:07 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Anytime someone compares Queen and U2. They're not even in the same league.

Old 08-12-2006, 02:08 PM   #13
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:29 AM
Pink Floyd, The Beatles, and I'd also agree with The Police and Queen. These bands are so completely different from U2 - it's like comparing apples and oranges.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:19 PM   #14
The Fly

If you read the reviews for Keane and Angels & Airwaves new albums, in both cases, virtually every review makes a "sounds like U2/Edge" comment!

A&A reviews:

Quote:
Listening to all this Edge-y guitar doodling and whiny wailing, the question remains: Why mess with a fun, 20-million-album-selling formula for this ponderous prog project?
Quote:
While Angels & Airwaves are pretty good, don't pick up We Don't Have To Whisper expecting a revolutionary sound designed to shatter your worldview and change your life. On the other hand, if you want something to fill the gap while U2 are recording are their new album, look no further.For this album is so close to Bono and the boys that it's a surprise to find it wasn't recorded underneath a Joshua Tree.

Quote:
The lyrics and tone here are as positive and serious as Blink's were juvenile, and "Joshua Tree"-era U2 is an obvious sonic blueprint. It works best on "The Adventure" and "The War" with David Kennedy utilizing Edge-like echo-guitar effects miles away from punky power chords.

Quote:
The resulting batch of songs... just pad out the duller bits of blink, then add walls of mid-'80s-era U2 guitar chimes.

Quote:
Specifically, he layers delayed guitars ripped from U2 over soundscapes equally inspired by the Cure, New Order, Peter Gabriel, and The Unforgettable Fire, all in an attempt to fashion a modern-day protest record.

Quote:
It’s a much more laid-back and 'mature' affair than we have seen played with both the impressive Box Car Racer material and also in the last Blink album but by aiming to sound like U2 and Pink Floyd, AVA ends up sounding like an emo version of an even more plodding Coldplay.

Keane reviews:

http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/m...iew.asp?ID=879

Quote:
Actually, "Is It Any Wonder" is a great song, although it sounds an awful lot like a song U2 recorded over a decade ago called "Zoo Station."
Quote:
It would appear that Tim, Tom and Richard have spent some time at the U2 School of Squillion-Selling Records, their final project sounding more expansive and dramatic than Hopes And Fears ever did.
Quote:
"A Bad Dream," an album highlight, borrows the drum-machine-fuelled groove of Aqualung's "Strange and Beautiful" and marries it with All That You Can't Leave Behind-era U2, complete with the Edge's trademark delayed guitar sounds.
Quote:
No, Keane make sure that Iron Sea is filled with the sort of greeting-card poetry that would even give Bono pause.
...Pitchfork assholes!

Quote:
When they're not apeing War-era U2 ('Crystal Ball') they're apeing Achtung Baby-era U2 ('Is It Any Wonder?').
Quote:
If you’re in a band and want a career, you have to look at the U2 blueprint: the consistency of sound, the constant hedging of bets and consolidation of victories with repetitions of formula; that peculiar strain of anthemic, everyman songwriting that constantly steps to the borderline between ecclesiastical joy and money-laundering conservatism.
...Ouch!
Old 08-12-2006, 02:34 PM   #15
Refugee

Many Keane and Angels & Airwaves songs DO sound like U2. Not as good obviously, but the influence is obvious.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:50 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 12:29 AM
Worst Comparison = Bon Jovi
Old 08-12-2006, 03:39 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoodlem
Worst Comparison = Bon Jovi
There are people who seriously compare Bon Jovi to U2??

If that's true, it's worst comparison of all time.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:37 PM   #18
The Fly

Yeah, when I was living in Ireland I asked a girl I was talking to at a pub if she liked U2. She said something like "yeah, but I love Bon Jovi, do you listen to him?"She thought they were basically similar.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:10 PM   #19
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:29 AM
Modern Talking
Old 08-14-2006, 06:12 AM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Peterrrrr
Modern Talking
I hope, you're just kidding now...

Anyway, there is a similarity in Coldplay's music to U2's music style , but to tell the truth, I don't think they can ever write so great ROCK -songs (including their lyrics) that U2 did!
(PS.: I don't like Crhis Martin's voice...)